March 4th, 2009

Limbaugh vs. President Obama

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh challenged President Obama to a verbal showdown Wednesday.

(CNN) - Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh challenged President Obama to a verbal showdown Wednesday, calling on him to visit his talk show for an "intelligent, open discussion" on issues like health care and taxes.

"If you can win at this, then come here and beat me at my own game, and get rid of me once and for all, and show all the people of America that I am wrong," said Limbaugh. "If you take me out, if you can wipe me out in a debate and prove to the rest of America that what I say is senseless and wrong, do you realize you will own the United States of America?"

Limbaugh also accused the White House of orchestrating an attack on him, telling his listeners that the Obama team is demonizing the radio host since Bush left office. He said the effort was being spearheaded by White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who Limbaugh refers to as the "power behind the throne."

"Don't let his effeminate nature and his ballerina past mislead you on this. He may look effeminate (he was a ballerina at one time) but he has the feral instincts of a female rat defending its young," Limbaugh said.

"I'm calling. I'm ready. I'll do everything I can to facilitate it. You're a very courageous man, Mr. President. I am, after all, just The Last Man Standing," Limbaugh said.

In January, Limbaugh called on the president to sign on to his “bi-partisan” stimulus plan, which would increase government spending for roughly half the country, and cut taxes for the other half.

Filed under: President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Jaye

Obama is scared of Limbaugh??? March 4th, 2009 4:00 pm ET
    "Man I would love to see this. I know it will never happen though as your great leader is too busy spending my great-great grandkids money, or is that my great-great-great grandkids money?"

Who are you speaking to? Who is the "your" you're directing your snide attitude at? The rest of us 350+ million US citizens or just anybody who happens to reading your remarks out in cyberspace?
    Well have fun with that. Give yourself a pat on the back and feel oh so smug at how cleaver you are directing your comments at a stereotype.

March 4, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Spencer/Newport News, VA

Rush LimBLAHBLAHBLAH. Get a life prick. You're not on the President's level. How about you, Bobby Jindal, John McCain and Sarah Palin have a debate. You people are what's wrong with this country. Fix yourselves!!!

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. johnny b

the question is ... to tackle the enemy of the perfect now or wait until there is no longer than enemy - rush's chances of a heart attack have risen even if he can't get his drugs illegally.
    I suggest stay away from the fray and not lose the limelight. Tackling the issues of the greatest country on the planet is far more important than taking an earful from the far right...I don't mind rush's attempt for free speech, but he rarely acknowledges when a democrat does something good...and he is not an economicist. Where was he when the republicans ran the country into the ground, with an unfinished war (afgan), an invasion of an innocent country (iraq), more spending than even reagan and so mush lack of oversight that I can't think of anything that the prior republican admin/congress did right.....so I guess in rush's mind he is right (FAR RIGHT) and everyone else is wrong...

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  4. lib4

Its a trap
    Its a win win for Limbaugh
    Obama comes on and he reduces the President to his level
    Obama doesnt come on and he accuses him of cowardice.

Limbaugh and Repubs can dish it out but they cant ever take it.

Now a message to MSM, Boehner and Cantor who is keeping this "distraction" alive Obama or Limbaugh...yeah thought so

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. V

Why would Obama entertain getting into it with this fool? He's a windbag, a BIG one! I have many expletive-laced comments for Mr. Porky, but I'll save them for another time.

And shame on Steele for backing down!!!

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  6. Ken from missouri

If Rush wants to debate all he has to do is run for President but that doesn't pay enough for him but really he should if he is the leader of the republican party he should get the nomination no problem so
    Rush put your money where your mouth is and run.

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. sick of complainers

LMAO Is this fat pig for real? This clown is so beneath Pres Obama that Mr President wouldn't even entertain being in the same room with this idiot. I thought this was the funnies thing I read since reading Micheal Steel's pathetic apology to this slob. Boy is he trying to turn the tables by picking on Raham and Mr President. Forget it fat boy, nobody is going to bite.

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. Dan, TX

LOL, the only one demonizing Limbaugh is Limbaugh.

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. Freed_From_W

Jim @ 4:31:
    "How can he be the spokesperson for the conservative right wing republican party. He's been divorced 3 times and addicted to and arrested for drugs. He's crazy."

I'm not following you....

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  10. Chris - Denver

Boy, Rush is really enjoying his resrgence of relevance, isn't he? I'd like to think the American public is smart enough to ignore the things Mr. Limbaugh has to say, but then again, we did elect Bush president...

March 4, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  11. maria cristina miolan

March 4th, 2009 4:38 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    You are a disgrace to intelligent America Limbaugh, get a life, the only thing stupid our President would do is to even consider justifying your idiotic philosophy of what you think this nation should be, continue on with your show and polluting the minds of your listeners, You who are resposible for the divisive state america is in, and you shoud be ashamed. our past heroes of the republican party Abe Lincoln and Ron Reagan don't deserve their party tainted with your dusgusting bad blood.
    in the grave they will turn if you ever lead their party or even considered running. you are a disgrace to this nation and what makes me ashamed of the dark side of America.
    MR. LIMBAUGH, WHAT IS EATING YOU INSIDEOUT IS HATRED!

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. Joe - Chicago, IL

Well Mr. Limbaugh, since you have all the answers, you should run for office. Say what you will about McCain, Steele, Obama, Pelosi, etc, at least they had the courage to seek public office and attempt to solve the countries problems. Any fool can get on the airwaves and critique.

So run for office, when you get beat by a 2 to 1 ratio, at least you can claim you tried.

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  13. peter

The gop cannot ever win the whitehouse again,because of the rise of the minority vote,which the media fails to report,for instance,if the minority vote would have ben 27% back in 1980 reagan would have lost by 1%instead of winning by 9%,dukakis would have won by 2%,instead of losing by 8%,gore would have won by 7%,instead of finishing in a tie,in kerry would have won by 4% instead of losing by 3%,in reverse if the minority vote would have been 14% like it was in 1988 obama would have lost to mccain by 3%,instead of winning by 8%,you see people its not the white vote like the media is potraying,its the minority vote thats killing the gop,and its a serious problem the media have to report on because its a very serious problem to the gop.

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. MICHAEL

Looks like Rush has been back in the medicine cabinet again. He sounds so paranoid. Looking at Rush on the news tells me something else he needs. Slim Fast!! I feel sorry for this old fat slob.

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  15. Astounded

I can't imagine, and certainly hope, the President won't do such a thing. This guy isn't anybody. He has real work to do, whether you agree with him or not. That would be like the adults patting the high school bully on the back.

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  16. toni

Rush have you taken you medicine? just checking.

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  17. Ms. Johnson, Pearland,Texas

This disrespectful dope head is full of himself to say the least, He has been elevated to god-like status by the republican party and that is very sad for that party. The ignorance he spews is sad but the fact that people not only listen to him but call themselves ditto-heads is very, very sad. I thank God these people continue to be in the minority.

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  18. dan

poor old man, the years are starting to fall on him

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  19. Sue

Professional liberal blogger alert!
    And be careful when you bring up drugs. Never know where that conversation will take us.
    The White House is engaging this conversation when there are other things to deal with, don't ya think?

March 4, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  20. michaela najor

Rush doesn't know the difference between the constitution and the declaration if independence. I bet any immigrant who obtained citizenship in the u.s. knows more about our government than he does. Just listen to his rant at the left wing-nut rally of republicans recently held....It's all over the web

March 4, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  21. Rush and the Republicans deserve each other

President Obama just needs to ignore this self-inflated fool. Rush's popularity is fading in mainstream America. The only people who listen to him are the misguided Republicans.

Just ignore him President Obama. You have more important and dignified things to do than pay any mind to this attention-seeking. loud-mouthed, hateful, petty nobody! He's a joke to intelligent people!

March 4, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  22. Sniffit

I'm sure Obama is too busy, you know, running the country and all...but please let me stand in for him...I would LOVE to get within an arm's length of Rush Limbaugh.

March 4, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  23. Dems be dopes

"The President is too smart to fall for Limbaugh's trap."

It is not a trap if you come adequately prepared and actually believe in what you are doing.

If NoBama would actually show up and have a conversation on the issues, without a teleprompter this could end all this nonsense once and for all and maybe "Cause" bipartisanship to happen.

I don't think he will do it as Prez Pelosi and VP Reid won't let him.

March 4, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  24. Mathilda

"your great leader...blah blah...spending spree goes on and on" – Didn't the Republican Party bail out the banks? Or did I dream that? I love how ignorant people put the blame on whoever is immediately in charge, instead of who was in charge at the time. How quickly we rewrite history...also, what was the alternative to a stimulus plan? Deeper recession? That sounds like fun.

Like Obama doesn't have bigger, loudmouth fish to fry than RL. What a loser.

March 4, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  25. MAC, FROM LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA

"You" are a disgrace to intelligent America Limbaugh, get a life, the only thing stupid our President would do is to even consider justifying your idiotic philosophy of what you think this nation should be, continue on with your show and polluting the minds of your listeners, You who are resposible for the divisive state america is in, and you shoud be ashamed. our past heroes of the republican party Abe Lincoln and Ron Reagan don't deserve their party tainted with your dusgusting bad blood.
    MR. LIMBAUGH, WHAT IS EATING YOU INSIDEOUT IS HATRED!

March 4, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |