March 7th, 2009

Kurtz: Chung shocked by Condit's stonewalling

Stonewalling is what gets politicians in trouble, when they ... try to cover up,

(CNN) - Nearly eight years later, Connie Chung still remembers being surprised.

It was one of those television moments that linger in the national consciousness, like Barbara Walters sitting down with Monica Lewinsky, Dan Rather with Saddam Hussein, or Jay Leno asking Hugh Grant what the hell he had been thinking.

Chung was with ABC then, and she got the "get" - the first interview with Gary Condit, the California congressman at the center of the Chandra Levy media frenzy.

The former Washington intern, you'll recall, had been found murdered in Rock Creek Park, and law enforcement sources let it be known that the married Condit had been having an affair with her.

In an interview airing Sunday on "Reliable Sources" (10 a.m. ET, during CNN's "State of the Union with John King"), Chung says she was surprised when Condit refused to acknowledge the romantic relationship.

"Stonewalling is what gets politicians in trouble, when they stonewall or they try to cover up," she says.

"I think that the general public and the news media wanted him to be honest, and if he could be honest about that part of the story, then he could be - then he would be believed when he was answering other questions as to whether or not he had anything to do with her disappearance."

Full Story

Filed under: State of the Union
  1. Matthew, Detroit

Good Job Connie Jung. It proves you were an idiot then and an idiot

now. You burst into a mans private life and blew it to pieces for your

story. You were wrong. The police were wrong.

The guy did not do it and you destroyed his life.

Good Job Connie Chung.

March 7, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. Get Well Soon GOP

Chung is still alive? Anyway, how could she think he would tell the truth about something like this? He was married. Does she not watch the Morry P show?

March 7, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. gary, gpp

Connie Chung = milf

March 7, 2009 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Stonewalling or just out and out plain lying. Some people wouldn't know how to tell the truth if it hit them in the face and there is a lot of that going around.

March 7, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Scott, Tucson

Connie Chung! Is she still around?

March 7, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  6. Simmy

I'm happy that the killer has been found. I hope and pray that the parents of this precious lady have solace in knowing what happened to their child. Her life is validated, and was not in vain. The "why" is haunting and lingering.

March 7, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  7. sick n tired of being a victim of cowardly CNN moderators

I suspect she was killed because of the affair to keep her quiet! I wouldn't put it past any of those shifty Washington types! Theres a lot of things our government officials do secretly that would make you're jaw hit the floor! Money=Power=Privledge! Its the American way!!!!!!!!!

March 7, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. lovable liberal

Like Connie Chung is an authority on anything.

But, we gotta find a way that it's Gary Condit's fault that the media fed on him the way they did.

March 7, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. Niki Birdsflight

I still think Condit had something to do with Chandra's murder. This guy who is in jail for other charges bragged about killing her. Well many of these deranged guys act that way and lie about crimes they know nothing about . After all these years, what does the police know or have that could really pin that guy? it will be interesting to find out. Could he be a scape goat? What does he have to lose by lying?

March 7, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  10. Niki Birdsflight

Another thing....if the freak in jail did it, was it a hit? Did he get paid for it? That is worth going into.

March 7, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  11. Niki Birdsflight

Me again.....Ms. Columbo here. The timing was too strange. It was Chandra's last night in DC and she had these big news about her mystery lover......Come on. How many girls get silenced when the roof is about to cave? Condit would have had somebody do the deed for him through avenues and connections that would leave him totally out of the investigation. He is no dummy.

March 7, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. Voter

Why don't you just drop this subject entirely? It is of no interest to anyone other than Chung, who sees an opportunity to get her face in front of a camera.

All this kind of thing detracts from the genuine, and frequently overwhelming problems. Spitzer, Kennedy, Gingrich (remember Henry Hyde and Mr. Livingston – products of the Clinton nonsense?) It really is so parochial, so not news. It does demonstrate what self serving moralistic idiots most Americans are, of course.

Hey, did you notice, we're heading into a DEPRESSION!

March 7, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. amused but happy in Vegas

Condit was not guilty of anything, other than a concensual affair with an adult.

The media crucified him.

That is not what I think the media should be for.

March 7, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. Mike in VA

Who is Connie Chung? ...and why should we care?

March 7, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  15. amused but happy in Vegas

The media crucified him.

That is not what I think the media should be for.

Maybe Connie Chung's husband made her do it.

March 7, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. Chuck

It is found eight years later that it was an illegal immigrant that killed Chandra Levy and CNN pulls out a story about how Condit stonewalled Connie Chung in some interview. This is your inside scoop? Not the fact that the illegal immigration policy in our country takes another innocent life? For shame.

March 7, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  17. Franky

Love...what we won't do for love, LOL!! Is as old as the Garden of Eden, as a matter of fact, it is said that attachment has always been in the Garden but eating the forbidden fruit?? That's when love kicks in...at least that's my crazy theory that I'm working, LOL!! Speaking of love, maybe I should write to my love and nope not Amy, maybe is about time...internet style! But anyway...

I got a quick question if you don't mind...is there such a thing as good journalism?? I mean, I will admit, I don't read it, my friends don't but some do...well, only when we wanna know the numbers, LOL!! We buy like over 20 of them, I know, how ashame. But anyway, I don't know, in my opinion, I think everything gets tweaked. For example, you can have an interview, good or bad and it can be interpreted. We know that each person has their own style or approach, but in the end, is about getting information. Good or bad, it depends. While I do admit journalism is not as bad as some people think, it can do you good. Is good, I noticed that. I may look like that I may enjoy Journalism in my future but in reality, let's just say if I can barely stand the media(conservative or liberal or Hulk), I wonder how long I can last?? And personally, I like to give people their privacy...even though it looks like I'm everywhere, LOL!! Cool...

But I do agree, Journalism is good and it has changed, is just depends on your own matter.

March 7, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  18. Vic

If a man is having an affair with a woman who gets murdered, that man's life ceases to be private. And so it was with Gary Condit. Connie Chung was doing her job, and doing it well. I remember when a gossip columnist in Houston used to sign off his weekly show with, "If you don't want it to get in the paper, then don't do it."
    Touche'!

March 7, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  19. Millie McGuire

It's just not reasonable to expect someone who is suspected of involvement in a crime to tell all on TV.

March 7, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  20. Willy Brown

Why don't you interview people on your husband's soft pron talk show.

March 7, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. No surprise

A politician – any politician in fact – will never give you a straight honest answer. Why shoud they. They are the best politicians money can buy

March 7, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  22. Bayousara

My question to all joggers, especially women, "What the H are you thinking" running through a remote area of a park?

Folks, this is not the time to "trust in humanity."

It is NOT RARE to be attacked at a trailhead somewhere, or on the trail, or by your car on the trail, if you are hiking, running, camping.

Even if you are with other people. Two people can both be victims at the same time.

I live very close to an Oregon beach and I always have my taser with me, unholstered, easily accessed, obvious to anyone, and I will use it.

If you want to carry another type of weapon, get it and learn how to use it. Of course follow your local laws. But take care of yourselves. No one else is going to protect you in those circumstances.

Unfortunately, girls and women are getting slaughtered in public places more than ever. I personally know three who have died at the hands of someone in a public place.

March 7, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  23. athy

Politics should stay out of the bedroom. I truely believe that any activitity outside of what the marriage defines is the business of the two people in that marriage. Meaning what ever the two people decide is proper is their business. The government deciding is just horrible. I'm not saying this was an "open" marriage, but it should be the two people in that marriage should decide how this should be handled. Thanks to the irresponsible media, and the gossip hungry people hanging around, this is what we have.

March 7, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |