March 1st, 2009

Coulter jabs Obama at CPAC

Democrats, President Obama and the media were the targets of Ann Coulter’s jokes.

(CNN) - Conservative political commentator Ann Coulter’s 15-minute address at CPAC played more like a stand-up comedy act than a political speech.

Coulter delivered line after line of jabs at President Obama, the Democratic Party and the media – each met with roaring laughter from the crowd.

The commentator – who is no stranger to controversy – first went after MSNBC, calling the hosts the “alternative prom crowd.”

Pointing to recent comparisons of Obama to Jesus and Abraham Lincoln, Coulter said the media has turned from being the people’s watchdog to the “government guard dog.”

“Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t see Lincoln text messaging with Scarlet Johansson … and I forget, how many times did Lincoln vote present?” she said, to much applause.

Coulter likened members of the media and Democrats to parents “gushing” over a newborn baby.

“Having pulled off their rather mediocre 53 percent to 46 percent victory, liberals can’t stop boasting about their new baby boy,” she said.

She said it was interesting that Obama’s “adorers” in the media compare him to Lincoln and Ronald Reagan, because, “apparently they can’t think of a Democratic president worthy of being compared to.”

“If [Obama] thinks people wanted change in 2009, wait until 2012,” she said.

Coulter has a long history of making controversial comments about politicians. Following her appearance at the 2007 CPAC, multiple companies asked to pull their ads from her Web site after she used what some observers called an anti-gay slur to describe then-Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards.

She was also at odds with Sen. John McCain during the campaign season, saying "John McCain is not only bad for Republicanism, which he definitely is - he is bad for the country."

Filed under: Uncategorized
soundoff (1,359 Responses)
  1. Don

I consider myself more in the middle when it comes to politics and will admit that I thought Hillary Clinton was far more to the center and would have made a better President than Obama or McCain. That said, after watching CPAC yesterday, I am more in Obama court than ever. No new idea's, just the same old hate and mockery. Coulter and Rush are dangerous...actually rather narrow minded in fact. I may vote for a Republican one day...but not one that teaches hate.

March 1, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  2. Anna, ATL

Coulter is a nutjob.

March 1, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  3. ahk, beverly hills, ca

There is nothing comedic about Ms. Coulter.

March 1, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  4. Anne's Mistress

Anne, call me, miss you...;)

March 1, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. mike06

Coulter is right on the money! I'm proud of her for speaking the truth and putting the media and the liberals on their heels. I look forward to hearing more from her. Oh yeah.. her new book 'Guilty' is a great read.

March 1, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  6. Joe

I truly believe Ann Coulter is a shining example of what is wrong with "journalism" in this country. To be fair, their are those on the left who also are not great examples, but she is BY FAR this worst.

I truly believe that she should have saved the title Godless for her own autobiography.

March 1, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  7. slewis

Rush Limbaugh should marry Ann Coulter. Thay could have a number of tasmanian devils, show empathy for the octomom & leave the rest of us the hell alone. They both make me sick.

March 1, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  8. Doubting Thomas

The best remedy for a party on its death-bed after losng horribly- why...the winning party. Winning parties self-destruct. That's how our system works. This one seesm to be on that path more quickly than any other.

Selling hope is wonderful. But if you cannot deliver...can anyone say Jimmy Carter?

March 1, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  9. Aaron

You know what the overall problem is with the Republican Party? People like Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh ruin the REAL Republicans' perspectives and views. I myself am a liberal, gay, young voter from the Northeast; this does not mean, however, that I dismiss the ideas of the Republican Party. Ann and Rush ultra-polarize their party when there are undoubtedly less fanatic Republicans out there with genuine interest in helping our nation alongside the Democrats. Is their voice heard, the Arlen Specters, Olympia Snowes, etc. who want to cooperate? No, not often enough...and when it does, people like Rush and Ann lambast them for being traitors.

Liberals say the Republican Party is on its deathbed, that the group is out of touch with 'real' Americans. I beg to differ...the problem is that the Republican Party's TRUE voice has been silenced by extremists who wish to rule by a message of hate, fear, and distrust rather than cooperation, understanding, and openmindedness. I may not agree with many traditional Republican views, but that does not mean that I don't believe in finding a middle ground! Ronald Reagan would be appalled. This isn't about who believes in what, it's about how we can reach a COMMON goal of bringing back our nation to its feet. That answer leaves no room for the bigotry and small-minded, vicious, and ignorant rhetoric of people like Rush and Ann. If I were a Republican, I would be completely appalled (and terrified!) that my party supported such dangerous and viciously hateful extremists, just as I would be equally appalled if this happened in the Democratic Party.

So says our founding doctrine – God blesses freedoms, like free speech...but tell me where it says God blesses hatred? I may not be a religious person, but I sure as heck know that true Christians don't look like a hypocritical, self-inflated radio host preaching fear and a hideously vicious, spiteful pundit supporting intolerance.

March 1, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  10. Scared

I'm 18 years old and I am scared stiff at the future that is to come. If any of you are taking Coulter seriously, you need to wake up. It's a joke, nothing bigger. Seeing McCain and Palin and other Republican's getting ripped on all election is ok. Seeing them get chastised and berated for no good reason is ok just because they are Republican.
    You are the type of people that have made the country the way it is. You have no idea what it takes to turn this country around and it seems that you are willing to do nothing about it. What is this that Republican's only care about the rich and gaining power? I'm conservative, but ask the people that I've worked on Reservations with. There is so much hate and anger on these boards, I hope that my generation will be able to dig ourselves out of the huge holes that you guys are going to put us in. After we are in a trillion more dollars of debt after the American people fail the government again, your generation will be gone and we will be left to pick up the pieces. I can't believe I'm saying this to some people, but Laugh, cheer up! Learn to love and respect one another rather than bashing each other using generalities towards one another. This is what Obama was talking about, we move forward as one country, not as Democrats and "stupid conservatives" We will go nowhere until we truly move forward together. This depresses the heck out of me as I have a glimpse into the world I'm about to go into.

March 1, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  11. Roy

It's obvious reading all these comments that this a fair and balanced site!

March 1, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  12. Fatima

Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are role models of the GOP and the reason why people like me stay away from GOP, and wonder how good, hard-working people can be swayed by them. She talks pure trash sometimes (Have yu heard her talk about 9/11 families of victims)?

March 1, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  13. SurRy

Thank you CNN! Please keep Limbaugh, Coulter, Jindal, and Palin on your front page as the face of the Republican party. We know how much they helped out in November. More Palin I say! Toss in some Glenn Beck too. Americans have short memories. Please keep these folks and their comments in the news every single day for the next 4 years! Thanks again CNN! Jindal/Palin 2012!!

March 1, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  14. chase

Superferret: do you recommend that Rush & Ann also seek professional help? Their careers have been based on being mean-spirited and partisan. Their prideful and ignorant attacks on Obama and all things "liberal" displays their true character.

March 1, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  15. C. Paulette McDowell, MT

We finally have a President that is intelligent, kind, strong yet flexible, willing to admit we have a problem and willing to search for solutions within our nation. We might even be able to command some respect from foreign nations again. I wish all of America would rally around these thoughts and support our new leader. He is not lazy and he asks other persons of government to work at their jobs....what a concept!!!!
    I don't consider him a "Jesus" but I certainly think with the help of our great God above he will help "save" America as a nation.
    Respectfully submitted,
    C. Paulette McDowell,MT(ASCP)

March 1, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. Independent America

She always has this preoccupation with sex and Obama. All of her comments. Trying to play on the black man going after a white woman all the time. These are the type of woman that were the liars that got Black men lynched by playing to racist whte men's fears. It is no surprise that she is trying to get him more hated by playing to interracial relationships which for White Southern men is a great fear. Obama is happily married. Imagine that she a conservative, those great protectors of marriage is trying to start adulterous rumors. What a horrible woman! White men don't even understand that they are being played.

March 1, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  17. Lynda/Minnesot

Looks as if Ann is a bit upset that the news media is calling out all the "distortions" of the Conservative movement (most recently, Jindal's speech referencing something that never happened). It's not as if Palin, Gingrich, Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reilly and the others haven't had a chance to rant and rave on Fox News for the past 20 years. When lie's and distortion's are aired, who's fault is it again?

March 1, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  18. Eric in CT

I feel sorry for those who think this was just a funny comic routine. The scariest thing about people like Coulter and Rush is they BELIEVE the venom they are spewing. Bust that Being said you know what the best way is to deal with them? Ignore and shut off your TVs, Radios, Etc. Do not give them the time of day. Because Ladies and Gentlemen: They are not worth the digits on your clock radio.

March 1, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  19. Gretchen

fr sizzlean:

>...the jealousy and ignorance of the Ann Coulter haters is truly astounding. What is it about liberals that make them detest intelligent, beautiful, successful women? Is it the lack of intelligent, beautiful successful women in the dem party? ...<

Your little bff annie is neither "beautiful" or "successful". She is a known liar and whiner who tries to rewrite history. Google her and her tirade about joe mccarthy and his witchhunt years. See what she had the gall to say about 9/11 widows.

March 1, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  20. Theda Zaretsky

Wow are they envious. We must be winning. Go Humanitarians.

March 1, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  21. mike06

It makes me laugh how angry the liberals in here take their hate out on Coulter and Limbaugh. Focus on your own party. It obvious that obama will drive the country into the ground in a matter of time. Get ready for Palin2012!

March 1, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  22. Jennifer DiIorio

I'm really happy with the way conservatives are handling this change of power in Washington. Picking a drug addict and a woman who looks and sounds likes she's one bad needle away from a heroin overdose is exactly what I was hoping for. The ravings of these lunatics might further strengthen the resolve of those on the far right, but true moderates are tired of being pushed into this all or nothing choice. I encourage the Republicans to keep pandering to their rabid, insane and hateful base. After all, that's why they lost control in the first place.

Also, please keep Ms. Coulter away from Mr. Limbaugh after he's made a trip to his medicine cabinet. He could easily confuse her for a smallish meal and by the time her death shrieks alerted him to his mistake I fear it would already be too late. I would be devastated if the Republicans lost either of these shining stars (at least until after 2012).

March 1, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  23. Michael

You liberal idiots make me laugh. You criticize Coulter and Limbaugh, but praise Maher and Olbermann. Get and life, get off the pipe, and get off welfare you leftists morons.

All liberals love Obama because they are waiting for they're handout. Well get in line with the rest of the liberal crack-smokers

March 1, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  24. Wayne

Nothing more to say. THE GOP IS DONE.

March 1, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  25. Reagan

Well, from all the libs' comments, it is clear that Ann Coulter really hit a nerve. Poor libs cannot handle it when anyone speaks the truth about them!!

March 1, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |