March 6th, 2009

Brad Pitt in the House

ALT TEXT

Photo Credit: Getty Images

(CNN) –- Actor and sustainable housing advocate Brad Pitt brought his pitch to the nation’s capital Thursday, meeting with President Obama at the White House and Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Capitol Hill.

Watch: Brad Pitt visits Capitol Hill

After a brief stop by the executive mansion to meet with the president and his climate czar, Pitt met with Pelosi in her Capitol office to share details of his charity housing efforts in New Orleans.

One thing’s for sure: policy conferences on the Hill don’t usually pull out a crowd like this.

A throng of giggling fans, mostly female, gathered to catch a glimpse of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" star as he posed for pictures following their meeting.

Pelosi hailed Pitt’s work for the city of New Orleans as a “model for the nation.”

“It really is an honor to have him here and I know for some of my staff, and for bragging rights for my children and grandchildren, a real treat for me as well,” she said.

Pelosi, posing with Pitt and South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn at the congressional photo-op following their meeting, said the actor had been telling her about how the homes his foundation has built built to a "green standard," with utility bills of less than $10 a month.

"It's possible," said Pitt.

The actor’s foundation, "Make it Right," works to construct sustainable housing for low-income residents in New Orleans who lost their homes in Hurricane Katrina. Launched in 2007, Pitt's project focuses on NOLA's Lower Ninth Ward, a region ravaged by the 2005 hurricane. Pitt shares a home in the French Quarter with his girlfriend, actress Angelina Jolie.

“I just want to say thank you to the Speaker for opening up the doors for us to come in and discuss the rebuilding efforts, the current rebuilding efforts going on in New Orleans, and to how we can expand this idea of affordability and sustainability which we think we have a model that works," Pitt said, amid a flurry of camera flashes.

Pitt’s companion Angelina Jolie was also in Washington Thursday, shooting scenes for her upcoming film, “Salt.”

1. Dayahka

While it is not generally a good thing to suck up to celebrities, this case may be OK since in fact the nation's building codes and housing codes are severely retarded and should be scrapped in favor of a brand new set of rules and requirements. The vast majority of our homes are sub-standard dwellings, built like third-world tin can and cardboard dwellings, with an outward appearance of "beauty" and inward rot. No new development of homes should be allowed to proceed without a thorough review of the plans. We need, for example, to eliminate flush toilets in favor of composting toilets, thus radically changing the sewer and waste management services provided by towns and municipalities; we need to cut down on water use; increase insulation values and designs to lower energy needs; and we need to build to last. Hopefully, when health care and a few other issues have been taken care of, the government will take up building codes.

March 5, 2009 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  2. john

Freakin pathetic!!!!
    Hey brad...how about just donating 10 million OF YOuR DOLLARS to whatever cause u want...instead of trying to force me to pay for your PET PROJECTS!!!
    Hey!!! Go adopt anothe kid and stay out of my life!!

March 5, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  3. Anonymous

During a day when they are voting on a 410B spending bill that creates no jobs, and the market and everyone's 401K evaporates, Obama and Pelosi are hanging out with Brad Pitt....

We are doomed....

March 5, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  4. S Callahan

Enough already...the White House is NOT Hollywood......pityful!

March 5, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. Eva

Oh what a puke. These hollywood elites make me want to throw up with all their "do good self righteous" baloney. But then again, they all fit in perfect together with the new administration, congress and senate.

March 5, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  6. Liz

Pelosi is the biggest phony ever. With all her smiling, it makes me wonder if she's advertising for Denturecream or Poligrip!

March 5, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  7. Shan

As I've said before, I sure do wish some of these folks who get on here and hate, would tell us what /they/ would do in place of those 'idiots' in Washington. Oh wait, I know. You would have never let us get into this mess, right? Mmmhmm. Well, here we are, and it's been Dems and Reps alike on the pathway here. So stop being lame, and TELL US WHAT YOU'D DO TO FIX THINGS. Kthx.

March 5, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  8. Fabie

I don't know about you but i LOVE BRad Pitt. And now Brad going to see my MAIN man made his status DEF go up
    PEACE< LOVE HAPPINESS....AND OBAMA!

March 5, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  9. Really???

Really??? Why can't anyone without any expertise in an area walk right in and talk to the President of the United States?

This is ridiculous and clearly is only a result of Obama's pop star status.

March 5, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  10. YBM

Nothing against Brad Pitt, I like some of his movies. I also aplaude that he and his wife are charitable. But I think the people of New Orleans are taking advantage. At least the ones with their hands still out after almost 4 years.

My question is what have the people that still have their hands out, done for themselves?? It seems to me they are pretty lazy. Expecting the government (or someone like Brad) to take care of them because they are too lazy to take care of themselves. Seems like they are deadbeat bums.

Before you all start jumping on me give a read, my brother lived down in Biloxi and lost everything he owned. He packed up what was left, moved to another state, used 2 WEEKS of FIMA help with a hotel, got another job and moved on with his life. In less than 2 months he was working on getting back on his feet.

There are people still with their hands out after almost 4 years!!! I have trouble feeling sorry for them.

March 5, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  11. Independent

I love all the condescending remarks from dems claiming the moral high ground as all the republicans are "haters" and "have no ideas" etc, etc. That is certainly the pot calling the kettle black. Seems to me all i ever hear from dems is anger, hate, and vitriol. Whether you are in power or not. Now that you are in power you want to silence those who disagree with you while at the same time championing free speech for those who agree with you. Can't have it both ways kids. Just ignore the Republicans like they did to you when they were in power. Save you some energy you can use to go build a sustainable home for someone.

March 5, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  12. Nikki

You guys are jsut pissed. Well get over it. OUr President IS black!

March 5, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  13. Terry, TX

Brad Pitt needs to come to Texas and pick up his New Orleans refugees.

They are in Houston, Austin, Dallas & Lubbock ...come and pick up your welfare, free housing, free food refugees.... that are still here. How many years do we have to keep and support them. We have enough problems with illegal aliens.

March 5, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  14. Other Jean

Reading comments on news sites is so discouraging. Maybe humanity really is doomed. The unthinking cruelty, the ignorant jibes, the destructive and constant carping, the wish to tear down and spew hatred without ever stopping to think. It kills the spirit. I keep coming back thinking, maybe an actual discussion will have started. Maybe people will be exchanging ideas. The generations that worked and fought to give everyone a voice must have expected better.

March 5, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  15. Jen

Pelosi's face says it all. I truly wish we had leaders during this difficult time who do not glorify celebrities and their own egos. Give me someone who puts America's well being first (literally instead of figuratively). Celebrities are no more enlightened than any of us. They are creating the world they want us to live in, except they will never have to live in it with us. Their money and fame lets them live above it. We, the people, need to seriously wake up and demand better.

March 5, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  16. Gerry, Eugene, OR

Brad's got a brain and a soul. It appears that both are in pretty good shape and directed by a person who values other human beings. Good on ya, Brad

March 5, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  17. Lisa

I for one admire and respect Brad's efforts. I was in New Orleans recently and what I saw was worst than I could have imagined. Thanks Brad and for people that care like you do.

March 5, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  18. Obama Lover

OUR PRESIDENT IS BLACK PEOPLE! GET OVER IT!!!

March 5, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. Jan Illinois

Brad Pitt is for sure a fine actor but today you better look at him as a very fine person and American to the bone. He has done a tremendous service for New Orleans when the rest of the United States looks the other way , which is something to be ashamed. He is to be commended for doing something for people in his OWN country. Others make their livings here and do all they can to support other countries, that is good as well , but when the United States is in such need, It should be the Pitt way, Country first.

March 5, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  20. Kim

For all you people that think Hollywood is just showing up, let's me know that you need to come out of the caves you live in and get in touch with the world. Brad, Angelina, Oprah and others are not just now showing cause, they were there in New Orleans right after Katrina hit. Working, pulling they're resources and money together to help those that got no help from your beloved President at the time....shut up and learn how to help those that are less fortunate than yourselves....some people are so selfish and shallow.....

March 5, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  21. Kentucky

I think it is wonderful Brad has been interested in the rebuilding of NO. The ninth ward especially needs rebuilding, as thr residents are poor.

March 5, 2009 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  22. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Brad Pitt for Governor of Louisiana and get rid of Jingal. Jingal is more interested in pleasing the Republicans instead of the people of Louisiana.

March 5, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Texas Proud!

TO: Texas Teacher (March 5th, 2009 7:22 pm ET)

Hmmmmmmmm, you sound just like one of my daughters teachers here in Houston. Of course, most of the teachers in her school seem to be just like you.

My daughter is in 11th grade. Her teacher just loves Obama, everything wrong in the world is due to the Republicans and only the Democrats can fix it. If you happen to be one of those students that agree with a liberal teacher, well, you're bright and will go far. If you don't agree with the liberal teacher, well, just sit down and shut because no one wants to hear from anyway.
    Yep, I just love those liberals because they are warm, non insulting, caring, and just give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

March 5, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  24. Mike Johnson

if all the democrats vote for Obama and all the Repubs vote for their candidate, LOL, as an independent, I voting for Obama and he will win again!!

Unless Rush runs and then I will vote for him. LOL

March 5, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  25. dont drop the soap Rush

I couldnt find an orange jumpsuit big enough for Rush,so I bought him a tent.I cant wait till he goes to prison.

March 5, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |