March 3rd, 2009

McAuliffe asks Republican to condemn Limbaugh remarks

McAuliffe is trying to make Rush Limbaugh a campaign issue.
McAuliffe is trying to make Rush Limbaugh a campaign issue.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As national Democrats eagerly point to Rush Limbaugh’s influence among Republicans, one Virginia Democrat is looking to make the radio host a flash point in this year’s governor’s race.

Terry McAuliffe, the former Democratic National Committee chairman now seeking his party's nomination for governor, sent a letter Tuesday to the de facto Republican nominee, former state Attorney General Bob McDonnell, asking him to reject Limbaugh’s recent statement that he wants President Obama to fail.

“I know that you and I disagree on many issues, but I'm hoping that we can agree on this: hoping for failure isn't the right way to get our economy back on track,” McAuliffe wrote in the letter. “That's why I'm asking you to join me in condemning the remarks Rush Limbaugh made wishing for the President to fail.”

McAuliffe wrote that Virginians are concerned with getting the economy back on track and that Limbaugh’s comments are not constructive.

“I hope you'll join me in calling for Rush to start taking an approach that reflects the best of what our system stands for,” McAuliffe wrote.

McDonnell campaign spokesman Tucker Martin said McAuliffe "desperately wants our attention."

"And if he wins his competitive and tough primary in June he will get it," Martin said. "Until then, we wish him the best of luck.”

Current Virginia governor and DNC Chairman Tim Kaine highlighted Limbaugh’s influence in the GOP in multiple cable appearances Tuesday, calling the polarizing radio talker “the godfather” and “Wizard of Oz” of the Republican Party.

McAuliffe is competing against former House delegate Brian Moran and state senator Creigh Deeds in a three-way Democratic primary.

Story updated 5:00 p.m. EST

Filed under: Bob McDonnell • Rush Limbaugh • Terry McAuliffe
  1. phoenix86

Terry,

Go back to being irrelevent. We liked you better then.

March 3, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  2. B.Brown

If McDonnell opposes the king, he will get the smackdown like Steele and Cantor.

March 3, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. Independent Paul

Terry McAuliffe is a crook. If you people in Virginia vote for him, you deserve to have the most corrupt state in the union. He should be running in Illinois.

March 3, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. Mike Mundy, Houston, TX

Terry McAuliffe, put a sock in it! You are such a nerd!

March 3, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Jackie in Dallas

Oops, puts McDonnell between a rock and a hard place. We know Rush can put the thumb screws on, but if McDonnell doesn't agree with McAuliffe, he could seriously alienate the moderates that will probably decide the election. Smart move by McAuliffe.

March 3, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Matt

Yet another Lib who is misconstruing Rush's comment. He didn't say he hopes for Obama to fail, he said he hopes for THIS POLICY to fail since he doesn't believe in the bailout. I'm a strict Conservative, I don't want the President to fail, but I do want his liberal policy's to fail. Does that make sense to you folks? That way he will take a more moderate view when making future decisions.

March 3, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Apparently all dimwitted, ultra liberal democrats cannot hear nor can they read. Rush Limbaugh's out and out statement was not just plain and simply wishing Obama would fail. I believe his statement went something in the way of the current plan, i.e., socialistic rather than capitalistic government, that is what Limbaugh wishes to fail and, if any of you had half a brain, you would too. This country thrives on capitalism! You dems(wits) just go on and on about something, even if its totally taken out of context. I'm deeply saddened our great country is in the hands of LIBERAL DEMOCRATS. But, not for long, you will see. You will run it into the ground!

March 3, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. Helen

HAVE SOME MORE PAIN KILLERS RUSH...... MAYBE WITH A CHASER OF SCOTCH AGAIN!!!!!

March 3, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  9. change in America

Rush is a Big Clown..........Republicans is doom in 2010

Vote Demoncrate in 2010

March 3, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. It's that simple

I support the troops, not the war....

I support the economy, not Obama's policies.

There you have it.

March 3, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. George the Democrat Obama fanatic.

why!!!! why!!!!! let rush head their party. why are we giving them good advice???? it doesnt make sense to me

March 3, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. the heart of the matter

be still my heart–can it be a gop member with common sense and a hint of something going on upstairs.....good for mcauliffe!!!
    rush is a loser and a divisive outlook–lets hope HE fails and gets fired–it'd be a better world!

March 3, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  13. Tom

Um, many Democrats wanted Bush to fail because they did not agree with his conservative policies.

Why should a Republican, who believes in a small, limited role for government, hope that President Obama, who believes in expanding the role of government, succceed?

If I love organic foods, should I hope that ADM creates the next best genetically modified crop seed because they'll support 2 more jobs? NO, not if I am opposed to genetically modified crops.

We in this country have become too worried at offending people, especially liberals (but they really just care about not offending minorities....offend conservatives and religious people all you want).

I want this country to succeed. To me, that means not borrowing from our grandkids to pay for all of our mistakes! I do not want Obama to succeed in rewarding bad behavior. I do not want Obama to cut off schoolvouchers for kids in D.C. I do not want Obama to keep allowing pork after pork spending in every bill that he signs.

Sorry, I have to agree with Rush.

March 3, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Freddie

Yeah, Libs are so progressive. Condemning the likes of Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, yet accepting the out of context video clips from Michael Moore as the Gospel truth.

March 3, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. disgusted

He'll be waiting for a response for a long time.

March 3, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Gene

If the republicans keep following Rush's lead.. he'll lead them right over a cliff.. like a bunch of Lemmings.

March 3, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Jesus was a liberal

Leave Rush and the conservatives alone for awhile. Let them really get joined back at the hip with the hate speech. For the good of the country we need to see these pols for what they really are. Me First.... period.

I hate to say it, but there are a few of those on the Dem side too. We need more Ron Pauls and Obama's and less Tom Delay's and Pelosi's.

March 3, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. gary, gpp

These Dems are really very clever as of late !

March 3, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  19. tess

who gives a flying rip what mcawful thinks – he is the worst of the worst! if mean had a picture it would look like that low-rent huckster! he learned his trade at the foot of the clintons and learned it well but nobody wants his kind leading anything anymore – GO AWAY BACK UNDER THE ROCK YOU SLITHERED OUT FROM

March 3, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. Atlanta

HELLO , , , clean out your ears man or hear all of his words!!!!!!!!
    HEAR HIS WORDS . . .

March 3, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. me

The funny thing is: Most of America is finally waking up to the [r]epublican party all minorites have known oh so well since Lincoln. The racist, rich, greedy, ignorant, uneducated Grand Obsolete Party.

Rush me the oxycotin Limbo is the ultimate representative of the conservative movement. He is perfect for them in every way.
    Don't think so? Well: Where are the [r]epubs denouncing him?

Democrats spoke out against MoveOn.org...and they were exactly right.

March 3, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  22. Jim

Listen to Limbaugh's quote entirely before jumping on the bash-wagon. I totally agreed with Rush's statement; if Obama's agenda jeopardizes the freedoms that make up America, then I too hope he fails. Who wouldn't?

March 3, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. snowbear

Rush needs the proper vetting since becoming the new King of the GOP.Lets look in every closet,and the ones offshore too.This is going to be fun.

March 3, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. Brian

If the Repbulican party wants President Obama's policies to fail, what does that say to the American people? It says that the Republican party cares more about politics then the American people. They want people to continue to go without jobs, companies to continue to lose profits, people to lose homes, because they want to be the party to "save us all". This country is going through an economic disaster and all this guy cares about is how they can discredit the other party so they can look good! This is American? This is being a patriot? If I were a republican lawmaker I would distance myself from this guy as fast as I could. But since I am not....keep up the good work.

March 3, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. Mathew

God' Own Party (GOP) is commiting suicide by hanging on ROP (Rush's Own Play)

March 3, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |