February 28th, 2009

Officials: Sebelius to be Obama's pick for HHS

President Obama will announce Kanasas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius as his pick for HHS, sources say.

WASHINGTON (CNN) –President Barack Obama on Saturday asked Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to be his nominee for Health and Human Services secretary, according to two White House officials.

The officials told CNN that Obama is expected to make the announcement Monday afternoon. The officials asked not to be named because the announcement has not yet been made.

Filed under: Kathleen Sebelius • President Obama
  1. Brian

President Obama,
    You could not have made a better choice with Kathleen Sebelius for HHS. Every day you make me proud that as an independant voter I voted for you. Thank you, President Obama.

February 28, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  2. JT

Please check her tax records before she get swarn in.

February 28, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  3. Wisest one of All

Has her tax paying history been checked yet? HAHAHAHA!!

February 28, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  4. chelo

it cant get better than this. this woman is cabinet material. she has done an excellent job with her state, specially balancing the budget...go sebellius

February 28, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. Santa Maria

Thank God...please don't even think about it and pull her into the administration. We need to get rid of this loser from Kansas. She is a dipstick.

February 28, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. Stay Active

I would love to have lower health care for my family. I work and pay for my children's insurance..mine is free. My oldest turned 21 this year and is no longer in school. I was not allowed to keep him on my policy. I thought my premiums would go down, but they went up $100.00 a month for my remaining two. $567.00 a month for only two children. My son that is 21 now has no insurance. His job does not offer it. Something has got to change. I know my employer can't handle what he pays for us. It would be a great help to all if we could just figure this thing out already.

February 28, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  7. Keith

Why do you pre-announce an announcement and steal the moment from the president? We'll get the news. We don't NEED it now. Our lives do not benefit from this childishness, and I think even less of CNN. You don't get brownie points for being first. That isn't what makes you a better news organization than any other team. I would much prefer a news team that offers a thoughtful presentation of events that have just occurred.

This is why my journalism professors have lost faith in your industry.
    There is no integrity anymore.

February 28, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. Tom

Just the right pick

February 28, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  9. HB In LA

I love Kathleen and she will be a great HHS for President Obama.

February 28, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  10. Mike, FL

A fine choice!

February 28, 2009 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  11. Jessica-Independent

Congratulations Gov. Sebelius. Wish you all the best in your new appointment.

February 28, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  12. Jerry

Good. More women = more progress in the right direction

February 28, 2009 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. Alfred E Neumann

Have they finally found a Democratic nominee without a tax problem?

My dog Scooter could do a better job.

February 28, 2009 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  14. JJ

You go gal!

February 28, 2009 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  15. Tim

I think this country will be very good in 8years.

Obama 2012!

February 28, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  16. Perusing-Through

The question is why she was not selected in the first round of Presidential cabinet picks? Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius is a true executive, with huge 'can-do' accomplishments under her belt. Get her in now and get this national health & drug coverage overhauled.

February 28, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  17. Franky

Hey guys, guess what?? Do you remember a long time ago that talked about the John's Magic Wall?? You know, how I've been trying to look for one?? Well, guess what??? I may just find it!!! LOL!!!

Don't get me wrong, it ain't big, it ain't small, but is good enough for me, LOL!!! And boy, am I paying some dough on it...some real dough.

I actually found someone yesterday when I was partying since who knows, I just came back right now! LOL!! And trust me, I'm gonna relax, this time for real, I already told everybody don't come to my house, just for today...

Boy, what a wild yesterday and today, get the kids out, LOL!!

February 28, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  18. Rave

Obama will succeed. Not only will he succeed, he will make sure America succeeds.
    All the rednecks can eat their shorts.

February 28, 2009 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  19. Future U.S. Senator

I wish he didn't pick her. I think she is fully capable and all but she would have been the best shot for a democratic pick up in Kansas getting closer to the number 60 and she would have been a really great moderate Senator.

February 28, 2009 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  20. Bill

A good pick by Obama. She will do great things with the HHS post (though I believe Howard Dean would have been better). I feel sorry for the people of Kansas who will now lose the most powerful voice of sanity in their state's government.

February 28, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  21. TheTruthHurts

Let's just hope she's paid her taxes.

February 28, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  22. t

Grea t she is our Govenor from Kansas maybe one day that will turn blue.

February 28, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. TW

Okay, Franky, you can relax, now. Yes, we have a Democrat in office, so feel free to collect the monthly mental disability stipend the Republicans denied you for the last eight years. It was well earned, Franky!

February 28, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  24. DazedAndConfused

Huh...petraeus and Sebelius. Anyone else know how odd these roman sounding names are?

February 28, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  25. Steve (the real one)

Sam who? February 28th, 2009 7:33 pm ET
    I dont know that much about her yet to make a sound judgement.I dont care what side shes on ,or what color.Can she do the job?
    ------
    I would like to add one more question...Did she pay her TAXES???
    No more tax cheats or any cheats for that matter, please!!

February 28, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |