February 27th, 2009
4 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. Mike

My comapny sells antique reproduction furniture including a replica of the Resoluite Desk W once sat behind. Thomaston Furniture Designs.

February 27, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  2. Jim

Wow please do explain and in detail, not vague rants how liberals are to blame....thats the silliest thing ive ever read, and flag pins, wow, now all this negativity doesnt look so bad after all. Interesting though the Republican sites are just as bad with the hatred and the ranting. Honestly though people show some class, this story was bait.

February 27, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  3. mtv

Why borrow?????? He and his aministration Robbed this Country.........they should have the money

February 27, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. Susan

...you know some folks just need to be quiet! The more they speak, the dumber they continue to look!

February 27, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. Joe

Mrs. Bush,
    Since you and your idiot husband have a lot of free time, are you planning a vacation to Iraq any time soon ? I would think not.

February 27, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. tommy townsend

I think it was very tacky not to watch Obama's speech. You are still an american.

February 27, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  7. Doug

Did she say that they forgot to watch the first "State of the Nation" after they left the white house? Just like how 'W' forgot to watch the real state of the nation while being the president.

February 27, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. Salvatore Paradise

I suppose the economy is so rough, that even the President can't afford to sit down and eat a meal in his own house. Gosh George W.M.D. Bush did a really great jorb running this country into the ground. Strongbad would be proud. Great jorb Homestar! Good luck in the Lonestar!

February 27, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  9. Mari

UNLIKE THE FAR-RIGHT.......... who complains, belittles, criticizes about President Obama and First Lady Michelle, I only wish Mrs. Bush the best.

Because we can disagree about POLICY without personal assaults!

PEACE.

February 27, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. Jennifer in CA

To independant, I see what you are saying, and I wish we as a country could do that. However, the Right and Left in this country have so very different views on how history played out and how to fix things. The conservatives believe that FDR made the Great Depression worse with his New Deal, while the liberals believe the exact opposite. While both sides agree that what brought the country out of the Great Depression was WWII, they don't agree on why. The liberals believe that it was the increased spending for WWII that brought us out of the depression (ie – more government spending worked), but conservatives just don't believe that. Liberals believed Reagonimcs made the recessions of the 80's and current times. Conservatives believe Reagonimics are responsible for the boom of the 90's and possible the 2010's (if the economy turns around).

Both sides are diametrically opposed and believe that the other point of view will only make things worse. (Conservatives: Tax cuts = always good. Gov spending = always bad. Liberals: Tax cuts = didn't work for last 8 years. Gov spending = worked last time.) How can we reconcile those 2 opposing views? Also, it's kind of hard to work together when one side reaches out a hand, and the other refuses to shake it.

February 27, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Once you vote Black

Ding Bat

February 27, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. proud army navy mom

Laura shouldn't worry about furniture, she should buy george w. an ipod to listen to while he and his cohorts are jailed for war crimes.

February 27, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Steve (the real one)

TCM,

You have me confused with another Steve. But dude, calm down!

February 27, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  14. Russ

I'm so glad that George and Laura can finally have some quality time together. They certainly deserve it. God bless both of you. You remain in our thoughts and prayers.

February 27, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. Beverly, NYC

Things I would like forget about the Bush Presidency.

9/11 – watching people 100 floors up deciding it was a better idea to jump from Trade Center I & II as I was running from #7.

Mr. Bush standing on the smoldering pile and vowing to get Bin Laden

My brother being stop loss in 2007 to serve in Iraq after 20 years in the service. He has returned safely, nighmares persist. Thanks Mr. Bush.
    Thank you for the opportunity to research Kevlar jackets which I had to purchase for my brother because we went in with the Army we had, not the one we wanted (Rumsfeld.

Thanks for spending billions per month to rebuild Iraq, even though you probable earned us more hatred in that region. Liberators we were not.

Thanks for taking your eyes off the ball in the country that elected you. Some of it is the voters fault, I voted for Gore & Kerry. I recall during your first campaign you said being President was not something you ever wanted to do, we should have believed you.

February 27, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  16. Jasmine in Germany

What a a bunch of crap, what a pity. Gosh, shucks. If a woman could ever stand behind a man, this one certainly wasn't an example.

February 27, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. ran

I don't care. Bush should be in a max. security prison in CO.

February 27, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. E

How is this news? It is great that they get to sit back and have dinner parties while the rest of the country sinks inot poverty and desperation that he husband created. That is awesome.

February 27, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  19. Dixie, OH

Yeah, life must be great for them, after they've ruined everybody else's life. What nerve, I wish I could have a dinner party for 16 people.

Save it Laura, your husband was voted the 7th Worst President of All Time, and we will never let you forget it. Losers.

February 27, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  20. Nobama

Laura Bush is a great lady. Michelle is one of those things John McCain is famous for saying.

February 27, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  21. In response to Darren

I didn't even have to look at your name to know you are a man. Although man doesn't quite seem like the right word...

"Just zip it & bake cookies"

I don't know what century you think you're in, but women don't just "bake cookies" these days. Grow up!

February 27, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  22. Patty in the CA mountains

Please tell me I'm wrong on this....."the secret service next door".....are the taxpayers (me and you) paying for/buying a 2nd house in the exclusive Dallas, gated community for the secret service to live in??? When does it end....the ongoing cost of secret service protection ought to be paid for out of the money bush stole from the American people during the last 8 years.

February 27, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  23. Jasmine in Germany

Didn't you understand your role?

February 27, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  24. Nobama

I'll wager Laura Bush has always been proud of her country... unlike the she-boon.

February 27, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  25. get rid of campbell brown

i have nothing against laura bush. in fact, now that bush is out of office, i see no need to continue to criticize him. his regime is over and we are moving on. i don't think continuing to focus on his many, many mistakes is even worth our time. let's move on.

February 27, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |