February 27th, 2009

Obama calls Bush

ALT TEXT

Before laying out his administration's plans for the U.S. military in Iraq Friday, the President called former President George W. Bush. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

(CNN) – President Barack Obama called former President Bush on this morning to tell him about his plan to withdraw troops from Iraq, the White House said Friday.

Obama called the former president “as a courtesy” right before his speech at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, according to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

Obama also called Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki from Air Force One to brief him on his plan to withdraw most troops from that country by the end of August 2010. The preident also “sought and received” an agreement from the prime minister that he would receive Christopher Hill as the next U.S. ambassador to Iraq.

On Friday, Obama released his plan to end combat operation in Iraq by August 31, 2010.

1. Randalobian

Who Ever Blogged as REF: With Words like Cool Aid Drinking Obama Enthusiasts.. Is So Politically Incorrect. Your racial Klu Klux Klan Epithets do not go by unnoticed. It is people like you who cannot see the forest through the trees. We as Americans have a right to our opinion but as Free Americans we must regards everyones national origin as being American, based upon the precepts of our Constitution levied by our founding fathers, We are a pluralistic society. Your lack of finess shows your poor education as well as your scewed political bias. Perhaps with some of the programs being brought to light through this administration, your children may have an opportunity to broaden their understanding of Politics and the world around them. It's not about color, its about knowledge and furthering our political standard in the Arena of world politics, and bettering our individual standards at home as Americans.

February 27, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. Steve Lewis, Holly Springs, NC

As a courtesy? Is this Obama's way of 'flipping the bird' to Bush thus dis-respecting ALL of our efforts to create stability 'smack dab' in the Middle East? We're so close in creating a strong ally, let's not jump too quickly because the President campaigned using rhetoric to satisfy his base. Do what's right and let's preserve the liberty we've created to a people who've never experienced it before.

February 27, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Dancie

"Hey President Bush, I'm about to yank out the only thing keeping Iraq together. 3 years from now, when Iraq is a stronghold for terrorists and in the middle of a civil war, I'll call you back!"

February 27, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Maverick

1 – Mick grow up you sound like your in kindergarten
    2 – Ben, you get that from Republicans? I thought Bush asked Congress for support, and guess what, they gave it to him
    3 – Ray, what has changed so quickly? Obama PROMISED immeditae change to the economy and to troop withdrawl, I see neither happening for almost two years..
    4 – Dem in Az, I guess in the first three weeks, EVRYBODY takes opff from work to go to Camp David? Hard working? He's left most everything up to Congress and the Senate...

I am not particularly against Mr Obama, but oyu people are putting so hig on a pedestal he is going to fall hard. I am sure his intentions are right, but is not making too many smart moves. And all of you need to get of the Party shill list and start being Americans first.

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. JOE

BUSH IS A LEADER,,OBAMA IS NOT

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  6. Lush Limprick is the real RNC chairman.

President Obama, I hope you informed the shrub it truly was the "end of an error".

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  7. Felicia

Well Obama victim, maybe you'll understand now.

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  8. bushvictim

the republican party is the american version of the taliban.. be afraid

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  9. murray

Thank you Mr. President for doing the right thing. You definitely are the right man for the right time.

Continued success.

February 27, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  10. Brad/San Diego

Why would the President want to apologized to a republicans crook like W.

February 27, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  11. murray

Thank you Mr. President for doing the right thing. Continued success.

February 27, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  12. Axl in Iowa

Funny how CNN always seems to close the comments when the Patriots get to singin'

February 27, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  13. Tyrone

This was an incredible gesture. People shouldn't make a federal case about it, its just a common courtesy. I don't see why people's comments need to be so vindictive toward either man, no matter who's side you support. Its just a common decency that we have gotten away way too much in this country. So stop insulting either of them so we can move on and go about the business of repairing our democracy by working together.

February 27, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  14. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

BUSH SHOULD ROT IN HELL

February 27, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  15. Robert

Iam neither Republican or Democrat I am now an independent BUT I have to admit I am really impressed with President Obama. Finally someone with an once of brains. We only invaded Iraq because of Bush's appointed intelligence heads who either gave him what he wanted or they were out of a job. Then after invading a country WE STAY....and then WE paid for everything for years while they have BILLIONS in profits from their oil and we lose thousands of American troops. Mr. Obama you are finally a releive from STUPID politicans over the last many many many years.

February 27, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  16. Deb

I dont having problem with our new President calling anyone.

However, me and others like me are just a bit tired of the media.
    Let see how long has Mr President been in office? And how long was the last President in office? How long has housing, war and banks been a problem??

Come on what we need here is to take a deep breath.... and think before judge.

February 27, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  17. Typical White Person

So he called Bush to say "You were right. We will be out by 12/31/2011 just like you said."

February 27, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  18. keepin it real

Now Bush will have to hope the the Iraqui troops can keep his cash cow (Halliburton) safe. Look on the bright side lil bush, at least you got a heads up.

February 27, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. AndyL

Mr Bush, this is president Obama, I know I said a lot of bad things about you, but any chance you can help me out. I already in too deep with the economy and now I realy don't want to screw up any one elses country.

February 27, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. Maverick

And for clarification, I thought combat operations were over. Last I knew we were in a support role training the Defense Forces of the new DEMOCRATIC Iraqi Government. And, since Mr Obama was head of the Senate Committee on Afghanistan, why are we losing there? Oh, because he made fewer trips there than Mrs Bush did, because he was to busy campaigning to do his job. I wish Mr Obama gets things going but, he has not made too many great decisions as of yet.

February 27, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  21. MN Voter

President Obama is courteous as well as intelligent. Look at all the ways in which Obama has already brought change in a little over 30 days. He is awesome - I couldn't admire him more.

February 27, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  22. Tiff of lithia springs

MIke of Houston , you have lost your entire, ever lovin' mind. I can't begin to fathom your thought process.

Are you even from this country, this planet?

February 27, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  23. PJP

Obama Victim February 27th, 2009 12:52 pm ET

I hope he apologized to W……………now he know this stuff is not all that easy
    _____________________________________________________

You got that right!!!

February 27, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  24. Florida Joe

WOW Someone that acts Preidential in the office.......Hadn't seen that in 8 LONG years

February 27, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  25. Liberalism supports infanticide

I just wish Nobama would give the same opportunity to the defenseless 600,000-750,000 unborn babies slaughtered in the United States each year. Bravo for bringing home our troops, but quit murdering innocent children.

February 27, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |