March 9th, 2009

Clinton on life, love, and foreign policy

Hillary Clinton appeared on the Turkish television program 'Haydi Gel Bizimile Ol.'

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton gets personal on life, love, and foreign policy – in Turkey. Appearing Saturday on a Turkish talk show similar to "The View," the Secretary of State turned on her global charm offensive.

During her interview in Ankara, an audience member questioned the Secretary of State about the first time she fell in love. "It was so long ago, with my husband," she told the audience composed of mostly young people. "We've been enjoying our life together ever since."

Clinton weighed in on life outside politics, saying the best moments are those where she can simply be herself.

"My favorite times are when my husband and my daughter and I are together. We go to the movies, we talk and play games together – card games and board games. We go for long walks," she said. "It's not easy, but I work really hard to find those quiet times when the spotlights aren't on and when you can just be yourself and be with people that you enjoy and love. Those are the best times in life."

Even while on an overseas, Clinton wasn't spared a question about her marital challenges. When asked about her swearing-in speech and how she thanked her husband for a "lifetime of all kinds of experiences," Clinton said she overcame some of the more bitter incidents with "love - and forgiveness."

"Family, faith, friends, are the core of my life and I don't know anybody whose life is smooth sailing," Clinton said.

And as in most female-hosted talk shows, the women talked fashion. "I think Michelle Obama looks fabulous," Clinton said, but admitted she never had a talent for style. "I tell my daughter the fashion gene skipped a generation."

But the hosts and audience members didn't just lob softballs to the U.S. diplomat. Hailing Turkey as an "extraordinary model for the world," Clinton said it's a country whose experience shows, "Democracy and modernity and Islam can all co-exist."

Clinton also responded to questions regarding universal human rights and values. "We have to join together as an international community to further a common humanity."

"We can enjoy our differences, but we can't see each other as aliens anymore."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. annie - Palin 2012

Hillary knows nothing about standing up for herself as she let the dnc run all over her and select bo as the candidate.

March 9, 2009 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. Ben in Dallas

Hilary Clinton may turn out to be a brilliant Sec. of State.

March 9, 2009 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  3. ck

Does she really think anyone buys her "Love for Bill" BS!!!

What an idiot, losing more credibility every time she opens her fat mouth!

March 9, 2009 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  4. S Callahan

Gosh, that must have been an uncomfortable topic for Hillary.....sad that people still question her this way. If truth be told...oh never mind.

March 9, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  5. Perusing-through

D@mn, she is good! She is very, very good!

March 9, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  6. JOSE IN NORTHRIDGE

actullay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my,,,,,,,,,,,,narcissitic,,,,,,,,,,husband,,,,,,,,,,,was,,,,,,,,,termed,,,

out,,,,,,,,,,,of,,,,,,,,,,,,office,,,,,,,,,,so,,,,,,,,,,we,,,,,,,,,,,thought,,,,,,,,,,I,,,,,,,,should,,,,

get,,,,,,,,,,in,,,,,,,,,,and,,,,,,,,,,here,,,,,,,,,,,I,,,,,,,,,,am,,,,,,,,,way,,,,,,,,,,,,over,,,,,,,,,,

my,,,,,,,,,,head

March 9, 2009 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  7. Karen

I recommend the Vanity Fair article "The Comeback Id" to anyone believing that Bill Clinton is staying home playing bridge with Hillary.

March 9, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  8. Micheal

Who cares about Hillary. She was given a job to make her look better with time. Remember when she could even bow out graciously or commend Obama of a win. This woman will die not knowing what is best for her. I am sorry!

March 9, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. Willy Brown

Clinton is a phony that the media continues to fon all over.

March 9, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  10. Happy Camper

The "core" of her life in public office should be following the Constitution.

March 9, 2009 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  11. Ah

As the top diplomat representing USA, she shows to the leaders of the muslim countries that women can charm with intellect and leadership. In my view, these muslim countries willl be more fair and productive if women are more involved in the society and governments.

March 9, 2009 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  12. phillfoss

Why is it everyone want to continue to talk about the former presidents affair? Mrs. Clinton found a place in her heart for forgiveness what the rest of the world problem? Oh I forget most of you sit at the right hand of God.

March 9, 2009 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  13. human being

can we stop talking about Bill we know that he is a womanizer but he was also a pretty good president. Let it go media!

March 9, 2009 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  14. wanda from Toronto

She is the best. Isn't she? She's the smartest woman ever and so much fun and very genuine. Brilliant in every way.

America, you miss out by not electing Hillary as the President. She would have been the greatest President ever

Thats OK though because she and Bill and Chelsea will change the world forever. Wait and see!!!

March 9, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  15. It's my party and I can cry if I want to

Go Hillary....we love you....no matter what naysayers say

March 9, 2009 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  16. Wake Up America

Go Hillary....we love you.

March 9, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  17. Sue

This woman is class personified. I am proud of her.

March 9, 2009 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. ObamaKennedy

Hillary needs to go away. We all know she is still trying to run for President. Just give up women. Your kind are unfit to lead. Just fulfill your god-given duty by staying in the kitchen. After Palin gets stoned down in 2012, we'll all be eager to watch you get burned again in 2016.

March 9, 2009 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  19. Randy

No doubt Rush and his Republican cronies will trash Mrs. Clinton's sentiments as communist–or at least socialist–sympathizing. LOL!

March 9, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  20. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

Too bad it was not in Iran.

March 9, 2009 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  21. Larry

HI-Ladies !!!

March 9, 2009 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  22. Sherri

She should be our President. No I'm still not over it. She is an awesome Sec of State though..

March 10, 2009 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  23. my

Hillary is true lady. Great person.

March 10, 2009 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  24. rachel

Go hillary. You are doing a great job. Now here all the haters come.

March 10, 2009 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  25. Arjy, MN

Good job mrs. secretary. I adore your elocutionary.

March 10, 2009 01:29 am at 1:29 am |