February 27th, 2009

Obama to announce date for end of combat mission in Iraq

(CNN) - Two senior administration officials say President Barack Obama will declare in his speech Friday at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina: "Let me say this as plainly as I can: by August 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end."

Related: Obama to pull most troops from Iraq by August 2010

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. Dan

How can we stop Russians from supplying weapons to Taliban to fight our troops in Afghanistan?

Probably Russians want to revenge, US supplying weapons to Taliban in the 1980s to fight Russian troops.

February 27, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  2. Proud Yankee

NOT SOON ENOUGH. BRING THEM HOME NOW.

February 27, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. Todd

Great, how long will our remaned mission be there. Barrack promised the troops out. And no LIBs, it does not matter that the Republicans put them there at all!! He promised them ALL out and got elected in part on that promise. If he doesn't do it, it shows once again that he is either a liar, or not competent enough to do his job!

February 27, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

Nothing wrong with getting out of Iraq or the Mid East. For those of you too young or forgetful to remember, it was LBJ who listened to the DOD and the bad reports from the Gulf of Tonkin that got us deeper involved in Viet Nam. We can't be the world's police department anymore.

February 27, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  5. Kevin ST Pete, FL

Acceptable. Well done, President Obama. Another promise fulfilled.

NOW GET BIN LADEN!!!!!!!

February 27, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  6. east tx

1. Make sure to let the enemy know
    2. I saw this on a banner somewhere before

February 27, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  7. Gary

Recent Obama Administration announcements:

1. Most troops out in 21 months, depending on conditions on the ground.
    2. 50,000 troops to stay in Iraq for the long-term, maybe indefinitely.
    3. 17,000 troop surge into Afghanistan
    4. Terror detainees do not have constitutional rights
    5. Step up drone attacks in pakistan
    6. Strong positions against Iran and North Korea
    7. Review of Guantanimo shows it does meant the Geneva Convention standards.

I agree with all of these announcements, how does this make Obama different from McCain or Bush? Campaign rhetoric meets the practicalities of governing. Good luck Obama.

February 27, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  8. James in Utah

No surprise. This is one of the items his campaign was based upon. Is it a smart move? Perhaps. Do we need to keep a presence there. I say yes, albeit an advisory role.

February 27, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  9. Vegas

Please key in on the phrase "combat mission". The follow on role will be that of peacekeeper...just like Korea.

February 27, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  10. what a mess Bush left

I am sorry that Bush left such a mess for the next President

I am not an Obama supporter, but I wish Obama the best success, no one should have been shouldered with what that irresponsible team of Bush, Cheney, Rove, Gonzalous, Rice and the rest of the trash team left

what a nightmare they were

February 27, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. Jon in CA

2008 Campaign trail:
    "All we're doing is raiding villages and killing innocent civilians"

2008 Debates:
    "I will bring ALL our troops home within 16 months"

2009:
    "I will bring home the troops within 19 months"

2009 (PS):
    "Well...we're going to leave 50,000 in Iraq and send 50,000 more to Afghanistan"

Obama = Lying Loser!

February 27, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  12. Q

You can't put a date on something like this...the situation will most likely change and we will still be there...

Mark my words, this is going to be a tremendous mistake on his administration...

February 27, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  13. cheryl brooks from cali

I've been thinking that this war was a cover up for something else??????????

February 27, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  14. Ed

Leaving 50,000 US troops in Iraq is hardly keeping his promise to pull all US troops out. This is barely less than half that is there now! Does not sound like and end to the combat mission to me.

February 27, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  15. Ray Fisher

Perhaps our troops would be of better use on our Mexican border stopping the drug smugglers from killing at will.

February 27, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  16. Ian

Translation: The "end" of the Iraq war will see only a 65% reduction in troop levels. Regardless of whether or not we say our combat operations are ending, the remaining 50,000 troops will be left in combat conditions without the manpower necessary to deal with it.

In the meantime, Obama intends to shift to a new offensive in Afghanistan before Iraq is secure.

I don't care if there was WMD or there wasn't. I don't care if there were terrorists before the war or there wasn't. They are there now, so why don't we fight them there?

Finish the job Mr. President. It's within our grasp. I can't bear the thought of looking at another wall listing the names of my brothers who died for nothing because politicians, not soldiers, refused to commit to victory.

February 27, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  17. Ed from Wisconsin

Thank God, finally the ridiculous costly war can finally come to an end!

February 27, 2009 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. Please remind me why we were ever in this war to begin with?

Does this mean that we will have finally conquered the axis of evil?

February 27, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  19. The Truth Hurts

Jon in CA , February 27th, 2009 11:33 am ET SAID:

2008 Campaign trail:
    "All we're doing is raiding villages and killing innocent civilians"

2008 Debates:
    "I will bring ALL our troops home within 16 months"

2009:
    "I will bring home the troops within 19 months"

2009 (PS):
    "Well…we're going to leave 50,000 in Iraq and send 50,000 more to Afghanistan"
    ==================================================================

Thanks for reposting past history. Many folks forgot what he said about raiding villages and killing innocent civilians. I guess it doesn't apply to when he gets in office huh? Now where have I heard this before? Hmmm...........

February 27, 2009 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. Di

Lets pull ALL of our troops from both wars. Then they can murder each other instead of Americans!!!! DEM's would blame Bush!

February 27, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. Scott the Independent

It seems like almost every announcement is a ceremony. I'm not complaining but just acknowledging the pomp. ITS GREAT.

February 27, 2009 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  22. tjp, valley forge, PA

Great. Announce the end of the war and it's over. Just like that. What a naive imbecile. Our enemies around the world are loving this. Oh, that's right, the only reason we have enemies is because of Bush. Everything is his fault.

February 27, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. Jason

Annouce "mission over" and leave 50,000 in peacekeepers on the ground. History repeats.

February 27, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  24. Scott the Independent

JON n CA – you forgot something – I will bring our troops home "according to conditions on the ground". You also forgot what a true Lying looser looks like – he has graying hair, a goofy look and dances like a leprechaun and goes by the name Bush.

February 27, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. Tracey

Obama said we will remove them from Iraq, but he didnt mention he would be sending them to Afganistan and the horn of Africa!

February 27, 2009 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |