February 27th, 2009
6 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. cheryl brooks from cali

How could not want to watch the new President in his first address??? You just got out of office, for the last eight years you and your husband have been in charge it strikes me strange that there is no interest in our country's affairs and I believe you're not telling the truth, I believe that you watched the "Address" you're not fooling me....

February 27, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  2. James Omar

Limbaugh / Coulter 2012. Let's get this country back on track with superior view points! They can win! for all of us.

February 27, 2009 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. Zane

I don't give a plug-nickel.

February 27, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  4. Richard L

Bill,
    I am 150% positive President Bush is far more intelligent than any of you.

150% positive? So much for "intelligent".

February 27, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  5. JEFF LEE

yeah i didn't watch his address either......cant wait for this country to go hell in a handbag, and we will have all the liberals and rightwing nut jobs to blame oh and their fearless leader barack......cant wait for all the blasting to come into play, cant wait for all the mockerys........going to be an exciting 4years or maybe less........cant wait to send them packing back to chicago!!!!

February 27, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. jdquest

I don't know if I am reading something that is not there but I think you should remove the post by Jeez - posted at 5:55.

February 27, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. baker

To bill,

My "left-wing media" consists of a computer stream, a satellite radio and a hand full of subcriptions. The so called "Liberal Media" isn't liberal at all. If you don't believe me, try listening to Air America for a week. Try reading and issue of "The Nation" from cover to cover. Please try to do this, and then compare it to the evening news on ABC, NBC, or CBS. Please, make an honest comparison. Just because there is finally a progressive on tv (thank you MSNBC for the wonderful Rachel Maddow), does not mean all the media is slanted to the left. Oh, if only it were. I can get Rush Limbaugh on at least 20 different radio stations here (in central Ohio), probably more, oh and for the record, I do listen to him once in a while. I wouldn't feel right speaking out on an issue if I didn't try my best to understand both sides. Give it a try sometime. Please.

February 27, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  8. chuck

Texas proud@ please put some lipstick on your piggy and take a double of whatever you are drinking and go to bed and hope you get laid on saturday.

February 27, 2009 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  9. JonDie

Laura Bush is an airhead who...seriously...who makes me appreciate the intellect of Paris Hilton more and more.

February 27, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  10. Rob

George W. Bush is a Criminal.

He is responsible for the death of 4000 US Troops.

Intelligence report about Iraq’s WMDs was a fraud and misrepresentation.

Bush was greedy for Iraq oil.

February 27, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  11. Cheney

@Bill.I dont vote the party.Both are sometimes sickening,and im not a liberal.So now whats your excuse.You sound like a moron thats been listening to Limbaugh too long and vote in lockstep.If Obama screws up I will be the first to tell you.Bush and his gang ran the greed bus full of dummies like you off the road and now someone else has to pull it out.

February 27, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  12. Lynnette

I love the part where she says "life is great". I'll bet it is, at our expense...literally.

February 27, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  13. jeff

I dont think any of us really know what President Bush had to deal with on a day to day basis. And I think in his heart he did what he felt was right. We may all disagree with him and u have your right to do so, but this is where I am proud to be an American and even though I may not agree with him on his decisions he was still my President and I do wish him and his wife the best.

God Bless The United States of America

February 27, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  14. Bob

Why plan a dinner party if you don't have furniture? They continue to make bad decision. By the way, can you ask your husband to give us back those billions of dollars that he took from the American people over the past 8 years. President Obama realize that the wealthy has taken advantage of us like "Forever". Now poor little wealthy people don't want to pay taxes. Welcome to our world!!

February 27, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  15. CindyLouWho

Lovely, not a care in the world.....moron.

February 27, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  16. Emily

Oh bill, if Bush were 150% more intelligent than all of us it would mean we were all a bunch of hamsters. Which we are not. Now, Bush is definitely RICHER than all of us, and also he is responsible for killing a lot more people, and he owes the American People a lot more money than we all do, so he really is beating us there, but in terms of intelligence, I am pretty sure the only person he beats is Sarah Palin.

February 27, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  17. Dittohead

man are the liberals on this site nasty.

February 27, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  18. BC

I thought this was worth repeating so that if you missed it the firs time you can enjoy the laughs:

bill February 27th, 2009 7:36 pm ET

you liberals are such a joke. all of you who can do nothing but hate only show your true colors…. a bunch of intolerant fools who attack others who dont have the same beliefs as you all. make no mistake about it, I am 150% positive President Bush is far more intelligent than any of you. Its so laughable that Obama can stutter like a babbling idiot and also make mistakes when talking yet you all and your left wing media pay no attention to it but if someone you disapprove of does it you label them as dumb or an idiot. If you are looking for an idiot or a stupid person try looking in the mirror. (btw, I am not saying Obama is dumb… he simply makes mistakes like any of us) . You people who behave this way also show just how immature and unintelligent you are.

Funny? He's hysterical! He's 150% positive. Only fools are positive (Remember Bush was ALWAYS positive.) He refers to Obama as a babbling idiot. That man is intelligent. Bush is and always was an idiot.) And no, I am NOT a liberal Democrat. I am an Independent who voted for Bush in 2000 but am willing to admit my mistake.

February 27, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  19. Fan of Common Sense

You're supposed to steal the furniture from the White House when you leave. Didn't the Bushes learn anything from the Clintons.

February 27, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  20. mrsb

A national figure – just left the White House as First Lady – "forgot" to watch the State Of the Union address??? I think that says it all. She really never cared at all about the "state of the union, nor did he"!

February 27, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  21. jdquest

Please remove the post by Nobama –posted at 5:13 and the response. If it is not offensive then it surely sounds like it to me..

February 27, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  22. Ben in Dallas

B

R U NUTS?

February 27, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  23. ED

Texas Proud! February 27th, 2009 6:37 pm ET
    TO: Chuck regarding your comment "LIPSTICK ON A PIG"
    Son, were you raised in a barn with the pigs where manners didn't matter?
    ----------
    Texas Proud, it's not difficult to figure out. People with no self respect have no respect for others! That is painfully obvious on these blogs!

February 27, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  24. chuck

Lililac@ you should have seen what Laura ,George, daughters, and family were doing at the white house then you would shut up. George Bush's daughters were buying drugs with the country's wealth and drinking the most expensive wines in the world and champagne. the Bushes ran the white house and the country into the ground .

February 27, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  25. RONNIE

I always liked Mrs.Bush but her chose in a husband calls into question her judgement.

February 27, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |