March 2nd, 2009

Mayor gone after racist e-mail

CNN

A mayor has resigned for sending an offensive e-mail.

(CNN) – A California mayor is stepping down following an outcry over a racist e-mail, CNN's Kara Finnstrom reports.

Filed under: Politics
  1. ANOTHER RUSH LIM NUT

If anyone knows anything about the town of Los Alamitos Calif, there is definitely a section of all white affluent section of the city and this guy knew that WATERMELONS are used to portray blacks. Should he have stepped down, you americans who feel that FREE SPEECH is part of our freedom is this country however, when in an elected position your rights to FREEDOM OF SPEECH is somehwat limited as you are the voice of the people who you represent I don't feel that all of the people in the town where he is the mayor feel the same way he does. IE: How would the american people feel if President Obama looked over to the good ol boy group of the Republican party and said to them "LOOK WHITEY" blah blah. So yes he should have stepped down.

March 2, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  2. Moe, NY

Another Republican/Conservative hate monger bites the dust. These people are truly disgusting.

March 2, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  3. Drew in GA

The mayor not making the connection of Watermelons and African-Americans is an absolute lie. He's a politician. Politicians are both good and bad at lying which is evident. I think that these kinds of acts are deplorable and that people in these types of positions shouldn't be there. I will say however that I find it interesting that racism on all sides is not covered and eradicated. You never see anybody making a scene about offensive things said by hip-hop artists or Black leaders on television stereotyping whites and saying offensive things about white people. I have encountered many things in the media said about white people by african americans that I found extremely offensive, and its treated like it is ok. Its not right and makes white people that aren't racist start to look at things the wrong way because they are justifiably offended. Thats why it needs to be eradicated on all sides. Even worse than this was the New York post cartoon. I cannot believe that there is still this much ignorance in people that are in places so close to the media and public service.

March 2, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  4. Kirsten

Dearest "The Bu"...

I must say that I found your remarks quite insulting about living under a rock. I most certainly have never lived under a rock and I had no idea that referencing watermelon or fried chicken was racist(i'll give you the reference to monkeys). I would say that, more likely than not, if people did not know that those words could be racist it would be because they themselves are not racist and therefore are not "up to date" with racist references. And its ridicuolous that every little thing now is being termed racist.

March 2, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  5. B

I am white and love collard greens, fried chicken, and watermelon. I think it's more of a southern thing sorta like sweet tea. I remember so many photo's of President Bush that was awful. They cartooned him as a monkey, killer and everthing else you can think of. I saved a cartoon out of my paper this morning of Bobby Jindal and of course he looks black and I could cry racism but I get it, everyone that is in the spot light gets made fun of and joked about. I know the late night shows are scard to joke about obama and that's really let's me know there's a lot of thin skinned folks out there. Get over it.

March 2, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  6. Calvin

I wonder how this guy was missing in action at the CPAC. I'm sure as hell the audience there would have found his "joke" to be funny.

March 2, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  7. mack

He should be put in jail right away. We don't need free speech rights anymore...wake up, this is the 21st century.

March 2, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  8. George Welch

Better not joke about Italians and spaghetti, or Polish sausages, or British and warm beer, or Mexicans and Tacos, or Germans and sauerkraut etc, etc.. What kind of insanity is this country coming to? Ther e is no such thing as humor anymore without someone expressing self righteous insult.

March 2, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  9. thomas

How does it feel to be the subject of ridicule Mr. Bungles?

March 2, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  10. Tom in Delaware

Bu...I read your comment and I agree, somebody would have to be pretty stupid or ignorant to not know those things.

My question for you and anyone who would care to answer is this...

What about the rappers and hip-hoppers? Why is it OK for them to use racially derisive terms, but if somebody outside of the circle uses the same language then they're evil.

BTW- Where's the outrage over Chris Brown beatin' the piss out of Rhianna?

Do you think we'd be hearing from the good Reverand Al Sharpton if it was Kid Rock instead?

You bet'cha....that's what we Republicans call a double-standard.

March 2, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  11. Carmen

No matter what the Mayor's party affiliation is.........who cares? His
    depiction of the white house lawn was not sent during the former President's term..........? And then he lies about not being aware of the overtones of his e-mail......what a joke that is!

Maybe Rush Limbaugh will hire him as his sidekick.........good pair....different party lines, but similar in views and dumbness.

March 2, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  12. HoldenLitgo

to DawnS: "And he's a Democrat! Racism spans the political spectrum."

You wish. Dean Grose, the mayor of Los Alamitos, is a Republican. I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of racist Democrats, but Republicans are the only ones so far out of touch they don't know WHEN they are being racist. And when it's pointed out to them that they are, in fact, racist, they actually think it's acceptable because they weren't aware of it. In other words, they think it's OK to be ignorant. That's their problem.

March 2, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  13. TC

If anything comes from a white person...It is racist...It is ok for the Attorney General to catogeorize AMericans that way, I am sick and tired of Everything people say or do is a racist remark... BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! People get a life!!!

March 2, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  14. Once you vote Black

This is what Holder was talking about. He was not saying that White People are racist or cowards, he was saying that our conversations about race were too imature. Think about it, if this guy and the council women had mature conversations about race over the years they have known each other she would know where he stands on the issure. Then an e-mail like this might have been seen as the joke he meant for it to be. But because she does not know how he really feels she has to take this in the worst posible way. I have White buds who say all type of stuff in gest. But because I know them I know how they really feel about blacks. So when the tell me this is funny I can take it with a grain of salt. But if this was the only thing I know about them I would be hurt. America, lets talk about race.

March 2, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  15. Wally

I guess he wasn't a "coward".

March 2, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  16. Tina, NC

THE MAYOR IS A REPUBLICAN! Not a Democrat.

March 2, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  17. TC

If anything comes from a white person...It is racist... , I am sick and tired of Everything people say or do is a racist remark... BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! People get a life!!! Lighten up!!! this is exactly what keeps racism going!!!

March 2, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  18. Russ

Im white and my wife is black. I make these jokes all the time to her.... guess im a racist. They say acceptance is the first step.

March 2, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  19. Once you vote Black

Once you vote Black you get to see how racist your friends really are.

March 2, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. PJP

I'm white and I love watermelons. Come on make a joke about that and see if I get offended. Good grief, since Obama got in officea person can't say anything anymore without being called a rascist. We don't need to fight outher countries, we got enough fight in our own country.

March 2, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. Mary J.

Gald he was taken off the trail. He should look like a fool now, but when he sent the email he was laughing until he was crying. Cry cry cry now fool.

March 2, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  22. Bafun

@ Len

Racism has just one party : the party of idiots

March 2, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  23. Anonymous

what ever happen to jessie jackson's comment a obama? nothing, wonder why

March 2, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  24. Janet Carter

UGLY is grossly obese Limbaugh standing up there sweating like a pig, shaking from his overdose of Oxycontin, and babbling like a complete idiot. THAT's ugly.

March 2, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  25. 2Sides

I have overheard many jokes about white men from black men. Whitey this, cracker that...I am sure good old Rev Sharpton has plenty, but I must be an evil racist to even question God's annointed.

March 2, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |