February 27th, 2009
4 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. Pat

Is it not a bit late to spew the hate? Hating the Bush's is similar to hating your ex-spouse after a divorce without any future personal or monetary entanglements. It certainly diverts your attention from what's really important for your present and future. Why are you afraid to go forward?

February 27, 2009 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  2. Sidro

I think everyone should leave Bush alone....... and just let him slither away!!!

February 27, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  3. CharlesinDallas

I live in Dallas and wish these people had gone back to Crawford. The good thing about that is ...it was the place where the "paranormal" events took place...that is to say where George said he "looked into Vladimir Putin's soul". He looked into the former KGB Station Chief in Hamburg soul (Hamburg is a big city in Germany for the Rebublicans trying to follow) and saw he was "good". This former President has the same IQ as the current Governor of SC which is about 85. I wish they would go somewhere else.

February 27, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  4. John

Wow I knew the libs were intolerant and childish and spiteful but this message board is funny. He walked away and is happy to be gone and probably much more relaxed now. And he still gets the final laugh on you morons. Go GW!!

February 27, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  5. Merle

God Bless You and your family Laura...Only the Best wishes from a Democrat turned Independent!

February 27, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  6. Bob in KC

I can lend them some folding chairs if that would help their furniture shortage.. but I would want them back at some point.

February 27, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. Brian

At least Bush wasn't a Socialist. I wasn't a fan of his administration and I disagreed more than I agreed, but I am missing him already and he has only been gone a little over a month. The Christian people in this nation will suffer more now than ever.

February 27, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  8. D

Mr President and Mrs. Bush, now you know how it feels to have very little or nothing at all. Your policies have destroyed so many lives... it's finally time for you to understand what it feels like.

February 27, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. MMD

Did you know that when laura is walking north or south
    her twisted body twist to the east or west.

February 27, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. abysshwy

Mrs. Bush
    We love and miss you! I see so many bitter, unhappy people, ready to crack, since you left. These people are full of hate, angry mob.
    I laugh because the joke is on them, you get what you deserve voting in a president like OBAMA, soon I expect riots in the cities, and they will tear up the USA. They do not know what a true american is..

February 27, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  11. Lisa

"Constance", you are the pot calling the kettle black. I'm sure George Bush can at least spell the word, "excellent". My fifth grader certainly can. FYI, there is no "a" in "excellent"!!! NOW who has no brain??? Next time, use a dictionary, honey.

February 27, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  12. CharlesinDallas

Brian

I'm surprised you could actually spell the word "socialist". That's a big word for a Republican.

February 27, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  13. Carl Justus

I am glad you and dubya are enjoying your dinner parties, for you ruin dinner for 5 million Americans. They are lucky to any kind of dinner, much less a party.
    I hope you enjoy the misery you caused this country in debt, in division, and death.

February 27, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  14. Jeffery

Ya- thats right – zillions from the Carlisle group with major holdings in Haliburton and bud's. ya right back to the same way it was. Why don't you just shut up?

February 27, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  15. Rita

elana what are you talking about, Mrs. Bush "took her place" and she contributed so much to our country by "her gracious ability to host so many events at the White House, especially the Xmas Tree displays"??? Jesus, are you living in the Millenium? Did you miss the Women's Rights Era?

February 27, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  16. Richard Oriolo

Ahh, conservatives! George & Laura are not only a national disgrace, but clueless. They aren't even smart enough to disappear into oblivion. After all the damage George has caused with his lies and drunken arrogance (yes conservatives, you twice elected an alcoholic as president), they can only comment on dinner parties & furniture.

February 27, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  17. Bart Schoen

yeah sure, life is great isn't it??? especially after you've messed up the country, so you and your putz of a husband go have your dinner parties, and make sure you enjoy your morning coffee, while the working families of America struggle just to have dinner

February 27, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  18. S Callahan

The pulse of the people...371 regulars on CNN.com

February 27, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. Anthony Smith

Did anyone notice her mentioning the Secret Service was next door? She isn't too bright just like her husband. I'm sure they are living it up with their dinner parties, meanwhile the country will take 5 years to repair his damage. It's bad enough that the Republicans ruined this country for 8 years now they want the new president and America to fail. Now, who is non patriotic George? Pseudo Christians!

South Jersey

February 27, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  20. john

I feel sorry for Laura Bush. She is stuck babysitting an idiot forever.

February 27, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  21. Denver Mom

Obama makes Bush look the best president ever and Laura Bush, well, no comparison!

February 27, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. chuck

brian@ please get a life. George and Laura Bush are KILLERS. They do not have christian principles. The Bushes should be erased from human memory.

February 27, 2009 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. J.G

You don't have a table or chairs???/ You surely have enough money to buy these things. Why would you move in to any house until it was complete? Oh, Boo Hoo!!!!

February 27, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  24. Ex-Republican for Obama - TX

I live in Dallas and I tell you that a lot of people have mixed feelings about the Bushes living here. You have to remember, Dallas county and many surrounding areas voted heavily for Obama.

February 27, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  25. Terri

LOL...Laura is the quintessential Stepford wife!!

But what's awesome is THEY ARE GONE!! I'm still pinching myself! It's awesome!

Best image of Inauguration Day was Bushie and fake-smiley Laura LEAVING the White House in that helicopter!

Sweet!!