March 5th, 2009

Huckabee will return to South Carolina for Fair Tax rally

Huckabee's campaign faltered in South Carolina last January.
Huckabee's campaign faltered in South Carolina last January.

(CNN) – Mike Huckabee will travel to the early primary state of South Carolina in April to make an appearance at a rally for Fair Tax supporters, who helped energize to his underdog presidential bid when he adopted the tax proposal into his campaign platform.

The rally will take place in downtown Columbia on Tax Day, April 15, according to the Fair Tax web site.

The trip will mark Huckabee’s second trip to South Carolina since the general election ended. The former Arkansas governor did a multi-city tour of the state in December to promote his new book.

Filed under: Mike Huckabee
  1. Vietnam Vet71

I grew up in South Carolina in the fifties and sixties under Jim Crow Laws and segregated schools. In spite of inferior schools I consider myself a success story. The party affiliation may have changed (Democratic Dixie rats to Republican); but the SC political machine has the same aim, keep the poor and the disadvantage down. Gov Mark Sanford leads in the same way as Dixie rat Sen. Strom Thurmond did during the fifties and sixties, only the tone has been modified.

March 5, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. kingssman

Fair tax, oh you mean the Prince John tax system? where the rich pay $6,000 in taxes and the poor pay $6,000 in taxes?

March 5, 2009 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. simmy

Sort of Pastor Huckabee,

Please stay on Fox. That's the only place where you look like you belong.

Sincerely,

A Dem. Forever.........................

March 5, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  4. Bob

Who is he going to be talking to???? The only people whining are the wealthy ones who can afford to be on TV or make them a commercial. It is time for you guys to give back all the money that you have under handly taken from people. The reason people can't pay their mortgage is because of raising interest rate you can't go from $500 one year to $1000 the next year and expect people to stay in their homes. Give me a break!!!! I got to say this you guys got to get rid of the Lou Dobb show. It is awful!!!

March 5, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. Obama - NOPE

Huckabee gave us Obama. The nomination and the Presidency would have gone to Mitt Romney.

March 5, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  6. lovable liberal

'Fair' in the Republican lexicon meaning 'good for the rich'...

March 5, 2009 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  7. Get Real

I wish this man would have got the nomination. I love watching his show. Keep pushing for this form of taxation. It is the only way to tax fairly.

March 5, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  8. Santa Maria

How many of you guys even understand taxation at all. We ALL benefit from living in this country. Public education is free to ALL. Roads are for the most part free to ALL. Fire protection is free to ALL.

Except for the fact that some people pay for these services, while others stand there with their hands out saying "It is my entitlement".

To those who call the fair tax a "poor tax", you obviously don't understand anything about how this tax would work. Rich people will still pay more taxes...unless all they do is put their money in their mattress. Money is useless unless you spend it. The way things are now, some people pay tons of taxes while others get that money redistributed to them. How the heck is that fair?

March 5, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  9. Dylan from Minneapolis

Huckabee is to politics as curling is to the Olympics.

March 5, 2009 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  10. ines

Bob – Lou Dobbs' show is awful. Agreed.

March 5, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  11. ken

Everyone should pay the same percentage of taxes. Whether you make 50,000 per year or 200,000, a certain % will place the same burden on everyone. Then when the gov't wants to cut or raise taxes, they will have to do it for everyone, not just for a certain group.

March 5, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  12. Obama 2.0

I like the fair tax idea. Everyone pays 5% no matterhow much you make!

March 5, 2009 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  13. arithmetic is liberal

Using the loaf of bread argument for the "Fair Tax":

Who will be impacted more impacted by a 15% tax on a loaf of bread?

Someone who makes $500 a week?
    Or Someone who makes $5,000 a week?

Please use the sense God gave a gopher and see through this Hucksterabee's snake oil taxation. Newflash: it doesn't benefit you, average American voter.

March 5, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  14. Chris

It's definitely not a poor tax. If you read more about the FairTax, you will find poor people pay zero net tax up to the poverty level through the use of monthly prebates.

The weathiest of americans are able to avoid much of the taxes they would normally owe. Under this system, they pay for what they purchase. No tax shelters needed.

The price of goods right now would actually be very similar to the prices of goods under the FairTax. Any product you currently purchase already has taxes embedded in it, like the payroll tax and many others. The FairTax eliminates those taxes, and shifts it to sales tax.

March 5, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  15. Chris

Under the FairTax, fewer variables exist, allowing the government to crack down more effectively on tax avoidance.

Rather than tracking millions of business and millions of workers, the government only needs to track the businesses.

Of course avoidance will still exist, but it will be much more manageable.

March 5, 2009 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  16. annie - Palin 2012

Fair tax would cripple alot of our corrupt politicians and at least 98% of them are corrupt.

March 5, 2009 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  17. annie - Palin 2012

Evidently most of the comments on here from bo supporters show how ignorant they are. The don't even have a clue what fair tax is. They support bo because they are they ones who don't work, won't work, but want they working man or woman give them a hand out.

March 5, 2009 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  18. carlo

What he really means is a tax that is fair to the 5% of people who are going to have to pay more taxes under President Obama's plan. Everyone else is getting a cut, so who else could he possibly be talking about?

March 5, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  19. Gary

Please income tax has never been fair.

We tax the hardest working people the most.
    We tax the laziest people the least.
    We tax people when they save and invest.
    If a worker agrees to work some over time they get taxed even more.
    It rewards bad behaviour and punishes good behavior.
    We tax the people then waste the money.

Of course the income tax is not fair. No wonder the country is such a financial mess.

March 5, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  20. Big John

Yes, Fairtax Me!!! I want to pay more taxes on my rent, power bill, phone bill, water bill cable bill, I need my car insurance & my heath insurance taxed. I want to pay even more taxes on ever dollar I spend on gas. I want my doctor to FairTax Me & my Hospital especially if I have surgery. I love the fact that my government will have to pay the fairtax, this means I get to pay even more to the state and city and county, How about it taxiing them Government employees like them police and fireman and Garbage men, They so lucky.

March 5, 2009 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |