March 7th, 2009

Barbara Bush moves out of ICU

Former first lady Barbara Bush was moved from ICU Saturday after undergoing heart surgery.

(CNN) - Former first lady Barbara Bush was moved Saturday out of intensive care after undergoing heart surgery earlier this week, the former president's spokeswoman said.

Jean Becker, a spokeswoman for former President George H.W. Bush, said the former first lady would be in the hospital for about another week.

Doctors at Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center in Houston, Texas, performed a 2 1/2-hour surgery on Barbara Bush on Wednesday, and replaced her aortic valve with a pig valve.

"From our perspective, this was a very routine procedure, and we expect her to make an excellent recovery," Dr. Gerald Lawrie told reporters on Thursday.

Bush had experienced "severe narrowing of the main valve that lets the blood come out of the heart into the circulation," Lawrie said.

He said an echocardiogram showed her condition was "extremely severe." Typical symptoms of problems with an aortic valve include shortness of breath,
fatigue, weakness and swelling, he said.

Though his patient is 83, "she's a very fit lady," which helped make the operation a "relatively straightforward" procedure," he said.

Barbara Bush had been diagnosed with the problem less than a week before the surgery. Becker said the former president was visiting his wife Saturday at
the hospital.

Barbara Bush has forbidden her children, which include former President George W. Bush and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, from visiting until she leaves
the hospital, Becker said.

George H.W. Bush visited her shortly after the operation, saying "I've been a nervous wreck about it."

The former politician said he had received telephone calls of support from President Barack Obama and from surviving former presidents.

Asked to describe what occurred between the two when he saw her, he said, "I don't remember any words. I'm not the anecdotal one in the family. It was
just a reunion of two people who love each other."

Afterward, the former president turned to a hospital administrator and said, "I'm sorry I get emotional, but I can't help it."

Filed under: Barbara Bush • Popular Posts
  1. Kyle

Get well soon Mrs Bush... I await the the nasty comments that will come soon enough.

March 7, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. Ed Word

I'm just elated that she wasn't in there having another kid.

March 7, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  3. andrew

who cares. she gave birth to a retard who ruined the country. she should be held accountable. her son is the reson why abortion should not only be legal but retroactive

March 7, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. Pat F

I have never understood her appeal. She looks like a loving grandmotherly type, but she's a cold-hearted patrician who has never done a day's work in her life, and thinks work is for the little people. Not a nice person.

March 7, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  5. elana

Another one of our former beautiful, eloquent and gracious First Ladies! Keep that sense of humor, Barbara! And I wish for you the very best in your recovery! God Bless You!

March 7, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  6. Karrie

To the usual grumblers, as a government employee, I have the same health insurance tthrough the government that Mrs. Bush has. I PAY for it. It's not free and you have co-payments and deductibles just like everybody else. I have friends who don't pay a dime; their employers pick up the whole tab. Those are the companies who probably are hurting. And btw, I filed bankruptcy years ago due to medical bills because of a son disabled since birth, even with the insurance through the government.

Anyone can have health insurance. All you have to do is pay the premiums.

March 7, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. hope you are doing well

I think you and your husband did a good job, I hope you are feeling well

I think your son ruined this nation however

but all the same, god bless and speedy recovery

March 7, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. Vic

I and my family gladly add our names to the list of those who are wishing Barbara Bush a speedy and healthful recovery. If we could send her a direct message, it would be to thank her for sharing with us her beauty, love of family and country, her devotion to promoting books for the greater good, and especially her "gutsiness." We hope she is soon well enough to return home to her husband and extended family.

March 7, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  9. Independant Thinker

To:

gary, gpp Had It K Roberts Andy lou

YOU people are SICK.

God bless and get well soon former First Lady Mrs. Bush

March 7, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  10. Proud American

I heard they were going to move her to the Houston Astrodome. I also heard that someone said it would be a step up for her.. My God Bless that entire Idiot family.

March 7, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. big papa

Nationalize healthcare...

...institute means testing...

March 7, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. Get Over It

The haters on here,are truly sick and disgusting people.Mrs.Bush,you`re in our prayers during this difficult time for you and your family

March 7, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  13. Get Well Soon GOP

Hey, lets call it the Barbara Bush Memorial Healthcare Program. We can name it after her or Kennedy, who ever dies first.

March 7, 2009 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  14. Russ

We love you Mrs. Bush and wish you a speedy recovery!

March 7, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. Darren D.

Grandmom, "God's love and blessing".

March 7, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. kaw

Good lord, some of you people are pathetic. Can't you drop your political diatribes for just a moment and act HUMAN!

The stress of any individual confronting a health crisis and the worry of their families who fear they will lose a loved one is universal.

How can it be that those of you who are so quick to call republicans heartless can turn on a dime and act the exact same way? Hypocrisy is ugly no matter which side of the political aisle you sit on.

March 7, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  17. Independent

Happy to hear that she will be moved out of ICU soon....

My father had this surgery 36 yrs ago....his monthly cost for medication after the surgery was over $200.00, that was a lot of money than, just think what it probably is now....My Dad had a pace maker put in also, but only survived 18 months after...

I suffer from asthma, my inhaler has gone from $60 to $128 in the last 9 yrs...I don't have insurance...or a drug card...2008 it was $118, now it went up another $10....I guess I'm paying for one of those CEO's bonuses.....

March 7, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  18. Obama 2.0

Get well soon dear lady :)

March 7, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  19. Simmy

Bless your heart.

March 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. SueEllen

I didn't know she had a heart.

March 7, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  21. sensible Cape Coral FL

I'm glad that Mrs. Bush is doing well but I'm sorry we all don't have the same level of health care that she does. Is it our tax money that pays for her care?

March 7, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. Beth

Andrew, you are a disgusting, miserable person.

The ENTIRE Bush family is in our prayers. Regardless of how you feel about GW, this is his mother we are talking about. Here's hope for a great recovery.

March 7, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. Independent

When Americans feel the need to attack the First Ladies, rather it's Michelle, Barbara, Hillary or Laura it is a SAD DAY!!!!!!!!!

March 7, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  24. Craig - Hastings, MN

Can some of you idiots put aside politics long enough to wish a fellow human being good luck and a speedy recovery. Guess not. Some of you people just make me want to vomit. God Bless and Get Well soon Barbara.

March 7, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  25. connie

Now i just heard Oprah say yesterday on her show that the economy had just started to go bad the last 18 months-now isn't that when the democrats took control of house and senate, but we must blame it on Bush. Speedy recovery Mrs Bush.

March 7, 2009 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |