March 2nd, 2009

Meghan McCain: My dad's campaign killed my love life

Sen. McCain's daughter, pictured on the left, is speaking out on the impact of her father's latest presidential campaign on her personal life.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain says that "nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics" - and that the presidential election "killed my personal life."

"OK, maybe killed is a bit of an exaggeration," she wrote in a blog post for The Daily Beast published Monday. "But it does seem to be on life support. Of all the things people warned would happen post-election, no one ever said anything about how complicated dating would become. Especially if your dad loses the election. There are things that have been difficult, but nothing quite as tough as dating. I fear the election has destroyed my ability and desire to date. Now, I cannot say at any point in my life that I have been very good at dating. But I have become something I used to despise: people who let politics dictate his or her attraction to someone."

She said one fan of her mother, Cindy McCain, recently told her she could be "his Cindy," and asked if she ever wore pearls like her mother did. "Any guy that has a fetish for older women in pantsuits and large pearls obviously only finds my last name attractive about me," she wrote.

McCain said she did not care who her friends supported during the campaign, and that she believed political views were personal - "but when it comes to dating, it's become an entirely different subject. And I promise, no one is more surprised by this revelation than I am. ... If I am adult enough to understand that voting is one of the most personal things a person can do, why am I letting it affect how attracted to someone I am? I know that no one can really explain sexual attraction and why you are drawn to someone or not — but at this point in time, nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics."

She said she was "turned off" both by supporters of President Obama - and her father's backers. "Recently, over dinner, a guy started explaining his reasons for supporting President Obama during the election (I didn’t ask, I think the poor guy felt guilty) and I immediately found any attraction I had previously had dissipate," she wrote. "But same thing happens if a guy starts talking about all the reasons why my father should be president. I have the ultimate Catch-22 in post-election dating. So where does that leave me, and who exactly am I attracted to? Let’s just say I’m spending a lot of time writing and even more time with my girlfriends."

McCain also said she hadn't gone on a single date during the presidential campaign because she was too busy, and "too paranoid about getting set up for a 'gotcha' moment. ...I am sure I am not being fair to all the men out there, but my recent experiences have left me scarred and wary of dating," she said, in the blog post titled “Looking for Mr. Far Right.”

"At this point, my biggest aphrodisiac is an apathetic attitude toward politics. So to all the fathers out there: If you want your daughters to be single in her 20s, I can say this — run for president.”

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who graduated from Columbia University two years ago, has often blogged about her experiences on the campaign trail.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • Meghan McCain
  1. Wayne, Greenville TX

Meghan McCain – a woman desperately in need of a life.

March 2, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  2. Rich

Poor Kid learned an important lesson early in life. If there is a bright side to all this it's that she has almost four years to find someone who knows more about living than worrying about politics.

If she thinks she has it bad try asking a girl out on a date when your father is the only funeral director in town.....I had to leave town and lie about what dear Dad did just to get to know a girl. I am now married and work in a residential design firm.... and avoid discussions on funeral arrangements at the water cooler! LOL... She'll learn to avoid talk of politics, trust me!

March 2, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. Mississippi Mike

She is pretty and smart. If I were still single I would welcome a relationship with her. Also, I don't think many men have a good idea of how wealthy her mother is. There's a lot to like about Meghan...

March 2, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. Davonroe

Meghan should consider talking to Mary Matalin. If any one can teach her how to leave politics out of the home, or the date, it's Matalin and Carville.

March 2, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. Mark

Why do we care CNN? Why do you think anyone cares Meghan?

Dad loses the election, and now this! Poor guy.

March 2, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. Franky

"There are things that have been difficult, but nothing quite as tough as dating. I fear the election has destroyed my ability and desire to date. Now, I cannot say at any point in my life that I have been very good at dating. But I have become something I used to despise: people who let politics dictate his or her attraction to someone."

I'm gonna tell you right now, don't let politics ruin your lifestyle. But I gotta say, when her father became the nominee, that was a just a big step forward. And if you do, your life is just gonna be complicated. Politics is a very personal matter, let the Big Boys take care of it...

I meet woman of all angles, and some of them may believe in abortion or not, some may believe in birth control, etc. Is different from one another, and I'm gonna tell you now, if the guy is like that, he ain't worth your time. Trust me, I'm everywhere, a player knows how to play this game...

March 2, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. ksdksdksd

Although she isn't interested in politics, I think she has a real career in writing or starring in movies, comedies, or a daytime talk shows.

March 2, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. Irony?

"So where does that leave me, and who exactly am I attracted to? Let’s just say I’m spending a lot of time writing and even more time with my girlfriends."

I wonder if that includes Dick Cheney's daughter...

March 2, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  9. Jason

Who cares? This isn't news, this belongs in a gossip magazine. Shame on your CNN for reporting on crap like this.

March 2, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  10. George the Democrat Obama fanatic.

Did the campaign kill her love life or the way she looked while on the campaign?

March 2, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  11. Ashley

...who cares? Why is this news?

March 2, 2009 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  12. And...

I'm sure his losing sorry campaign killed his love life also.

March 2, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  13. Christine

Who cares?

March 2, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  14. peter

get over yourself

March 2, 2009 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  15. Christie - AZ

What a ding dong. Does this girl really have to put herself out there as part of the Republican Party? It's turning me off.

March 2, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  16. JSU-TIGER99

Is this all CNN NEWS have to report on is someone LOVE LIFE!!!!!!!!!! Who cares if her boyfiend have gotten enough of daddy money and now he want to be with her best friend. Get over it baby

March 2, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  17. Not4MoreYears

Oh, for God's sake – WHY IS THIS NEWS???????

The economy is in the crapper, our troops are still at risk, Rush is running the GOP, and THIS IS NEWS?????

Have you lost all semblance of credibility?

March 2, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  18. Brian L

Interesting what does Sidney think?

Oh I forgot.... the abandoned children of Republicans don't matter.

March 2, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  19. JoeTheReporter

Ok, if I clearly understand this, is she gay without knowing it?Because as far as I know, only women don't seat down and strictly talk polictics. So...if she want to find a female partner that would work, I think.

March 2, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. thoughtful

I am sure she will find a good guy. Someone who doesn't care about politics. Hey if i was single, I would try to ask her out and never mentioin a thing about politics unless she truly wants to know. She is very attractive.

March 2, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  21. Had It

Maybe the little "three year old baby girl bows in your hair" killed your love life Ninny ! You're dumber than your dad. Good thing your Mommy has enough money from her Mommy and Daddy to provide for you idiots.

March 2, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. Jack

The key to dating is to know what you want before you start dating. Once you know what you want and what you are looking for, then you can communicate those expectations to your potential partner.

Frankly, not all dating has to be fore the purpose of matrimony. There are lots of people that do not wish to be married for the near term but don't want to cut themselves off from the opposte sex.

If you find that when your dates talk politics and it turns you off, then make sure you clarify that in the first contact. It's understandable for a kennedy or McCain not to talk politics because they live it daily. I hate talking about engineering during my free time. I like to talk about non-sense mostly. It takes my mind off the technical challenges of my job. Dating is like recess, it should be an enjoyable break in the regular day. Have fun and make it clear politics is off limits for the first 20 dates. Anyone dating a McCain already knows your politics. If they don't like your dad's positions, why bother asking you out.

Smiles,