March 8th, 2009

President names three new Treasury officials

(CNN) - Following weeks of congressional grumbling over the slow pace of staffing at the Treasury Department, the White House announced three new senior department officials Sunday.

President Obama has tapped three counselors to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner to serve as assistant secretaries: lawyer David Cohen to address terrorist financing, Princeton Univerity professor and labor economist Alan Krueger for economic policy, and former Barclays Capital and Lehman Brother executive Kim Wallace for legislative affairs.

"With the leadership of these accomplished individuals and our whole economic team, I am absolutely confident that we will turn around this economy and seize this opportunity to secure a more prosperous future," the president said in a statement.

Filed under: Obama administration
  1. Glennis

I'm not an Obama "hater";' I just expect something better than the clueless, self-centered, floundering bunch we've got in there now. We have a major economic crisis and they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off, pushing an economy busting liberal bag of goodies that will finally finish off business and industry in this country while expanding a worthless, intrusive, bloated sorry excuse for a government of, for, and by the people.

March 8, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  2. I want my vote back !

If I don't pay my taxes, can I have a high paying government job too?

March 8, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  3. linda

to Shayne in NH....why couldn't you put yourself in Bush's place when tough decisions had to be made? Do you think you had all the facts then? I think not.

Those of us who do not agree with Obama are patriots supporting the constitution, have a very good understanding of economics and can read between the lines of his eloquent speeches. This country would be better off if all those who ask what the government will do for them went to Canada, Sweden, Britain or Germany. Better yet, see how people in the 3rd world countries live. You may appreciate then what is being destroyed.

March 8, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. JK Ashburn, VA

@ Shane in NH. We're not Obama-haters. We're America lovers. And, the crap that Obama and Pelosi are pulling are going to destroy this country. Bush screwed up plenty - actually, he was a disaster. But, what the socialists are doing now will turn the US into Europe. This is not a personal attack on Obama and Pelosi and their disciples. It's against the personal and financial attacks they are making on us hard working actual taxpayers.

@ Liliarose: We have plenty of ideas as alternatives to what these people are doing. But, we lost the election to the populist campaign promises to Kool-Aid drinkers. Mark my words, you too will regret what is happening to this country under the Pelosi/Obama administration.

March 8, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  5. chubby

I hope they checked to ensure they had paid their taxes.

March 8, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. shannon

have they paid their taxes, or are they above the law too.

March 8, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. shannon

Shayne in NH, lets here your ideas. I just want Obama to keep the promises he made, and he hasn't been doing that. As for your comment that the retarded are ruining this country, I say what kind of person are you. I have a retarded brother, believe me, he isn't ruining the country, it's people like you who mock and ridicule the retarded who make this world an uglier harder place to live. Have you always been a bully, or is this a new thing. The only idiot I see here is you

March 8, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  8. Jatovi, NC

From all those who have complained, who would you name? It's easy to throw stones but it's hard to create a solution, so which one are you going to choose?

March 8, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  9. cnnnewser

I'm optimistic about our future...
    we have a new president with good ideas – only problem is the republican party, the news media, and the naysayers that want him to fail.
    I refuse to listen to all the negative pundits...also to the news stories that are full of innuendo and falsehoods.

March 8, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. ranjit

Shayne, as requested by you, I will put myself in his shoes. Then, I would do the following

1) Replace Tim Geithner with someone who is qualifed for the job.
    2) Stop hiring lobbyists for any nomination.
    3) Make sure all my nominess paid their tax. I will not come back and say, it was a honest mistake.
    4) I will reduce the captial gain tax from 15% to 5% and stop the bleeding in the stock market.
    5) Give more incentives to small business then punishing peope for making more than 250,000
    6) I will stop introducing new agenda(health care, stem cell) every week. Photo op is important but I will not over do it.
    7) I will not stroke fear in the people. I will try to give them confidence
    8) I will not send 900 million to Gaza.

I am proud republican and I am confident that, we will come back in the coming elections starting witht the special election on March 31st.

March 8, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  11. J. Dean

CNN IS ACTING SIMILAR TO COMMUNIST ERA TIME CENSORSHIP. WE HAVE REALIZED THAT SEVERAL OPENIONS EXPRESSED BY READERS, LIKE US, ARE DELETED FROM THE COMMENT SECTION.
    ANY REASONS, CNN ?????????????????????????????????????

March 8, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. johnrj08

The comments about some democrats "cheating on their taxes" are just more partisan crud. Many people file incomplete tax returns, especially those who have complicated returns that require many forms which have to be provided by other parties. One missed form can significantly alter a return. The idea that these people are intentionally trying to avoid paying taxes is a conclusion being drawn by people who have no clue what actually happened. The government gets duplicate copies of 1099s, 1098s, K-1s and various other income statements. If the government fails to get copies of a form, there's a great likelihood that the filer will avoid paying some taxes through no fault of his own. I'm not saying that's what occurred in Geithner's or Daschle's case, but it's one of numerous possibilities. All these comments which are attacking their integrity are just more sour grapes and partisan attacks from the people who supported the wrong candidate in the last election.

March 8, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  13. John G

Did any of them pay their taxes?

March 8, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  14. floridakaye

And let's watch carefully to see if these people are carefully and expediently moved through the congressional process. Two of the highest ranking Treasury nominees, Goolsbee and Rouch are being held up by Republicans for nothing more than political retaliation...

The republicans fiddle while America burns to the ground...

March 8, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  15. Willy Brown

Have they paid their back taxes yet?

March 8, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. Shayne in NH

Must have hit a sore spot somewhere. You usually only get a response when you hit someone in the face with the truth.....

As for ranjit......I do like your ideas for what it's worth. 900 million to Gaza is a joke given OUR current state of economy.

And for the retarded comment I apologize if I offended. Retarded as in SLOW, as you are "shannon." Not MENTALLY retarded. Sorry if I have confused you, amongst other things.

CNN, plese don't censor this one, this is getting too good. We are on to something here. A true debate perhaps. Let the ideas roll forth, as ranjit has begun.

March 8, 2009 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. fix the problem

good, now get to work

March 8, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. S Callahan

Sounds like the devil is in the details now...

March 8, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. The Last Patriot

Shayne I'm basically with Ranjit. Is it so hard to come up with a coherant pro-USA national policy and just stick to it? As president:

– Severely curtail government spending. You have the veto power, just use it!
    – Veto any bill that contains earmarks. You promised to do it, just do it! It is not complicated.
    – Short term – reduce capital gains tax.
    – Long term – Favor the private sector – this is where jobs, wealth, and prosperity come from.
    – Public sector – reduce it to just the basics – keep the country protected, keep the roads paved, keep the laws and courts operating. No mouse studies for Pelosi!
    – Speak positively about the USA, it's citizens (all of them) and its prospects for the future. If you don't believe in the USA, you shouldn't be president.
    – Do not hold lavish parties in troubled economic times. Show the people you care, and you will sacrifice also. Take the example of the congressman sleeping on a cot in his office.

March 8, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. Michigan Jim

Treasury is hiring someone to address "terrorist financing"? Bravo! It's been far too difficult in the past for terrorists to get loans. Anything and everything to stimulate the economy!

March 8, 2009 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  21. LEN

John King, why don't you be a spokesman for the Republicans
    instead of Limbaugh because it seems you are certainly trying.
    All of the problems we are seeing now is the Republican's mess,
    And until it gets cleaned up it will always be the Republican's
    failed policies. President Obama wll succeed no matter how
    hard you try to make him fail. CNN – John King – why are you
    fighting President Obama? All of AMERICA can see where CNN
    stands. – Give "OUR PRESIDENT" a break – let him do his JOB.

March 8, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. PatC

I thought that the Economy was priority? Come to find out Obama can book 100 dollar steak nights with Earth Wind and Fire and Stevie Wonder but not name critical for the Economy Treasury Department positions. This is change we can believe in.

March 8, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  23. virginia nielsen

For the people up there talking about don't paying taxes you better go check if our ex vice president candidate has paid already the $17,000.00 that she owened to the IRS. Can you imagine a vice president owening money to the IRS !!! Wake up people , we just got rid of a dictator and his gang !!!

March 8, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  24. Nancy's Astrologer

Hey GOP, the 1950's called and they want their ideas back.

Also,news flash: Ronald Reagan is dead ......so can we please stop trying to exhume him and move on?

March 8, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. Nancy's Astrologer

Wow...John King wants Obama to fail.
    Maybe next he will be dating Ann Coulter?

King/Limbaugh 2012