March 6th, 2009

Congressional Dems have 'heated' meeting over spending bill

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Senate and House Democratic leaders had what two sources describe as an extremely heated meeting Thursday night about the spending bill.

Once Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid figured out he did not have the votes to pass it, he and Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin went to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office to propose passing a five day resolution to keep the government running, and come back to the $410 billion spending bill next week.

The two Democratic sources say Pelosi reacted with “anger,” arguing that Democrats should instead adopt a “scorched earth” strategy and simply fund the government at last year’s levels through the end of the year. Her point, according to the sources, was that even though Republicans have been slamming the bill as wasteful spending, many of them really have an interest in seeing it passed. This would call their bluff.

One of the sources says Reid and Durbin pushed back, saying the bill increases funding for a lot of Democratic priorities slashed by President Bush, and that it was worth another try. At the end of the tense meeting, Senate Democrats prevailed.

This meeting was first reported by the Politico.

Filed under: Congress
  1. Adam Smyth

No more earmarks eh?

8000 Earmarks in the SPENDING BILL!

10 Speeches were he said "No More Earmarks" or "Im gonna go line by line and ban earmarks" and no we are in a scenario were the DOW has lost 3000 points in less the 3 months.

Bush with a Republican Congress it topped out at over 14,000 then 06 elections came and the Dems won the control....and now they control it all and we have lost 8,000 points from the DOW.

8000 points, 8000 earmarks....anyone else detecting a similarity here?

March 6, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  2. Texas Teacher

"From Texas Teacher: Sorry, folks, I didn't mean that. I'm "just saying." And, as usual, I'm spitting up in my mouth — and I really, really like spitting up in my mouth. IT makes me feel IMPORTANT! "

And you are a blooming idiot, though amusing in your ignorance. And yes, you are making me spit up in my mouth... actually, projectile vomiting is more like it! *LOL* Who is this the bozo who can't think of anything original to say, but to steal another person's personae? Not once, but two or three times? Obviously, you are paying close attention to what I am saying. While I... only read that one article's comments... and of course this one since seeing your own name makes one notice it!

Now... let me reiterate! What you have to say about me is none of my business. Why? Because I know who I am and how to be in the world! Your ignorance is YOUR problem! And obviously everything I say hits you ... WAY HOME! I am quite sure that NO ONE mistakes you for me! But if it AMUSES you to pretend to be me.... then I say that the debate is lost! Because that means YOU cannot think of ANYTHING original to say!

Limbaugh, you ole sock! Cut it out... you can cease and desist.... we know who you are!:)

March 6, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  3. userg3533

Pelosi thinks she is the president. Actually her recovery bill is the reason Wall Street has dropped. She is the problem. She should
    step down immediately and go home to California. She is bringing the nation down to a 3rd world country. Miss. Pelosi...go home.

March 6, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  4. THE MEDIA IS THE MASTER

Nimrods..........MEDIA MAKES YOUR TALKING POINTS

March 6, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  5. Larry

Our government leadership is pathetic. FIghting over earmarks like alley cats fight over scraps of meat. If this is the best our country has to offer in DC, we should ask England to take us back as a British colony.

This is oreceisly the time when President Obama should step in and say – send me this spending bill with the earmarks, and it gets vetoed. Then he should ask for a stripped down spending bill absent of all pork and earmarks. Now, Obama should only do this if he was serious about all his campaign rhetoric about change.

Come on Mr President, stand up and lead this country

March 6, 2009 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  6. fredo

Nancy P. is an ignorant and misguided. What a better place this would be without that witch.

March 6, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  7. Observer

And these are the guys 'we' elected? What were we thinking? Who vetted the guys that vetted these guys? No what's new. Just another day in Washington with our elected princes and princesses looking for a camera op.

March 6, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  8. Ben in Dallas

I am always amazed at the low level of the republican comments. Why do we have to attack each other? Has 8 years of Bush lowered the level that much?

March 6, 2009 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  9. Michigan Mike

After reading through the comments, I came across 1 comment that was universal.......and common among all of us......this comment, from "Change", needs to be shared and acted upon......again......and again.....and again. By the way, do you think Lincoln had it easy during his momentous days?

"I think the halls and walls of all government building should be nothing but faces of this recession.
    The Faces of Eviction
    The Faces of the Homeless
    The Faces of people without medical
    The Faces of Americans
    The Faces of us

Make both parties look aIt nothing but our faces. And only removed once they come up with a solution

So if you have a camera.. start shooting and send to congress."

March 6, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  10. BillH

We deserve better. We need to get rid of these career politicians whose entire focus is re-election and self-gratification. In an elected government, you get the kind of government you deserve. The sad spectacle of this Congress, and the last several Congresses, should have taught us the value of electing people who would have the interest of the voters first and not the interests of the lobbyists and political contributors. I don't like Pelosi or Reid, but I gag every time I see Mitch McConnel or John Boehner. Face it: they are all cut from the same bolt of cloth and none of them should have been re-elected. But you know and I know that come the next election we'll see the same faces, the same antics, the same lies, and we'll have the same complaints. Will it every change?

March 6, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  11. Obama runs the White House but....

Pelosi makes the laws and determines spending as she moves us towards socialism and beyond.

March 6, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  12. JOHN

Some times to tackle a grave situation, one needs an Iron Hand.

Nancy Pelosi is doing just right. She is a great leader, and we need her to turn down some illogical and weird people who argue for nothing.

March 6, 2009 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  13. Butch Oaktie, SC

Please Jack in the Box Nancy with the pasted smile and countless facelifts ., Give up and step down.

March 6, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. Texas Teacher

Smarter than a Texas Teacher March 6th, 2009 8:11 pm ET

Texas Teacher,

Seriously are you really a a teacher? Such ignorance in your post and apparently you aren't smart enough to figure out where your CAPS LOCK key is. Thank God you aren't teaching my kids.
    **************************************************************

Whatever I am saying is really getting your goat, Limbaugh... give it up.... the gig is up.... you have gone tooo far in your ignorance!

And now.... I will not give you the time of the day.... and as I said earlier, if copying me is your only way of communicating here, you don't have anything to say..... And no, you are not smarter than a Texas Teacher... you make that clear every time you attack me instead of coming up with something original. Limbaugh is the only stupid bozo that would attack the peron instead of the issues! Pitiful... you are on your own, bozo.... Pffft... :) Oh, I forgot.... barf on you... WOW, NOW I feel important! *LOL*

March 6, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. voter

Joe American

The same republicans you are praising for trying to stop wasteful spending also voted aganist eliminating the pork in the bill. The republicans also increased the defecits under Bush by spending excessively. The republicans are hyporcrites and are chasing their own tails.

March 6, 2009 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  16. Denver Mom

All I can say is "Go Democratic Senators". The key here is that REID does NOT have enough votes!!!! Yay!

March 6, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  17. True American

I'm not claiming that I know al that's going on. I've seen some comments here that make sense and some that don't. However I saw one comment that stood out the most and that was when someone said "get your facts straight". The only "facts" anyone knows is what the media tells us. This recession is partly media driven. Whenever they report something you can bet it's going to effect something else. All I'm going to say about the economy is that this has been coming for a long time and nobody could stop it. The impact probably could have been lessened if any administration would have but they didn't. As far as the comment about wasting money on Iraq we wouldn't be if "daddy" would have finished the job the first time. We can't blame any "one" administration, they have all contributed to this crisis and it's going to take more than Obama to fix it, he's not the messiah most people think he is, he's a man with a lot on his plate and he needs the support of his people and nation befer anything can be accomplished. We cannot let all the men and women that have died for this country to have died in vain, we all need to pull together instead of pointing fingers. We need stronger immigration laws, we need to stop giving so much money to illegal immigrants, we need to change laws regarding just because you have a baby in the U.S. doesn't mean they are automatically a U.S citizen. Look to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and see just whats going on with the moneys paid to Mexicans that come over just long enough to pick up their checks at the P.O. box. I can go on and on but I'm tired and I'm going to bed.

March 6, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  18. Ryan Johnson

To people who truly object to taxation of the rich. They really need to look at other countries and how they truly provide freedom for everyone, even with high taxes.

Just looking at education, if we taxed people who made over 500,000, and funded education in inner cities to the point where it was the best education in the world. You will eventually get your money back with less people going to prison, and less people relying on the wellfare system.

If you dont tax the wealthy, then more people will go to prison, more people will vulch off the system, and you will end up paying more in the future.

Its an investment for the future, there are millions of examples of this working, the trickle down effect never works.

Please, do not be short sighted, look to the future and let the democrats have a shot at doing long term investments.

March 6, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. JB in Wisconsin

President Pelosi is just doing her job. Number 1 and 2 are never in town at the office.

March 6, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  20. pointofview

Pelosi is the reason this county is in the pot

March 6, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  21. Chad

I hope we all look at the actions of congressional leaders like Nancy Pelosi and get them out of office. Even thought I am a Democrat, I think her partisan political style is a significant contributing factor to ineffective government. How did she end up as Speaker of the House?

When I have a disagreement with someone in the workplace, we discuss and try to find common ground for the good of the company so we can move forward – I wish she operated the same way.

March 6, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  22. A woman who admires Pelosi

Pelosi is a fantastic politician that does not back down from her beliefs. More power to her. Thank you -

March 6, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  23. Jeff

Right on, Sue. When do men who are angry get this kind of media treatment? Have we ever read that "he has quite the temper if things don't go his way"?

This is likely a republican-triggered psych-op media attack on Pelosi's public approval poll ratings. Yes, the current repigglium regime would stoop that low. Bush loyalists. They are the shrill echos of the last 8 failed years who have yet to face their own constituents for re-election in the Obama era. And they'll likely be replaced by republicans who want to play ball with Obama. Then maybe we can see some real change. Yes, we all can.

March 6, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  24. tony_n_atl

Im getting sick of all of them....I am currently an Independent from a Democrat because socially, i am with the Democrats but they are spending too much and NEED TO GET RID OF THE PORK in all these bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  25. True American

One more thing, Mitt Romney was the man that needed to be in office but that's neither here nor there it's just my opinion.

March 6, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |