March 5th, 2009

Barbara Bush has heart surgery in Houston

Former first lady Barbara Bush had heart surgery Wednesday in Houston, Texas.
Former first lady Barbara Bush had heart surgery Wednesday in Houston, Texas.

(CNN) - Former first lady Barbara Bush underwent heart surgery Wednesday at Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, a hospital spokeswoman told CNN.

Jean Becker, chief of staff for former President George H.W. Bush, said that Barbara Bush, 83, was "fine" following the surgery.

"In fact, she is awake," Becker said.

"We, of course, naively wanted to keep it quiet - Mrs. Bush did," Becker said Wednesday night. "She thought there was too much fuss the last time."

Wednesday's surgery was not related to surgery she had in November for a perforated ulcer.

Her husband is with her in the hospital, where she is expected to remain for seven to 10 days.

"I am very impressed with and grateful to the wonderful team of doctors and nurses at The Methodist Hospital who have helped Barbara," the former president said. "We have every confidence she is in the best hands."

Full story

Filed under: Barbara Bush • President Bush
  1. Larry

Barbara, you are a wonderful person,and I am praying for a fast recovery.

March 5, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  2. Dawn

I am not a big fan of the Bush's, but I wish the Former First Lady best wishes and get well soon.

March 5, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  3. strong

I love Mrs. Bush. Get well soon, my dear. We need strong people like you.

March 5, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  4. Anthony

God bless Mrs. Bush...feel better soon...

March 5, 2009 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. obama-mama

I wish Mrs. Bush a speedy recovery.

March 5, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  6. Deb

God bless you Mrs Bush....from Demo voter

March 5, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  7. nicole

I didn't know she had a heart. hmmph.

March 5, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  8. Lisa B

Who cares. Ever since I saw this disgusting woman standing in a shelter in Houston filled with refugees from New Orleans after hurricane Katrina speaking with reporters (does anyone remember this moment) and she said: "THEY HAVE A HOT MEAL AND A BED TO SLEEP ON WHICH IS MORE THAN THEY HAD BEFORE THE STORM" I lost all respect for her and the entire Bush family. It really gave me an insight as to how the Bushes really think and who they really are. Now that Dubya is gone and his legacy of destroying the United States in almost every way possible, the statement she made that day in that shelter rings even more profound. I do not wish her any harm, but I could care less about her and the entire family's ills.

March 5, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  9. Denise

Best wishes Barbara and family.

March 5, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  10. Lisa B

March 5, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  11. Kayne

Get Well Barbara! :)

March 5, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  12. Lisa B

Who cares. After watching this disgusting woman standing in a shelter in Houston that was housing refugees from hurricane Katrina and she said (does anyone remember seeing this): "THESE PEOPLE ARE GETTING 3 MEALS A DAY AND A BED, WHICH IS MORE THAN THEY HAD BEFORE THE STORM", I have no respect for her or any of the Bush family. It showed me great insight in to how this family thinks and feels. And after the disasterous 8 years of Dubya looks like the apple does not fall far from the tree. I don't give a rat's a$$ about what happens to this woman or her any of her ills. Disgusting.

March 5, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  13. EC

Barbara Bush is probably stressed and worried that her son, George Jr. might go to jail. That's enough to give me a heart valve problem too.

March 5, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |