February 27th, 2009
2 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. LeiLanie ALABAMA WOMAN

I stii think all this is RUBBAGE about the Bushs'!!!!! The are USA citizens & have a right 2 live their lives as they see fit. I meen, Did they hold a gun at my head & tell me 2 over exstend myself 2 BUY a home that it takes 2 incomes 2 pay 4 it. OHHHH & about those BIG EXPENSIVE SUV & HUMMERS!!! I guess the Bushs' MADE all those IDIOTS go into DETT HAHA 2 buy them also. I call it "LIVING BEYOND YOUR MEENS"!!!!!!!!!!! So leave Laura & W Bush alone & let them live their lives as they have the same roght as I/we DO

February 27, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  2. Barbara Ca

Hold on there "Jeez",

As a child we sang a song at church that said "The Father up above, is looking down with love, be careful little mouth what you say". Whether you are someone with a little mouth or a big mouth, that song is still true today.

Calling any woman a name, (whether Laura Bush or Michelle Obama) simply lets people know exactly how you were brought up. Having people who talk like you in the world, really makes me worry about our children.

February 27, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  3. Leah DiMarco, Texas

God Bless the Obama Family.
    And thank goodness Bush is out of D.C.!

February 27, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  4. Republicans are ankle biters

Bush was another loud mouthed Texan like Jerry Jones and just as much a loser.

February 27, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  5. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Hey Mrs. Bush – Don't worry about not having a kitchen table – many people in the USA don't have a house or a roof over there heads!
    And they also don't live in multi-million dollar houses – just call up the furniture store and they will bring you whatever you want.

February 27, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  6. David

BP92: Well spoken

February 27, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  7. pete

hey, you know what. i did not watch the speech either. And from what i have seen on the tv news it was the same old speech he has been spewing. I for one am proud i served in Iraq unlike most of you people here that have never served one day for the country. Plus your man cannot even say Victory when it comes to Iraq. How pathetic. I was glad to serve under Bush. Oil, you stupid people still think it was because of oil. Get a clue.

February 27, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  8. Pundit

She simply forgot??? Forgot to watch the most important address given by a president since...ummm...well I will let someone else fill that blank in.

Did she "forget" because she is so isolated from reality (financially and physically) or does she just not care?

February 27, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  9. tee

DH

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 27, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  10. Hazel

It's a shame Mrs. Bush didn't see the President's address. Forgot? Excuse me. Her actions are a reflection on what's wrong and what's going wrong in this country.

February 27, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  11. Jeff

As she's enjoying life in her new home I wonder if Laura Bush ever remembers the guy she hit and killed with her car?

February 27, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. arithmetic is liberal

Teddy K –

Just to return the question to you:

Why is it that this story doesn't appear in any serious paper, and only appears on conservative blogs repeating emailed whisper campaigns?

The credibility of that story is somewhat lacking.

February 27, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  13. Darrin

Probably have no furniture right because it is probably being custom made. Oh Boo-Hoo so sorry to see you leave NOT!!!!

February 27, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  14. Cindy Tx

@Joe Fattal February 27th, 2009 4:31 pm ET
    She still looks like the first lady she was for 8 years. That one that we have now, she probably would make a Mrs muscle universe, than a first lady***.Laura is nice Lady .....Michelle is a beautiful and intelligent
    1ST Lady .....I guess you forgot your Mom won the Mrs muscle Universe Contest

February 27, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. I Deplore Ignorance and Arrogance

Ignorance said:

All those that think Bush is uneducated please stop making those ignorant comments. Bush has an ivy league education. He also was smart enough to get elected, take your money and use it to make him, his family and friends rich, so who is the dumb person!

GEORGE BUSH IS UNEDUCATED

Way back when, Yale & other Ivy schools did not kick you out if you managed to keep a C grade level.

Unlike most attendees, Bush was a double-legacy into Yale (as well as Skull & Bones legacy), so the entry requirements were dramatically lower for him.

To say that Bush IS educated, one would have to show ANYTHING that he has done that demonstrated competence.

Every company he ran LOST money except the baseball team.

He wasn't smart enough to get elected; he was clever enough to find Karl Rove and STEAL the election TWICE.

George W. Bush was quite arrogant. Arrogance is merely ignorance matured.

Here is hoping that the Bush/Cheney criminal regime are hauled before the world court on war crimes. Other crimes against only America will be prosecuted here.

Has anyone ever noticed that Republicans claim to be Christians yet rarely exhibit any Christian behaviors on a routing basis?

Has anyone ever noticed that the real Christians are the "quiet" Christians would let their deeds demonstration their real values.

Loud Christians are ususally just pretending to be Christians.

February 27, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  16. Janet Spatulia

Gee I sure hope her move is going swell. I'd hate for her to be even slightly discomforted for even a moment, despite the disaster her husband has made of the nation

February 27, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. Oregon

What, back to your old routine of cheating, lying, stealing and murder?

You're both dispicable.

Ole' Crazy Eye's Laura is as bad as her idiot husband. We don't want to hear from you.

February 27, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  18. Cmon Laura

I live in the Dallas area and was just watching the local news and who was there...lady Laura complainig about not getting her Dallas morning news paper on time...what tha ?????

February 27, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  19. Oregon

The American People will not rest until the Idiot W and his cronys are in prison for the rest of their lives.

February 27, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  20. bill Daul

It is so sweet you can get children's books on the Kindle for George!

February 27, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  21. Wayne from Fullerton, CA

Why do you always have a frivolous story as your lead?
    Really getting tired of this.
    Although I am surprised there is not Sarah Palin story.

February 27, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  22. Constance

She forgot, because she didn't want to watch a man with a brain make an excellant speech and actually string together a whole sentence.

February 27, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  23. BP92

Robert,

No need to lose your cool and yell.

No ones imperfections are greater or lesser than anyone else's. You are correct that the effect of W's mistakes are far greater than ours because of the position he held. Laura on the other had was just supporting her husband. I think most husbands would expect that. She wasn't involved in the day-to-day operation of the country.

My point is that all of us are slaves to our imperfections and it does nothing to rake it all through the mud after it is too late to do anything about it. Better to look forward and make the best of a bad situation.

All these people in this discussion about everything that was done wrong are only making themselves more miserable re-living it over and over. And some are downright disrespectful and mean spirited.

I too have lost my job as well as 60% of my retirement at the age of 55. But what will being a victim do for me? I choose to not be a victim. I try to choose a higher ground. I do my best to get over it and move on because in this time and space there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

February 27, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  24. Gwyn

Mrs. Laura Bush is a fine woman. She was probably asked some very polite questions. As she has always done, she responded politely, without much political shading.
    I am no fan of the Bush administration, but the man was President. It is an office that deserves respect. Additionally, he didn't single-handedly destroy America. Every mistake, every flaw in judgment, every bad call was backed by an ever-so-willing congress.
    Now that there is a new president, and a different congress. If you want to talk politics, focus on that administration and what they are doing. Focus on House of Representatives and the Senate and what they are doing.
    Former President and Mrs. Bush are now out of the political picture. This article isn't really political. It's a snippet from teh society page. They get to worry about things like having enough chairs when they invite people over for dinner.
    There's nothing wrong with that.

February 27, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  25. JOHNMCCAIN

Sheryl February 27th, 2009 3:52 pm ET

you are all so quick to judge. They deserve the life they have now. They had to put up with all you arrogant Americans. Maybe one day you'll suffer torture like the Iraqis did and no one will be there for you. It sure sucks when presidents have to make these hard decisions. Sounds like most of you want the good life but aren't willing to pay for it. And remember President Clinton was the one who failed to get Bin Laden in the first place. Get your facts straight!!!

______________________

Why anyone, even if they are suffering is worth more than we, americans to spend the money on? They need to rise up and clean out their own country. Is it ok to spend money (through war) on others in another country that will never adopt democracy the way the West sees it, or rather on us Americans who need better skills and education to prosper? You know the answer yourself too.

February 27, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |