March 4th, 2009

Limbaugh vs. President Obama

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh challenged President Obama to a verbal showdown Wednesday.

(CNN) - Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh challenged President Obama to a verbal showdown Wednesday, calling on him to visit his talk show for an "intelligent, open discussion" on issues like health care and taxes.

"If you can win at this, then come here and beat me at my own game, and get rid of me once and for all, and show all the people of America that I am wrong," said Limbaugh. "If you take me out, if you can wipe me out in a debate and prove to the rest of America that what I say is senseless and wrong, do you realize you will own the United States of America?"

Limbaugh also accused the White House of orchestrating an attack on him, telling his listeners that the Obama team is demonizing the radio host since Bush left office. He said the effort was being spearheaded by White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who Limbaugh refers to as the "power behind the throne."

"Don't let his effeminate nature and his ballerina past mislead you on this. He may look effeminate (he was a ballerina at one time) but he has the feral instincts of a female rat defending its young," Limbaugh said.

"I'm calling. I'm ready. I'll do everything I can to facilitate it. You're a very courageous man, Mr. President. I am, after all, just The Last Man Standing," Limbaugh said.

In January, Limbaugh called on the president to sign on to his “bi-partisan” stimulus plan, which would increase government spending for roughly half the country, and cut taxes for the other half.

Filed under: President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Anonymous

I think the WH should just continue to let this guy dig his own, and the Repbulican Party's, graves one gaffe, internal snipefest and double-meat cheeseburger at a time. These people are ridiculous; the fact that an unelected, bloated sack of festering hate and bitterness is the de facto head of their party just hastens their eventual irrelevance.

March 4, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Cathy

This man needs to start RESPECTING our president.! He is crossing the L I N E.

March 4, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Tom

Limbaugh is nothing more than a self-important buffoon (and an idiot).

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. Lillie

Please chill RUSH!!!!! Your party is no longer in power....please get over IT!!!!!

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. Adam

I would pay to see this debate. Limbaugh's style would be overwhelming for Obama because he talks too much out of both sides of his mouth. For an example research his Iraq war cuts–he is planning as if the war will go to 2019, not 2012 and he calls the difference a reduction in spending... he also fails to realize a 100% tax of income for people making over $200,000 would still not pay for all of his plans... Obama also claims to not be a fan of big government, yet that is precisely what we are in for and he knows it.

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Ms. Jamaica

Somebody please euthanize this pig!

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. kevin, ABQ

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. Jacob

What in God's name are Rush Limbaugh's comments doing on CNN? Is he paying for ad space?

Rush will now call Obama a coward for declining the interview.

Run for President Rush, and you can debate him all you want.

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Kate

call me crazy but i'm pretty sure President Obama has more important things to do right now but nice try Rush..

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  10. NYHillary

Hope Obama don't do it. They are getting nerves now because of their poll ratings. He's a radio speaker he's not worth it. I guess he is the Republican Party spoke person.

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  11. Paul, Riverside CA

If Limbaugh is NOT the voice of the GOP, then why would President Obama benefit from this debate?

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  12. ST

I think Obama has more important things to do than to play Limbaugh's games. Obama has a country to run. Limbaugh only runs his mouth.

My question to Limbaugh and others is: if you're so much smater and you don't like Obama's plans to fix the mess we're in, what are your plans? Do you have any? If not, SHUT YOUR MOUTHS!!!!

March 4, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  13. Jones Dean

Yes, why not ?! It would be great to see this debate – I hope live !

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  14. jeff

if he wants to ave an intilligent who will be sitting in for rush???

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  15. Bob from pittsburgh

This guy is delusional.. he raves and talk nonsense to a bunch of blind mice, most of his listeners could not listen to another point of view, they just blindly follow Rush, even when he is not sober (that is most of the time)

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. Mg

Please as if the President really has time to sit down and debate with this guy. Rush you're an idiot!

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. Sniffit

Yeah, like Obama has time to waste visiting this virulent clown who has not once showed an iota of respect to him as our President. And wow, could he lace what he was saying with any more homophobia? Sorry Rush, you must be suffering hallucinations and paranoid delusions from the OxyContin withdrawal...you're just not important enough to take up the POTUS' time. I'm pretty sure he's glad to sick back and let you and the GOP hang yourselves without his help.

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  18. Angel

Pride comes before a fall.....i always remember to be humble everyday of my life because you never know that said, i don't think President Obama has time for Rush....

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. nora CC TXAS

Just go away RUSH, you are a PAIN!!!

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Ms. Dee

This man is such a joke! I wish Obama would take him up on his offer and shut his irrational talk down. How can so many people be taken in by such blatant bigotry and ignorance? What is this man offering besides give more money to the rich in order to screw over all the poor people who are really suffering? White America that still embraces the old way of doing things, stand up and support your Last Man Standing...because the second all that "pork" he has been injesting all these years catches up to him, he will (hopefully) expire...ashes to ashes, dust to dust :)

March 4, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Video Guy

President Obama is too busy cleaning up after the likes of this clown.
    Rush, take a pill and go away.

March 4, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  22. EBJ

Hey Rush..like him or not Obama IS the president of the United States and I don't know what makes you think that he should take the time out of his scheduele to come and debate you on anything. He holds the most powerful position on the planet, and really owes you NOTHING! If he was candidate Obama I would say go for it. I know many of you GOPers still can't accept the fact the man won, but come on at least if you don't like him respect the office that he holds.

March 4, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  23. Charles Atlanta

Is he crazy or what? I think he thinks he is King of GOP.. He needs to look at the mirror and ask himself, who do you think you are?

March 4, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  24. Monrob

Why does the media give this pig such a platform?

March 4, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  25. Brandon

Seriously CNN, why do you continue to broadcast this useless nonsense?

March 4, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |