March 4th, 2009

Limbaugh vs. President Obama

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh challenged President Obama to a verbal showdown Wednesday.

(CNN) - Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh challenged President Obama to a verbal showdown Wednesday, calling on him to visit his talk show for an "intelligent, open discussion" on issues like health care and taxes.

"If you can win at this, then come here and beat me at my own game, and get rid of me once and for all, and show all the people of America that I am wrong," said Limbaugh. "If you take me out, if you can wipe me out in a debate and prove to the rest of America that what I say is senseless and wrong, do you realize you will own the United States of America?"

Limbaugh also accused the White House of orchestrating an attack on him, telling his listeners that the Obama team is demonizing the radio host since Bush left office. He said the effort was being spearheaded by White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who Limbaugh refers to as the "power behind the throne."

"Don't let his effeminate nature and his ballerina past mislead you on this. He may look effeminate (he was a ballerina at one time) but he has the feral instincts of a female rat defending its young," Limbaugh said.

"I'm calling. I'm ready. I'll do everything I can to facilitate it. You're a very courageous man, Mr. President. I am, after all, just The Last Man Standing," Limbaugh said.

In January, Limbaugh called on the president to sign on to his “bi-partisan” stimulus plan, which would increase government spending for roughly half the country, and cut taxes for the other half.

Filed under: President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Kevin in Ohio

The President would obviously lose any such battle. And it appears his supporters posting here (the ones saying "don't do it Mr President") know it.

By the way, why is Rush any different than the haters and naysayers we were hearing from for eight years while Mr.Bush was President? Why is he different than George Soros or George Clooney or anyone else?? Maybe because he uses something called LOGIC????????

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  2. sam

In the words of Eddie Murphy, (from the movie, Harlem Nights): What would he( President Obama) look like palling around a fat, stank, cheesy, bloated, 12 sandwich eatin',gelatin behind anyway??

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  3. Nate

By trying to paint Rush Limbaugh as the Republican Party leader, the Democrats very much legitimize him, so this really is not an outlandish request.

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. Craig Nazor

It appears that Rush doesn't know the difference between a man and a woman. That's probably a good thing – it would be very, very unfortunate to have this guy as a father.

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. Michael

Oh brother. Limbaugh is in a world all his own. This guy really thinks he is God. Can anyone be more self centered. If the President responds to that he should leave his post.

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. james

I know that it would never happen.... but I would like to see the President have to justify all of these stupid liberal loons idea of spending our money and this be done without Obama having his teleprompter in front of him...I bet there would be a lot of stampering and studdering going on.

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  7. Jim, Burlington NC

Out of touch with reality.

In complete denial.

Hides his drug supply and is a "Doctor shopper" for his pain killers and errectile dysfunction pills.

Yup, sounds like the leader of the GOP. He even has the cahones (even if they don't work) to think he is on a level with the POTUS.

He's a coward and a traitor to the US – Limp-baugh continues to show why his party is now a marginlized regional party.

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  8. Jason

The thing is Obama has A LOT to lose with this where as Limbaugh has NOTHING to lose as he is already a rat in the sewer. He just wants to drag Obama down to his level.

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. Nathan James

Rush and many “Conservatives” believe in one fundamental principle….

Blacks and immigrants are the root cause to all of America’s problems!!!

Everyone is defending Rush’s right to free speech and lauding him for being honest and those ridiculous “don’t hate the messenger” comments.

If he were really honest he would come out flatly and tell it like it is. But he is not; he is just another relic from the repub’s glory days who wishes people of different orientation and beliefs knew there place and stayed there.

Is that someone you want representing you?

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  10. Adam

Obama wouldn't stand a chance! Have you heard him talk without a prompter? They would need all 3 hours of Rush's show for 1 question.

Moderator: The majority of Americans believe your mortgage plan is unfair. How do you respond to that?

Obama: Hope...ummm uh, uhhhhh...um uhhh I inherited this deficit....uhhhh um...change....uhhhhhhhhh. The thing is...um, uhhhh...um, we are reversing the failed policies of the Bush administration...uhhh.....hope.

*Pause for commercial break*

Obama: Uhhhhhh... um...change...

Moderator: Geez, that's what I thought.

March 4, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  11. donna

I think Obama has more important things to worry about and Rush should have taken ballet in the past..maybe he wouldn't look like a tub of lard now....

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  12. Russh, I love PERCOCET too

This is a rediculous attempt at humor. No one with any intelligence thinks the POTUS is going to debate a radio talk show host. If you think this a great idea then you are clearly a Rush fan who wants to hear/see him disrespect the POTUS for your own gratification. Rush is an imbecile. If you agree with Rush and want the POTUS to fail, just remember, failure is not some abstract concept with a scoreboard that you go home and forget. If Obama fails, because his policies will be in effect, then the nation fails. And what we are experiencing now will pale in comparison to what that would mean.

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. Florida Joe

I think Rush needs some more pills...............Can't imagine this idiot thinking our President has even one second to spend talking to Rush......He is way too busy cleaning up the mess your boy George W created................

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  14. Barton

If I were Obama I'd say through my press secretary "If Mr. Limbaugh wants to debate I hear that we just had an election where he choose not to participate. If Mr. Limbaugh is interested in debating the President of the US then, if he is not in drug rehab, I hear that we have another election is less than four years and Mr. Limbaugh is free to run and debate at that time." Otherwise, he is free to express his opinion like any other person – and by the way he can send a message to the president though our new web site."

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  15. Angela

Rush, you load of lard, Obama is busy. He is the President of the U.S. not some right wing talk rado host who will say and do anything for rating. However, Bush is free, call him.

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. JPM

"If you can win at this, then come here and beat me at my own game, and get rid of me once and for all, and show all the people of America that I am wrong"

Limbaugh is an idiot. There is no right or wrong in this to prove. The two have polar opposite ideas on how to run the country. Even 10 years down the road we will still be debating whether the stimulus helped or hurt the economy.

Obama gets all the press he needs to promote his agenda. Debating with Limbaugh would only give Limbaugh a bigger audience to preach to. Limbaugh knows it will never happen.

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  17. Chris

Why would President Obama give this cheap comedian the time of day and any ratings? I think the head of the GOP gets way to much media coverage. The party of values, only wants to see our country and our President FAIL!
    The GOP falied us! They had control and ran this country in the ground.

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  18. Sean Chong

Obama is scared of Limbaugh??? said this:
    "Man I would love to see this. I know it will never happen though as your great leader is too busy spending my great-great grandkids money, or is that my great-great-great grandkids money? Oh well, I have lost track as the spending spree goes on and on. But by all means, keep the focus on Rush. That way, you mindless sheep will not notice what is REALLY going on in Washington……."

If you ever read the spending by the US government... $783 billions annually to defense, $700 billions combined for healthcare and pensions. $700 billions bailout initiated by George Bush. The largest spending on highway? Republican Einsenhower.

Yeap, your George Bush has already spend your great grand children's money. And of course, it's Rush who wants the debate... so he wants that glory. Obama doesn't even care about this guy. Ask him to continue his nonsense.... the news on the economy is so.... lousy until I see Rush... he brightens up my day... with all his nonsense!

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  19. Lush Limprick and Osama bin Laden Share the Same Vision for America - FAILURE!

Lush do challange President Obama to a battle of the minds, you are woefully unarmed.

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. Dee

Grow up.....

March 4, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. Dave

Most of you don't know anything about Rush...Yet, here you are, blasting him. And why? Because you believe in "Hope" and "Change"?

Rush never said he wants America to fail, just the Obama Socialistic Agenda. I'm not a Rush Fan, nor am I a Republican, but jeez people, can't you see what's going on?

How do you like how Obama is doing? $787B here, $400B there, earmark, after earmark after earmark. Is that the change you wanted? Probably is. Judging by the ignorant comments, I would bet that all of you are on welfare, needing a mortgage bailout because you're irresponsible with your money and uneducated because you've sponged off of government programs all your life.

I hope you guys wake up and really see whats going on here and elect some more republicans in the House and Senate so that we have some checks and balances. Otherwise get used to seeing Pelosi on TV saying "WE WON!" Then, proceeding to cram another multi-Billion dollar bill down our throats. Even Bush didn't spend money like this!

March 4, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  22. Todd

And I thought only the dirty Republicans resorted to name-calling..

Thanks for showing your party's true "class" A Real American, Maryanne Ross, Anne, gpm, Laverne, and Kiddo. We knew you had it in you all the time!

March 4, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. Smart People

Let me get this straight...A college dropout wants to challenge a Harvard graduate to a debate? Limbaugh's ego has to have reached a whole new level since he became the voice the repubs.

This is ridiculous. Our president does not have the time to stop by Rush's hate studio, and compete in a debate. This will accomplish nothing. Either way the right wing will say Rush "Won" and the left wing will say Obama "Won". The only thing this will accomplish is adding another notch to Rush's overblown relevancy belt. I mean this figuratively and literally.

March 4, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  24. Raymond

I hear clucking from the White House!!

March 4, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  25. Vivian

He truly is the head of the Republican Party.

March 4, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |