February 27th, 2009
4 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. Oregon

BP92 – hey you idiot.

I never killed a single person with any lies. I never robbed a soverign country of it's natural resources killing thousands in the process. I never lied to an entire nation in order to do it. I never killed a soldier with my lies, nor did I kill somebody's grandmother, mother, aunt, uncle, child, father, grandfather – such as the idiot W did with his greed and money hungry friends.

Why do you defend these criminals.

You haven't a leg to stand on so sit down and STFU!

February 27, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  2. JMS

Who really cares what those two are doing now!!! Her husband is an invalid who has destroyed this Country and left it in a poop hole mess before he left office. I hope they can't find any furniture and have to sleep and eat on the floor!!!

February 27, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  3. B

geez liberals get over yourselves stop being bitter because you are now having "buyer's remorse". Obama has done more damage to the US since taking office than Bush did in 8 years.

February 27, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  4. Steve in Louisville

I'll bet he'll have even less furniture when he's in PRISON!

What a couple of jerks.

February 27, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  5. Polly

lol...no kitchen table? She must know exactly what she wants.

February 27, 2009 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  6. texas teacher

So what? Bush and Co. raped this country and left us bleeding on the floor. Now we are supposed to sympathize with their search for furniture? People all over this country are losing their homes... Furniture? Give me strength!

February 27, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  7. V. Marie

How rude and incredibly shallow. Being so concerned about women's conditions and rights in Afghanistan would, at the least, translate in being a good example in showing an interest in what our current President has to say about our country and it's policies and how it might affect women in this country. Though, waiting for your new dining room set in your mansion can be overwhelming. Sigh.

February 27, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  8. baker

So what was inside the "ranch" at Crawford?

February 27, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  9. Gerry, Eugene, OR

Isn’t that what Steve Martin used to say that when you’re being audited by the IRS you should say: “I forgot.” Sounds just as plausible to me that GB and the Missus just forgot to watch the guy that became president by banging GW over the head for just about everything under the sun, and some other things not under the sun. Ha! I forgot, indeed!

February 27, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. Rosie

Kudos to Laura for all she did and continues to do for our country. And...she did it without having to "visit" all the federal agencies in the government within the first month(s) of her husband's term.

February 27, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  11. texas teacher

Come on, Mrs. Bush! were you living under a rock while your husband sold this country down the tubes?
    These republicans have played our behinds like a deck of cards.... and they want to continue! Seriously...

February 27, 2009 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  12. bill

you liberals are such a joke. all of you who can do nothing but hate only show your true colors.... a bunch of intolerant fools who attack others who dont have the same beliefs as you all. make no mistake about it, I am 150% positive President Bush is far more intelligent than any of you. Its so laughable that Obama can stutter like a babbling idiot and also make mistakes when talking yet you all and your left wing media pay no attention to it but if someone you disapprove of does it you label them as dumb or an idiot. If you are looking for an idiot or a stupid person try looking in the mirror. (btw, I am not saying Obama is dumb... he simply makes mistakes like any of us) . You people who behave this way also show just how immature and unintelligent you are.

February 27, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  13. cord

It's truly amazing to see all the vicious and mean-spirited remarks by those Obama supporters who have supposedly espoused "tolerance" and eschewed the alleged mean-spiritedness of Republicans. You're no better than the pot calling the kettle black. . .

Remember, this is Laura Bush, not her husband. She wasn't voted into office, didn't make one decision regarding policy, didn't veto or approve any bill . . . yet people are being pretty vicious toward her for simply answering a question that was asked her about what life was like now . . .
    Why don't some of you grow up, quit acting like you're in junior high, and contribute a somewhat thoughtful and respectful response to the article. If not, please keep your 11-year-old thoughts to yourself.

February 27, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  14. SuperDuperIndependent

I realize many of you are consumed with hate towards this man (he does make an easy target). You project all your troubles and anxiety on him the same way you project your hopes for a better future on Obama. Trouble is only YOU control your destiny not some dude in the whitehouse or a neighborhood in Dallas. Stop acting like impotent, indolent, losers. Get on with your life. If not you will continue to stew in your self-made suffering. Get some help folks. Find a hobby. Break free!!! Just do something.

February 27, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  15. Darth Vadik, CA

I don't care.
    Unless she puts George in a box and ships him to Baghdad (so he can search for oil himself), please for the love of the sanity of the world, CNN, I'm begging you don't write about any Bushes, including the plants. I've had enough of Bushes for the rest of my life.

February 27, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  16. Laura

You people who are continuing to bash Pres. Bush are pathetic. He isn't president any more...get over it. And by the way, those of you who are complaining that Bush ruined the economy are even more pathetic. In case you missed it, Congress has control of the purse in the United States and for the last 6 years Congress has been controlled by Democrats. After every State of the Union Address by Bush the stock market jumped. Every time Obama opens his mouth, our stock market drops again. My 401K NEVER lost money when Bush was in office. It has lost money every day since Obama has been there. Furthermore, Obama has just introduced the largest deficeit spending since WWII. We have to spend money to save money?! What kind of genius idea is that? I guess we really do have monkeys running the government. Obama is the one of the biggest jokes we've ever had. Claiming change and then re-hiring almost 80% of Clinton's staff.

February 27, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  17. Miguel Perez

American people are just becoming so so ignorant, I came to this country because of the traditional American values, self reliance, hard work but surprise, American people, I would say liberal Americans are just ignorants, rude and they like to cry like babies, most of you lefty people do not like to work hard, you want the government to give you everything because you are not capable to do anything for youself, I am not surprise that you prefer to confiscate money from other American people who work harder than you to pay for your pizza and tv cable, keep watching tv, and you are going to be the best liberal person possible. I forgot, please complain about Bush family everyday to make your day complete

February 27, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  18. slp

God bless you Mrs. Bush. This country does not realize what a great president your husband was but one day will. He was not perfect but he sought God's will in each decision he made and truly loves this country. The bible says that in the end times wrong will be considered right and right will be considered wrong. Just remember that God put the calling on your husband's life to be president for a reason. I believe that reason was to lead us through the terrible times after 9/11. Enjoy your new life. You deserve it.

February 27, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  19. Minnesotan

Posted by B: "Obama has done more damage to the US since taking office than Bush did in 8 years." Now THAT'S the biggest joke yet! We haven't even hit the depths of the Bush Depression and some fool thinks that one month of Obama is even in the same ballpark of Bush's economic disaster, record setting Pork, billions wasted and dead in Iraq, rampant corruption, loss of national honor and total avoidance of facts, details, truth, justice and the American Way. Thanks for the laugh!

February 27, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  20. Norom

Teddy K February 27th, 2009 6:36 pm ET

WOW….

I try to be a civil person. Never seen such hate form what is supposed to be a tolerant society.

Perhaps one of you haters can tell me why Mrs. Obama's right to practice law in Illinois was revoked by court order?

Please keep the replies civil.

It wasn't. You complain about the haters, and then turn around and do the same thing. Hypocrite much? Michelle Obama's law license is on suspension, meaning it can be reactivated, also meaning she does not have to pay malpractice and licensing fees if she is not actively practing law. It was not "revoked"

February 27, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  21. 2010

Holy smokes! They're still here? Why is CNN, trying to remind us of the eight year nightmare?

I'm just now starting to get some sleep now that we have a truely elected President Obama leading this nation back from where it had gone under you know who.

February 27, 2009 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  22. Jane

Well first of all the house is not in Highland Park. They live in Preston Hollow so the craxy person that siad the house was in Highland Park was simply lying. Lying is all the country knew to do to a man who openly expressed his faith in God, was faithful to his wife, and ran the country well and with decency. I know the woman is lying because I live in Dallas to and I know wher ethe Bushs live. People are so mean and hateful it is pathetic.

February 27, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  23. Bridg

STAY AWAY PLEASE!! Your time is up Laura. Please stick to your country-club life style while the rest of us try to dig ourselves out of the hole your dumb husband dug for us.

February 27, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  24. Chad

If I hear one more Rep. blame our mess on Clinton, Carter and 2 years of Dem. congress I am going to scream. Do some research. I was born in late 1979...Carter left office in 1981. That means in my life the GOP has had the oval office for a total of 20 years(8 years of Reagan, 4 with Bush I, and 8 with Bush II)...that only leaves 10 years (roughly) for the Dems to be in power. So you are telling me that the Dems have ruined the country in my 30 years of life with only 10 years in office? You are crazy. If the GOP could fix this country in the extra ten years they have had in office then they are incompetent...period! The math doesn't lie. Oh yeah...scream the democratic congress for the last 2 years...what about the 12 years the GOP held congress before that? I am so confused....please some Rep explain to me how this works. Stop drinking the Kool-aid and do some actuall reading and research for yourself.

February 27, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  25. jim

Its amazing.....people are losing their jobs left and right and starving ALL OVER AMERICA and she has the gaul to be publicly concerned about having to BORROW a dining room table? POOR BUSHY WUSHY!!

February 27, 2009 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |