March 1st, 2009

Coulter jabs Obama at CPAC

Democrats, President Obama and the media were the targets of Ann Coulter’s jokes.

(CNN) - Conservative political commentator Ann Coulter’s 15-minute address at CPAC played more like a stand-up comedy act than a political speech.

Coulter delivered line after line of jabs at President Obama, the Democratic Party and the media – each met with roaring laughter from the crowd.

The commentator – who is no stranger to controversy – first went after MSNBC, calling the hosts the “alternative prom crowd.”

Pointing to recent comparisons of Obama to Jesus and Abraham Lincoln, Coulter said the media has turned from being the people’s watchdog to the “government guard dog.”

“Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t see Lincoln text messaging with Scarlet Johansson … and I forget, how many times did Lincoln vote present?” she said, to much applause.

Coulter likened members of the media and Democrats to parents “gushing” over a newborn baby.

“Having pulled off their rather mediocre 53 percent to 46 percent victory, liberals can’t stop boasting about their new baby boy,” she said.

She said it was interesting that Obama’s “adorers” in the media compare him to Lincoln and Ronald Reagan, because, “apparently they can’t think of a Democratic president worthy of being compared to.”

“If [Obama] thinks people wanted change in 2009, wait until 2012,” she said.

Coulter has a long history of making controversial comments about politicians. Following her appearance at the 2007 CPAC, multiple companies asked to pull their ads from her Web site after she used what some observers called an anti-gay slur to describe then-Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards.

She was also at odds with Sen. John McCain during the campaign season, saying "John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is - he is bad for the country."

Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (1,359 Responses)
  1. Dorothy

LOONEY TUNEY

February 28, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  2. John

She's back?

But I thought Frodo and Gandalf ended Sauron's evil forever!

February 28, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Ryan

I used to be a Republican until Bush ... I just really don't understand what we're doing ... I'm no Democrat now but this is crazy. When Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are becoming the voice of a party then we're in deep sh**

February 28, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. posnivy

WOW !!!!!!

February 28, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  5. rose

Why is she still in the news?? She is so lame, her and the rest of the Republican talking heads trying to make themselves look better by taking swipes at people trying to solve problems.

All of them need to go SIT DOWN and SHUT UP!!

February 28, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  6. chuck

SHAME ON CNN FOR CARRYING THE ENTIRE SPEECH OF THE IDIOT RUSH LIMBAUGH. RUSH LIMBAUGH SHOULD BE SEEN AND NOT HEARD. IT'S TIME TO GET SERIOUS CNN. YOU CAN DO BETTER WITH YOUR TIME.

February 28, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  7. German,Irish American

Lighten up libs, it was a 15 minute comedy routine. You had no problem with 8 years of late night shows, especially Letterman, beating up on Bush. Remember how many of you actually thought, and maybe still do, that Palin really said 'I can see Russia from my house"? You guys all thought that was hilarious comedy by Tina Fey. But let someone make fun of a Democrat and you immediately start calling them names, haters, liars, racists, all the while you yourselves are calling Michael Steele, the new RNC chairman, an Uncle Tom, the republicans token black, and stupid for being a conservative. For the party of peace and love and tolerence for all mankind, aka, Democrats, how come the liberals of your party are always the ones to provoke violence in the U.S. with your "peace" rallies that have turned into riots and destruction of public and personal property?

February 28, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  8. Bill in DC

Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are perfect examples of why the Republican party is doomed for the same fate as the Whig party of the 1800s.

Mark my word, the Repblican party will not exist in 50 years.

February 28, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  9. W

WOW! Game on.

February 28, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  10. Bill

The only people that are bad for the country are people like her and Rush Limbaugh. They are nothing but hacks who couldn't come up with any good ideas to make the country better if their lives depended on it. If the Republicans choose to listen to people like them, they will be in the minority in Congress for at least a generation- which is fine by me!

February 28, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  11. Kirk Dennis

I am neither a Republican nor a Democrat. Mostly I do not like politicians very much, they claim to be the solution when in fact they are the problem. However I do think it is interesting that so many people who loved to bash our last pres, GW, think that no one has the right to do the same to the current pres, Pres BO.

February 28, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  12. GOP-fellas

The GOP has become the Limbaugh-Coulter Party, and will continue to drive decent, non-vitriolic conservatives from the GOP ranks.

Here's to the suicide of the GOP! (clink).

February 28, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  13. Scott

Media is a big part of the problem. Extremists like Rush and Colter will always exist in society, but it is our media's thirst for conflict ( which equals ratings) that puts the worst of us center stage.

I have experienced the views of any of my neighbors as being much more respectful, reasonable and down-to-earth. I have seen expressed the views of experts I have known, that are informative, inclusive and accepting of new facts.

I would like to see CNN and the other news organizations put information first, rather than ratings. We all truly need good information to make the important choices ahead, not just quoting extremists.

February 28, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  14. big daddy

These are the same people that thought Bush was right about Iraq.

Give me a break !! People that do drugs like Rush,go to jail..Please
    tell me why he didn't get jail time ? Ann is just out padding her checking account..A member of the GOP no more............

February 28, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  15. Fang

So you all fear Ann Coulter,

February 28, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  16. John

Limbaugh + Coutler are equal to angry losers. Why is CPAC crowd not joining them to become husband and wife........ I am sure they would be perfect match. By the way I enjoyed their ramblings and I strongly recommend to those so call Republican to adhere to Rush and Ann so that Republican can continue to loose again and again. I love ya all

February 28, 2009 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  17. Libs are Goofy....

@ Rand Dewu February 28th, 2009 8:56 pm ET ...

"Conservatives, please continue to idolize Coulter and Limbaugh. This makes more people turn liberal. ..."

Oh really? I thought people turned liberal after they've refused to exercise their abilities to make it on their own and want the government to give them everything.

February 28, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  18. Superferret

Wow! The majority of posters are so filled with anger and hate that they need professional help. They are witnessing a ground swell of conservative opposition to the odious state of affairs in Washington.
    It is sad and funny at the same time. Their prideful and ignorant attacks on CPAC and the speakers displays their true character.
    No wonder it's impossible to be bipartisian.

February 28, 2009 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  19. raagos

did this woman voted on wrong plc last year election just cheat. so I wonder did gop support people who cheat votes.....ohhh I remembered 2000

GOPP IS PARTY FOR YESTERDAY ..

March 1, 2009 04:23 am at 4:23 am |
  20. Bobby

LOL!!!

March 1, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  21. Mike

Ann is correct. The democrats are ruining America. Thanks for voting Obama.

March 1, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  22. Carlo

I can't believe she is still around. These people have no shame.

March 1, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  23. Ted Cahill

To Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh,

Shut up! You're not relevant anymore. The politics and fear and personal attacks is over. You have participated in the near destruction of this country, time to retire.

March 1, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  24. Dd

Amazing that people actually listen to the likes of Limbaugh and Coulter. I've never seen two people more full of hate then those two. Is this what the Republican party is today??? Probably. It would explain why every face at the RNC was white and over 50.

March 1, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  25. Marc

Ironic how the media is too supportive of the left??? Yet it's the media whose leading the GOP??? in Rush Limbaugh and Ms Coulter.

March 1, 2009 09:27 am at 9:27 am |