February 27th, 2009
3 months ago

Laura Bush dishes on life post-presidency

Former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are back to their old routine in Dallas, Texas.

(CNN) –- Just over a month since they left 1600 Pennsylvania Ave for a quiet Dallas neighborhood, former first lady Laura Bush said she and her husband are “back to our old routine.”

In her first post-White House interview, the former first lady told ABC News that she and former President George W. Bush were enjoying coffee together every morning, holding dinner parties with friends, and dealing with the hunt for furniture. “Life is great,” she said.

"We have very little furniture. We don't have a kitchen table or a dining room table," said Bush. "Friends loaned me a kitchen table, and the other night I had 16 people for dinner, and I had to borrow chairs from the Secret Service next door.”

Laura Bush says her husband is meeting the neighbors, making trips to the hardware store, and catching up on some reading via a Kindle. His latest read is a novel given to him for Christmas by former Vice President Dick Cheney.

And while Laura Bush lived and breathed politics for the last eight years, the former first lady said she did not watch President Obama's first address to Congress because she simply forgot.

"I thought it was so ironic that for eight years I would be a nervous wreck before the State of the Union, and for days before, as George would be preparing his speech, worried about it and thinking about what was going to be in the speech," Bush said. “And this time it came and went and I didn't even think about it."

The first lady, an ardent champion of Afghan women's rights while in the White House, also said she was worried that people “will wash their hands of Afghanistan, and I think it'd be a terrible mistake."

Filed under: Laura Bush • Popular Posts • President Bush
  1. bob from canada

hey tell that idiot of a hubby were waiting for him in canada.......shoe in hand......

February 27, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  2. Robert

Nice that they can have parties and buy furniture considering they ruined it for so many.

February 27, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  3. ray ray

I didn't foget to watch... I CHOSE not to watch the chimp in chief. The orgy of media fawning over their messiah is rather nauseating.

February 27, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  4. Ryan

Jim February 27th, 2009 4:26 pm ET

Jim, you are an idiot. Are you really blaming Obama for your loss of retirement income and you lack of a raise? Do you really expect Obama to turn around the catastrophic mess created by Bush in only one month. Moreover, the rollercoaster is still on it's way down when Obama took over so it's hard to stop the momentum. Why don't you give him at least 3 months and then you can toss blame around. I'm sure you gave Bush his fair blame for the situation right?

February 27, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. lived9lives Southern Oregon

Laura – You didn't watch the Presidential Address because you forgot? Oh, I forgot ! The economic recession won't affect you! Afterall, why would silly me to think the wife of a former President of the United States should care about current politics?

February 27, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  6. Steve (the real one)

Beverly in NYC,

I imagine Gore would have cursed the rubble and accused it of causing global warming! Then turned around to find somebody to sell to carbon credit to! I for one am glad you lost!

February 27, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  7. Luke from Boston

You HATE FILLED anti-Bush liberal monsters CAN GO TO HELL.

And don't doubt it, there IS a hell, and I have no doubt that the vast majority of you will learn of it first hand at the conclusion of your natural lives.

Bon Voyage!

February 27, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  8. Helen

You know my take on the whole thing is until you have walked a mile in Bush or Obama's shoes you have no idea what you are talking about. As far as i am concerned i really don't think i would want any of you leading my country. You have to have a very opened mind to know how to run a country no matter what your political view is. Helen S. in Va.

February 27, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  9. Linda in MS

I think Laura Bush deserves the privacy and peaceful life she's able to enjoy now, after 8 years of living in a fishbowl. As glamorous as the life of First Lady may sound, I am sure it's not all fun and games.
    I am not a fan of her husband, but I think she was a good First Lady.

To "Independent"
    Your post was the most honest and rational appeal for unity I have ever seen on any of these posts. I hope every angry person here reads it. Keep spreading the word.
    '

February 27, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  10. Keith

The Bush family is a true american family. I wish I could meet them and let my children see what a great guy the president is. God bless you George and Laura.

February 27, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  11. Andrew Fairhall

Elana's been had. The nice litle blurb on the bushes makes it seem as if nothing was inappropriate in the way this admin was based on lies and fear. Even the $ for Iraq were not put in the budget – nice trickery and this is the least of the most destructive presidency in 75 years.

February 27, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. JEFF

THIS IS HYPOCRISY and CROCODILE TEARS…..

WHERE IS ALL THE OIL MONEY?

February 27, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. Wally

Blessings to you Mr. and Mrs. Bush!!

February 27, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  14. Independent

I know Jennifer. I was just trying to change the focus in here but it's impossible because of exactly what you are saying. The house is not only divided, it is getting foreclosed.

February 27, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. Jo

To those who say President Obama is for abortion. Your Ms Alaska gave her daughter a choice, why not let everyone else have the same right. And Laura you didn't forget to watch, you didn't want to hear a person acutally be able to talk in complete sentences. After the prattle you listen to each day, it would be hard to adjust.

February 27, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. hdrider69

Who cares about George and Laura's furniture. They can afford it. Or, Bush will probably free load off of someone and get it for nothing. Please, make the Bush's go away, far, far, FAR away.

February 27, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  17. Jasmine in Germany

What a bunch of crap! What's even sadder is that she is just as responsibe as her husband for the sad state of our country.

February 27, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  18. Sue

If you care a little about your country. How could you forget Tuesday night President's address to the US Congress????????????

February 27, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. jay

I didn't vote for your husband yet I love you and trust him.

I believe the main stream media smeared your husband too much. I never agree with him on the war issue, but I trusted him. I think he is a trustworthy man.

February 27, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. In response to Russ..

are you kidding me?

February 27, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  21. Libs are Goofy....

Wow. I just read every post on the article about Pelosi questioning your boy's decisions on Iraq. You libs on here are getting a little lazy. I couldn't find 1 post accusing her of being a racist for not supporting BO. You libs better shape up and not let that happen again!!!

February 27, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. Felonious Monk

Of course life is great for the Bush. They looted America, gave big business the shot in the arm they wanted. They allowed banks to write legislation that caused Americans great harm. They invaded a country for oil and now Big Oil is back in Iraq after 38 years of being run by the state. This was the actual goal of the war in Iraq, gaining control of the 2nd largest oil reserves on the planet.

They stabbed America in the back and she has the nerve to say 'Life is great."
    Bring on the war crimes tribunal. We must look forward while righting the wrongs of the previous administration. These people are the cowards, and anyone who does not wish these criminals prosecuted must be in bed with them, ie Sen. Leahy.

February 27, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. Thomas

Yet another "thanks for destroying the country" from me to you, GWB. Sounds like something that you and your equally clueless dinner guests would toast before dining.

February 27, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  24. H Holcomb

AND WHO CARES....... ABOUT THE BUSHES...... HAD ENOUGH OF THEM..... 8 YEARS TOO MUCH...MAYBE GEO BUSH WILL GO BACK
    TO SCHOOL......

February 27, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  25. TexAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

This IS news!! I didn't know that George W. COULD read, so I'm amazed to hear he's reading a book– especially on Kindle. Does he really know how it works?

Maybe he can get on the "internets" and read up on the story about the lawsuit filed by the great grandson of Indian Chief Geronimo. Supposedly GW's grandpappy Prescott Bush helped steal the remains & burial trappings of Geronimo from his grave in Oklahoma and secreted them away in the confines of the Skull & Bones club's secret storage spot on the Yale campus. I'm not making this up... it was in several papers & on the internet yesterday. The story came to light when someone at Yale discovered an old letter written by a Skull & Bones member back then. The letter was found in the library at Yale and detailed the event. Very interesting. So GW's heritage goes back to an alleged grave robber!

February 27, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |