March 7th, 2009

Barbara Bush moves out of ICU

Former first lady Barbara Bush was moved from ICU Saturday after undergoing heart surgery.

(CNN) - Former first lady Barbara Bush was moved Saturday out of intensive care after undergoing heart surgery earlier this week, the former president's spokeswoman said.

Jean Becker, a spokeswoman for former President George H.W. Bush, said the former first lady would be in the hospital for about another week.

Doctors at Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center in Houston, Texas, performed a 2 1/2-hour surgery on Barbara Bush on Wednesday, and replaced her aortic valve with a pig valve.

"From our perspective, this was a very routine procedure, and we expect her to make an excellent recovery," Dr. Gerald Lawrie told reporters on Thursday.

Bush had experienced "severe narrowing of the main valve that lets the blood come out of the heart into the circulation," Lawrie said.

He said an echocardiogram showed her condition was "extremely severe." Typical symptoms of problems with an aortic valve include shortness of breath,
fatigue, weakness and swelling, he said.

Though his patient is 83, "she's a very fit lady," which helped make the operation a "relatively straightforward" procedure," he said.

Barbara Bush had been diagnosed with the problem less than a week before the surgery. Becker said the former president was visiting his wife Saturday at
the hospital.

Barbara Bush has forbidden her children, which include former President George W. Bush and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, from visiting until she leaves
the hospital, Becker said.

George H.W. Bush visited her shortly after the operation, saying "I've been a nervous wreck about it."

The former politician said he had received telephone calls of support from President Barack Obama and from surviving former presidents.

Asked to describe what occurred between the two when he saw her, he said, "I don't remember any words. I'm not the anecdotal one in the family. It was
just a reunion of two people who love each other."

Afterward, the former president turned to a hospital administrator and said, "I'm sorry I get emotional, but I can't help it."

Filed under: Barbara Bush • Popular Posts
  1. Julianna

I am so grateful that our dear Barbara Bush will continue to share her warmth and love through her everlasting - big - heart with us, the Americans...

March 7, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. MaryLou Shenk

My prayers are with you, and you are a brave woman.

I was diagnosed with same condition, but have not had any physical symptoms such as fainting and retaining fluid as of yet. You have given me food for thought.

God Bless.

March 7, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. jully

I wish her a very speedy recovery. It's a brave and great woman.

March 7, 2009 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  4. Alfreda

I am happy to read that she is doing better. I will continue to pray for her and her family. Lord please watch over President Bush Sr. as he waits for his wife to be home were she belongs.

March 7, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. James

I believe her son "FORMER PRESIDENT" gave her a heart problem like he gave to so many American's and all kind of people all around the world WITH HIS CRIMINAL ACTIONS and I hope that GOD will forgive him and all of his former his administration specially Mr. DICK....CHENEY.

March 7, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Geri

I am so ashamed of the nasty blogs here. We are all Americans and if you don't like her then don't blog. She deserves respect just like anyone else does regardless of what her last name is and what her son did. I'm a democrat but am getting very tired of all the crap that goes on in all the blogs. CNN should have a little decency and not print thenasty ones while she is sick or recovering. We don't need any more of the Obama's either. We need the hard news as to how we are going to get out of this mess the country is in. CNN...you're a news station not a "rag paper". Clean it up.

March 7, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. jeff from jersey

Little too late???

Good name.Remember that it was Barbara that said after hurricane Katrina and so many suddenly homeless people were evacuated to Texas "They aren't going to stay here are they?"!
    Just as George W said "Nobody told me it could be that bad." while we all watched the conference call when they were telling him exactly that.

Apples don't fall far from the tree,especially the bad ones.I guess you landed to hard.

Nobody wishes her harm,including Andy.

March 7, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  8. ken

First of all this isn't really political news and second of all, some of these comments are disgusting. She's having surgery on her heart people, show some respect. When Rush says those things about Ted Kennedy, you talk about what a loser he is. Here you guys are making some pretty disrespectful comments about someone who isn't a policy maker. She's a wife.

March 7, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. go away mongers -Ventura CA

Good news!

March 7, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. lynn in NM

Good luck. God bless, Barbara.

March 7, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. sick n tired of being a victim of cowardly CNN moderators

Get well soon Mrs Bush. God bless.

March 7, 2009 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  12. mjm

Good to hear she is doing well.

Everyone should attempt to get their own medical insurance before we start asking the government to pay for it. Most people never actually look on line.

There are plans out there for everyone from $80-200-400 per month depending on what you want. Look into it. It's cheaper than auto insurance.

I don't see why we have to turn everything over to the government.

March 7, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  13. Don in Albuquerque

Who cares? So much for reporting on real news. Got anything on Paris Hilton?

March 7, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  14. Political Queen

Although I am not a fan of the Bushs' dictatorship, I wish Barbra well. Thank God she had health care, and she wasn't STUCK in an unsafe enviornment, no, she was better off where she was.

March 7, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Political Queen

Andy...you are my brother from a different mother...I didn't see your comment til' after I posted, if no one told you today...YOU ARE SPECIAL! lol!

March 7, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. Val

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

March 7, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. Drea

Her husband cries like a baby!!!!!!

March 7, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  18. Drea

Probably because she is still around!! If it was the other way around she would feel the same way!!!

March 7, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  19. Niki Birdsflight

True about her extended stay in the hospital. It would be interesting to see if they pay the expenses over the Medicare coverage. I am sure she has good insurance and actually money is not an issue in her case. They are rich from the oil and investment deals. Likely not affected by the economic disaster their son had a part in. O well.

March 7, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  20. H.HUGHES

andrew your the retard and then some.

March 7, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  21. MT

Our prayers are with you Barbara. God Bless you.
    You should be proud of your family for serving this country as they have. Good luck and God bless for a very long time.

March 7, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  22. dominic tongko

get well soon mrs. b. bush

March 7, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. catmom

It is so sad that people on both sides have become so jaded and negative. Why is it necessary to make such mean spirited comments about the former first lady, Ted Kennedy, President and Mrs. Obama. Keep your negativity to yourself it only brings you down.

March 7, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. dominic tongko

get well soon . mrs. b. bush

March 7, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. welches, oregon

It must be nice to have such great health insurance – All American deserve the same insurance.

And isn't this the same 'person' who said the Katrina Hurricane victims have it quite nice in the Astrodome because afterall, they were underprivledged anyway. She's a piece of dirt, just like her sons

March 7, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |