March 4th, 2009

A big surprise for the Obama girls

The Obama girls still don't have a puppy, but they did receive another surprise when they arrived home from school Wednesday.'

(CNN) – The Obama girls still don't have a puppy, but they did receive another surprise when they arrived home from school Wednesday– a brand new swing set.

A spokeswoman for First Lady Michelle Obama says Malia and Sasha, ages 10 and 7, "squealed with delight" when they saw their surprise, playing on the swing set for almost an hour in the chilly weather.

The girls' parents arranged for the play set to be installed Wednesday at the White House grounds, within sight of the Oval Office, before Malia and Sasha arrived home from Sidwell Friends school.

Filed under: Extra • Malia Obama • Michelle Obama • President Obama • Sasha Obama
  1. HouseDiva

who cares!

March 4, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  2. Lilly Rose

Sweet. I wasn't a rich kid like the Obama girls, but my brother and I had a swing-seesaw set in our yard when we were kids and we had a great time with our friends. Have a great time girls!

March 4, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  3. Griff............... on The Truth...

You deserve so much better. What can I say to you? We all want the impossible. But????

March 4, 2009 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  4. Matt

Will all American kids get free swingsets now?

March 4, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  5. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

This family is just too cute! What great role models for ALL families and how wonderful to finally have real family values in Washington DC!

March 4, 2009 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  6. Ronnie Patrick

How loving can it get for these two adorable kids. So much love it just makes you cry.

March 4, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  7. Shirley in California

And let the hate fest begin.....

March 4, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  8. peacenow

So happy the girls got a swing set, now tell me how to pay for my children to have healthcare

Focus people on the REAL ISSUES

The current President , his wife, and all of the past presidents can all live quite well, on our dime. They all get big book deals and make even more money out of office, than in office, so great, enjoy your swing, I am paying for it, and your Mom and Dad can buy the world a swing set even if the stimulus fails, because they have book deals, we have the debt of all the crooked, bought off by lobby group politicians
    ENJOY

March 4, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  9. OzarksWisdom

No puppy yet? Rumor has it the choice for the dog's name is a toss-up between Hugo and Fidel...

March 4, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  10. Spreg

Awesome!

March 4, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  11. esther

go on sweet little darlings enjoy yourselves

March 4, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  12. Cindy

That has to be the cutest thing ever!! I am so happy for them. Finally the White House has some life to it.

March 4, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  13. Leah DiMarco, Texas

I am so happy for the girls.
    Can barely wait until April when they get their puppy!

March 4, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  14. ncdawg

Did the HOA approve the installation?

March 4, 2009 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  15. Linda in MS

Precious girls.

March 4, 2009 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  16. waterdog

Wait til they see their new eco-doghouse! I read that Neil Young is delivering it. Very cool. Apparently Andrew Jackson planted the tree that the wood came from and it was toppled during a tornado and salvaged. Google "Summa Canum".

March 4, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  17. Abby

Kids still play on swingsets? I thought they only camped in front of the television and video games. Ahhh well, it'll be good for show and tell, as well as family photo opportunities.

March 4, 2009 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  18. get rid of campbell brown

i'm glad to see the obama's making their daughters' lives as normal as possible under the circumstances. but i'm amazed that cnn considers this worthy of putting in the political ticker. the only reason i can see them doing it, is to stir up mindless criticism from people who will argue that he should be worried about the deficit and not spend taxpayer money on a swing set for his daughters. idiot ditto-heads

March 4, 2009 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  19. Al, California

Great president, great family.

March 4, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  20. david

I think thats really neat, i have three children of my own, i hope it makes them feel at home while away from home GOD BLESS YOU children!!

March 4, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  21. Nan

Within sight of the Oval Office. That's a dad who knows what keeps him grounded.

March 4, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  22. Judy from PA

Hey my kids need a new swing set too! I lost my job and am unable to pay for one. Spread the wealth! HAHA!!

It's a joke, guys!

March 4, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  23. Jim

Less tv more outdoors, they are such great parents, such a great family.

March 4, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  24. ken

May God bless these cute girls!!

March 4, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  25. Tek

How nice. I am a father to small children, and my heart was filled with joy to read this. How fantastic that there is a swing set on the White House lawn. I can't fully explain my reaction to this, but it's just nice and cheery.

March 4, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |