February 27th, 2009

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. rich

I didnt know bush could read. Well..you live you learn. As for Laura "life is great", I dont care about the woman, never have never will. She can borrow all the secret service chairs for all I care.

February 27, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. TCM

@ Steve (the real one) –

More like the real idiot....get an education, stay off of Obama-laced websites. Too many low class fools like you ushered into office the most incompetent person to ever hold the office. Too bad we can't hold liberals accountable for when it all starts unfolding.

February 27, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  3. Charles

unbelievable! CNN just removed my post b/c it said something to the effect of, "at least Bush wasn't "something, something, something" with an intern in the Whitehouse/his WIFE'S OWN HOME."
    I bet if it were the other way around & the derrogetory remark was made about Bush, it would still be posted!

February 27, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  4. Jim

Thank you President Bush for your service. I, along with my family, are safe and, through hard work, we are in a better position financially than we were eight years ago.
    Under 1 month of Obama, not so much better off. In fact, no raise this year and lost 30% of retirement income. This country is in for a world of hurt the next four years.

February 27, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  5. KLK

Does she sleep with that smile on her face?

February 27, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  6. Sandy

@ Don't Drop the Soap Georgie
    Try saying something people don't mind reading instead of senseless drivel.

February 27, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  7. Joe Fattal

She still looks like the first lady she was for 8 years. That one that we have now, she probably would make a Mrs muscle universe, than a first lady.

February 27, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  8. Molly

Laura Bush is awesome! ...her husband on the other hand....

February 27, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  9. Jennifer in CA

I just wanted to throw in that Bush is the reason we have Obama today. If the country had been well run, we had not squandered so much money and lives in Iraq, and we had not been encouraged by our President in 2001 to be patriotic by spend money we didn't have, the people of the United States would have been as apathetic as ever and not voted the change into office. The democrats and Obama have control of Congress and the Presidency because the Republican controlled congress of prior years and Bush ran this country into the ground.

Laura Bush deserves her peace and quiet away from the lime-light. The former president G.W. Bush will have the rest of his life to wonder what his legacy will be.

February 27, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  10. Biased

If it's okay for a lot of democrats to trash the former first lady, then I presume they will have no problems listening to bashing of the current First Lady without the first word out of their mouths being "racism"?????

February 27, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. susan-fl

rena...thank you for that ! I could not have better said it better.
    But I have to to add, I can't help it but they just leave you a sour taste in your mouth.

February 27, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  12. andy71

First of John your an IDIOT!!!
    I've never had anything handed to me and I'm a educated, and i'm doing pretty well for myself right now, and I think Bush is an alright guy, but the man was a horrible leader.
    I believe Obama has America on the right track, it's just to bad you social conservatives can't see that.

February 27, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. GuyInVA

Hey ugh @ 4:14,

Yes, they do wish her life wasn't great. It's the liberal motto: "We're not happy until you're not happy either."

February 27, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  14. cheryl brooks from cali

Is she dumb or what?

February 27, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. Jeff

I see all these GOP apologists expressing dismay and surprise at the amount of anger directed towards the Bushes.

Then those same people unload a torrent of hate on Obama.

February 27, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  16. Annie, Atlanta

Rick Sutter, I guess it's all in how you look at it. I don't believe in guns, would never own one, won't let one in my house. However, I do not have the right to tell family, friends, or neighbors that they cannot own one. I also don't believe in abortion, but do not believe I have the right to tell another woman what she can or cannot do, ever.

February 27, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  17. Beverly, NYC

TCM February 27th, 2009 4:22 pm ET: You feel protected? Why because you have to remove your shoes at the airport, or because the government can listen to our conversation, or view our internet chatter. Yeah we are real safe, while our ports and borders are wide open. When exactly did Obama apologize to our enemies, could you go back to Herr Rush for the exact date. I don't recall this ever happening.

February 27, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Independent

I grew up behind the Wall and what got us through and helped us get rid of the regime was being united, left and right, religious and atheist, north and south, educated and labour. It is sad to see people so divided in such a difficult time. What will bring this great country down is not Bush or Obama but people's inability to raise above their ideology. Saying that Bush was a nazi or that Obama is a Marxist is plain ignorant. It wasn't left or right that chased the British out of here. It wasn't left or right who helped defeat Hitler's regime. It wasn't left or right who build one of the strongest countries in the world. It wasn't left or right who send a man on the moon. It was the American people who were able to see a greater goal, who worked together, and were not blinded by their political or religious views.

February 27, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. Rightsaid

This is what they should have been doing for the last 8 years. Holding dinner parties with their rich friends. Oh yeah, that's all they did do....while Darth Cheney worked his magic to expand the dark side.

February 27, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. Cruzan Obama Mama

Now she can use some of that free time to teach "W" the English language and how to formulate sentences.

Maybe she can teach him how to accept responsibility for his mistakes and the chaos he has created.

Good luck with that!!!!

February 27, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  21. Lorry

DOES BUSH SEE SHOES HURLED AT HIM IN HIS DREAMS…..

February 27, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  22. R Wolf

Life is great for us, too, now that George and his family are far
    away from Washington, the White House and any life altering decisions that affect the rest of us.

February 27, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  23. Larry

Wow, it's just amazing that people are so angry/fired up about their political affiliation that they seem to lack the ability to research and think for themselves. Bush wasn't that bad, and Obama is still unproven. If real democracy survives in the middle east (Afghanistan, Iraq) for the first time... ever, then Bush will be viewed by history as genious. Those today who can only see RIGHT NOW, are very short-sighted.

As far as Obama, I love his ideologies for the country. I hope my taxes don't go through the roof, I hope he does well. Because if he does, then chances are the United States will be doing well.

On the Bush retirement, good god people, be happy for them. Single toughest job in the world, many difficult decisions, and a stressful life for the both of them. Be happy for them now as people.

February 27, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. Andie

I thought they went back to their ranch in Crawford, TX?

February 27, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. Bill

Thank you Former President George W. Bush for destroying our country in the horrible 8 years you were in office. No thank you to the Supream Court for appointing President Goerge W. Bush in the 2000 election.

This worst Presidnet in the United States history.

February 27, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |