March 2nd, 2009

Limbaugh fires back at Steele

Limbaugh criticized RNC Chairman Michael Steele for his recent comments.
Limbaugh criticized RNC Chairman Michael Steele for his recent comments.

(CNN) – Talk radio host Rush Limbaugh fired back at Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele Monday, suggesting on his radio show the GOP leader appears to be supporting President Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

"Why do you claim to lead the Republican Party when you seem obsessed with seeing to it President Obama succeeds?" Limbaugh addressed Steele.

"I frankly am stunned that the chairman of the Republican National Committee endorses such an agenda. I have to conclude that he does because he attacks me for wanting it to fail," said Limbaugh.

Late last week, Steele told CNN's D.L. Hughley that Limbaugh is an "entertainer" whose comments are "ugly."

Also on his radio program Monday, Limbaugh said Steele is being used by the "liberal media."

"Michael Steele has been around long enough to know that the liberal media will use him by twisting what I say or what others say," he said. "He took the bait, he bit down hard on the bait, he launched an attack on me, even though the premise of what was said to him was false."

Filed under: Rush Limbaugh
  1. I can see Canada from my house!

If Limbaugh is distressed by what Mr.Steele is doing, then he needs to put up or shut up: run for office.

Steele does not have the luxury of being ideologically pure, since his main responsibility, as he has pointed out, is to win elections. This is not a ratings contest, won by whomever can say the most inflammatory remarks without having to answer for the consequences. Limbaugh has driven this party so far over to the Right it will take a major upheaval within the party to put it back on course. The fact that CPAC cheered loudest with Limbaugh and Coulter is an indication of how far off-track the conservative movement has taken the GOP. It reminds me of the Democrats following the election of W: the conservatives had better pray that Obama is even more scatterbrained than W if they are to have a snowball's chance in hell of regaining a meaningful role in this country anytime soon.

March 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  2. meron

It is a sign of the GOP falling apart. in my opinion no one should give attention to rush he is hater.

March 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. Justin from New Haven, CT

The funfest continues with the continued implosion of the RNC.

March 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. globalgroove

To Jake who commented on the Michael Steele story and complained the Dems can't take criticism...seems the Buddha can't take criticism either.

March 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Deborah

The Republican Fisherman

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am." The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're in a hot air balloon approximately 30 feet above a ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude."

She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be a Republican." "I am," replied the man. "How did you know?" "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to do with your information, and I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me."

The man smiled and responded, "You must be a Democrat." "I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?" "Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now it's somehow my fault."

March 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. Observer

Rush...can you say Bully! That's what you have become.

March 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. Jamie

Why does anyone care what this old, bitter, drug addict, thinks or says?
    His time, just like the G.O.P. has come and gone.

March 2, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. D in Phoenix

Why is this drug addict being taken seriously? Rush has 40 million (dollars) reasons every year for the next ten years to continue on in his buffoonery. If you were responsible journalists, you would disclose that fact.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. alvino

It ain't over till the fat boy sings. Looks like Limbaugh is also being used by the lberal media.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. Willy G

Rush is at least twice the man Michael is.

Steele better clean up his act or Limbaugh will toss him out on the street and put Ann Coulter in charge of the RNC.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  11. OMG!

Seems like his own agenda is a lot more important to this freak than the good of our country. There must be a special place in hell for people like Rush Limbaugh.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  12. liz

Rush gets louder and the KKK grows by 50%

cooincidence?

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  13. Anonymous

The stupidest man alive is Rush L. I find it ironic that CNN has now turned to his network. you guys run his stories every single day. we all know how stupid this guy can be and its disgusting that he is in your political ticker blog every day. I don't care about Limbaugh and your coverage of him is starting to turn me off from CNN, and i guess there are millions of us who don't care about him, his thoughts and backward thinking ideologies.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  14. G. Prado

Wishing failure to the efforts of a democratically elected president, specially under the present crisis, is equivalent to treason. Mr. Limbaugh should be indicted.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  15. Allie

That didn't take long.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  16. ashley

Oh Rush relax. Go eat a couple of buckets of fried chicken and pop a few Oxycontin and all will seem better in your life. for the moment.

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  17. Larry, Hazleton, pa

Even though I was mostly opposed to the things that the BUSH/CHENEY Adminstration did – I never wished them to fail – because in doing so I would ha ve to want ,my country to fail – does anybody on the Republican side understand the true meaning of this? If so then you should be railing againist the comments of the most vile person in the the republican party RUSH LIMBAUGH. So lets hear from those who want this country to succeed – not fail as the fat boy drug user wants us to....;

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. Elephant Red

Limbaugh. Idiot. Litmus test for idiots.

This is the party of idiots (Bush, Palen, etc.) Time to go Independent!

March 2, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  19. randy

Whether or not the Dems are misquoting him or not, Limbaugh is basically a blow hard that truley loves the limelight. He will continue to push his agenda whether he knows if he is right or wrong..But If the GOP wants to make him their mouth piece then that's up to them..As an Independent It keeps my voting decsions simpler.

March 2, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  20. Jane in Windsor, CA

I just love it when they eat their own.

March 2, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  21. bob s.

i am a recovering addict with 12 years of sobriety. i work a program. my thinking and attitudes have changed profoundly. Rush Limbaugh's rant for the conservative Republican party this past week put the final nail in the coffin of that party. how would anyone on the fence for what party they would choose, would ever choose republican. his speech was full of hate, venom, and indirect racism. Rush's appearance of weight gain and anxiety show that he is obviously abusing food and rage through fear. He is mentally and spiritually relapsing. This is a huge setback for America and its people.

convinced Bob S. Baltimore MD

March 2, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  22. elle

choleric idiot (Limbaugh )

March 2, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. charles

Limbaugh Is a racist pig. Go back to ur drugs idiot.

March 2, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  24. Truth Teller

This guy wants our country to fail, if that's not unamerican, nothing is. You conservatives need to throw this idiot under the bus. He will lead you astray. He is not good for the country.

March 2, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  25. Qwerty

Why are we still hearing from this idiot? Limbaugh should not even be on the news. What a waste! The country is in trouble, and this guy is playing games.

March 2, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |