February 28th, 2009

Officials: Sebelius to be Obama's pick for HHS

President Obama will announce Kanasas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius as his pick for HHS, sources say.

WASHINGTON (CNN) –President Barack Obama on Saturday asked Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to be his nominee for Health and Human Services secretary, according to two White House officials.

The officials told CNN that Obama is expected to make the announcement Monday afternoon. The officials asked not to be named because the announcement has not yet been made.

Filed under: Kathleen Sebelius • President Obama
  1. james johnson

I also wont to make a comment about MR RICH LIMBAUGH and that is I dont know what hole he jumped out of I dont like some of the things he said abut PRESIDENT OBAMA him and a lot like him have so much to say about what OBAMA IS DOING HOW MUCH MONEY he wonts to spend and how tax cuts did it for other PRESIDENT MR LIMBAUGH WE DID'NT PICK YOU WE PICK OBAMA IF YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN RUN FOR PRESIDENT

February 28, 2009 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  2. bsmith171

she's friendly with hr political supporter who is going on trial.
    dr. tiller 'the baby killer'.

she's another phony abortionist.

February 28, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  3. Independent

Right Pick!!!

February 28, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  4. Juan from L.A.

Excuse me President Obama but what the heck are her credentials? The ideal candidate should had been Howard Dean....

February 28, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. fearful for my country

I guess Obama had to "make a deal" with Hillary's women and now he is repaying them for their treason.

February 28, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. Coops In Toronto

This is a great choice as she was one female supporters from get go...Great choice President Obama

February 28, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. FreeNLovIt

Why does Obie always pick like these WEAK people to oversee HHS? Daschle was not my preference, neither is Sebelius. What happened to Dean? Love that guy. He used to be a doctor and he seemed of someone with intelligence who is willing to split the mess apart and clean it up.

February 28, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  8. Shannon

Good choice.

February 28, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  9. flybyshoeing

Let the smear fest begin 3..2..1. Fox especially will tear her apart because of Dr. Tiller. It won't be pretty.

February 28, 2009 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  10. Jack Graham

The real loser in this deal is the state of Kansas. I would rater see her replace Sam Brownback as a Senator than the HHS post.

February 28, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  11. Truth

I am not familiar with Gov. Sebelius. What are her qualifications? Is she strongly enough comitted to universal healthcare (not so-called "affordable" healthcare – there is no such thing when you are on a fixed income, have a pre-existing condition, like cancer, and are under 65)?

Nearly 50 million of us are counting on her.... Actually, the whole country is counting on her – whether some people know it or not.

February 28, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  12. RedWhiteBlue

Does she pay her Taxes ?

February 28, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  13. Suzanne

I think she'll be great. She worked hard during hte campaign and I'm glad she is going to be in the cabinet. Good choice.

February 28, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  14. Cathy

Good choice.

February 28, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. The Lady

Great choice.

February 28, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  16. Biased

Why not – she is about the only other one who went way out of her way to trash others to get him elected that he hasn't rewarded yet.

February 28, 2009 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  17. Honorable Kansas Vet

HURRAY

February 28, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  18. Sam who?

I dont know that much about her yet to make a sound judgement.I dont care what side shes on ,or what color.Can she do the job?

February 28, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  19. That Other Jerry

This poor woman's name has come up for every position from Vice President to White House groundskeeper. How many first choices had to come down with a case of the 1040 flu before they finally got around to actually offering her a job? It would serve the Administration right if she strung them along for a few days, then pulled a Judd Gregg on them. She should think really long and hard before giving up a governorship to be the backup substitute replacement's understudy.

February 28, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  20. Sam

I like Governor Sebelius, but can someone tell me why her...I didn't know that she had any knowledge on Health Care.

February 28, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  21. Silence is Golden

President Obama -

I know it's not a huge thing but fire these "officials" if they are leaking prematurely.

February 28, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  22. jcd

Well, at least she has more leadership and executive experience than PrezBO. Just hope she's paid her taxes.

February 28, 2009 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  23. No Hillary = No Obama

This is a much better choice than Tom Daschle who was a club member. It's also a better choice because women are more committed to the health and welfare of the human race.

February 28, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  24. R Cross

listening to the repuppet-cans and their tired old "evils of government run health care" is getting to be such a joke! I have health insurance thru my employer, and THE INSURANCE CO DOES decide what health care I get in the form of they wont pay for alot of things. If I can afford health procedures and care I am certainly allowed to get them, but the insurance company will find many many ways to NOT PAY for them. I had to argue with Blue Cross over a flu shot a couple of years ago! Lets get real here.

February 28, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  25. John in KY

I think she's capable and can do a great job!

February 28, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |