March 13th, 2009

Congressman recovering from heart scare

Rep. Pete Olson was outfitted with a pacemaker at a Washington hospital after fainting while working out at the House gym.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Rep. Pete Olson was “rushed” from Capitol Hill to the hospital Thursday, and doctors “equipped” him with a “dual chamber pacemaker,” the Texas Republican wrote in an e-mail to political supporters.

“While working out in the House gym, I got quite dizzy and fainted,” Olson said in the note sent Friday by his campaign committee. “After being rushed to George Washington University Hospital, it was determined that I had a condition called bradycardia, which is medical talk for a slow heart beat. Whatever they call it, it wasn't good and I don't recommend it.”

Olson added, “The docs have now equipped me with a dual chamber pacemaker to ensure my ticker doesn't pull such a stunt again. I feel fine and was ready to get back to work yesterday afternoon, but cooler heads have instructed I rest a little more.”

A cardiologist at George Washington University Hospital said that the “procedure went smoothly with no complications.”

“This is a common, often asymptomatic, condition and we expect the Congressman to resume his active lifestyle,” said Allen Solomon, cardiologist at the George Washington University Hospital and professor of Medicine.

The congressman is expected to return to work next week, the hospital said in the statement.

Filed under: Congress • Popular Posts
  1. as a pinko leftist wacko liberal

I hope you recover and feel better soon

March 13, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. Mark

Five will get you ten that he vehemently opposes universal healthcare. Take a survey of those who are opposed to it and I bet you will find that nearly all of those are covered with insurance. You can bet that his insurance is GOLD PLATED.

March 13, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  3. tornado1972

No matter what party get better Sir life is to to short!

March 13, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. GOP Victim

I am not a Rebuplican but it is a shame for anyone to hope someone dies. My Dad has a pacemaker and it keeps his heart working in rythe. I hope anyoe to have a speedy recovery even if I do not agree with him politically.

March 13, 2009 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. TA

Why is it that a Republican opponent of national health care for the rest of us get to live off our tax dollars to get an extra ticker what constitutes that nano-sized heart? If I have to get my own health care coverage, let him get his own. After all, it's all about making government operate like a business, decreasing federal spending, and balanced budgets. We should start by banishing all government health care for any member of Congress. Let ole Pete go out to the private sector with his preexisting condition and find his own pace maker.

March 13, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Kevin in Ohio

More hate and vitriol from left wing loons.

March 13, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

Why is my comment awaiting moderation? I wished the guy a speedy recovery. Comment from David S. Robins says the guy should die because he's republican.

What is up with the way CNN moderates comments? Just curious. Seems random and unrelated to whether you are first to comment or what you say.

March 13, 2009 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Rob in Detroit Mi.

the man needs a heart.

March 13, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  9. cnnnewser

Isn't he the one thats been shooting off his mouth about not accepting the stimulus money for Texas?

March 13, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  10. P. Y.

@David S. Robbins

March 13th, 2009 3:31 pm ET

" He's a Republican. They should have let him die. "

I am a Democrat and would never vote for a Republican at this stage, HOWEVER, you are disgusting. It really is a shame that your life must be surrounded with such hatefulness that you say things like this. Grow up ! Didn't your mother ever teach you that some times it is better to just not say anything at all. When it comes to you, I am guessing, this would be most of the time.

March 13, 2009 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. patHuntingtonNY

Oh my, the poor thing! I hope he lives a long life to see the success of the Obama administration?

March 13, 2009 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  12. J.Crobuzon

So what? ALL Republicans are getting Rushed somewhere these days. Seriously, it's great how they can fix stuff like that now. Can't say I have much use for the guy but I don't want to see him dead.

March 13, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Democrat from Columbus

Our prayers are with the Congressman and his family!

March 13, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  14. John Starnes Tampa Florida

I wish him a speedy recovery, but DO wonder why our "representatives" get taxpayer funded health care the rest of us could only dream of.

March 13, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. AndyL

Judging by these comments and some of the other ones on Barbara Bush this morning, I must admit I was wrong. Democrats are not the peace loving, socialist, tree huggers I thought they were. Apparently you are very hateful and means spirited people. Thank God most of you don't believe in owning guns.

Even if I think that Obama and the dems are ruining the country and taking it down a socialist path, at least realize that they are doing what they think is right. I may wish them out of office, but I do not wish them harm.

Hope you will be fine Mr. Olson

March 13, 2009 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. NClaw441

Mark, I oppose universal health care, IF by that you mean that "government" (i.e., the rest of us) has to pay for those who "can't" afford it. If we give people everything that they say they need but cannot afford, what is the incentive to work? And if there is no incentive to work, why should anyone bother to work– just let "government" pay for it.

One cannot have a "right" to another person's labor.

March 13, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. Ed Word

I hope he does OK. He looks pretty young.

On thing is for sure – he's got nothing to worry about as far as insurance goes, unlike most of his constituents.

March 13, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  18. Christine, Toledo, OR

David S. Robins March 13th, 2009 3:31 pm ET

He's a Republican. They should have let him die.

WOW so such hate David, you should go see a doctor or something. It's people like you who are dividing our country.

March 13, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  19. DNC must be changed.

David S. Robins-you are totally perilious accomplice.
    I couldn't believe how CNN allowed this accomplice, David S Robins's curses that "He's a Republican. They should have let him die." to post at public. This guy's curse could reach out to hate criminal. Even though I have not agreed even one single issue with Senetor, Kennedy, I wished Ted Kennedy's recovery when he had seizure because he has dedicated to American Politice for long time.

March 13, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  20. Lisa M.

This congressman does look younng for this to happen to him. As some have written isn't it great that federal officials get such good health insurance. What about the reat of us?

March 13, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. ken

What's with all the scare quotes?

If there is some doubt about the version of the story being told, please explain – otherwise let's not over use those "Scare Quotes".

"Thanks,"
    Ken

March 13, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. George Arlington, TX.

I wish someone to follow up his co payment, if there was one. I would like to know how much out of pocket he had to pay. I do not understand why the Republicans are so against the medical care for every American. With all of the money we give to countrys that hate us we could have the best medical care ever ,and in the future.

March 13, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  23. Bubba

Yeah, I gotta say the Robins comment is pretty dumb, but how many commenters on here have wished death upon Pelosi, Reid, and Obama? Despite your willingness to make this a Left/Right issue, it's more like some people are born mean. Keep that tongue in your mouth or get it nailed to a tree, son.
    There are issues Dems avoid, but Gops favor, issues that need to be addressed. There are things Gops won't touch that Dems will work on, and that keeps us from having legislation drafted by indifferent or biased politicians, and in that respect it would be a catastrophe if either party failed. You all understand that in some rudimentary way, or you wouldn't be trying to convince us that your way is right(it's not, there IS no right way).

March 13, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  24. looselycoupled

Thankfully he has excellent tax-payer funded healthcare to cover the enormous costs of that procedure. Who wants to wager he is anti-universal healthcare? Freaking hypocrites..

March 13, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  25. TA

AndyL, I have no love for a person who soaks off my dollar while telling me to sink or swim on my own, and on the very thing he's living off my dollar on, especially on a health care procedure I have to pay twice as much for in the private sector. It's time you right-wingers practice what you preach. If ole NC is right and we do not have a right to anyone else's labor, fine, your heartless philosophy should apply to this hypocritical rep., as well. Privatize all health care for Congress and make Pete go out there with his preexisting condition and get his own pace maker, like the rest of us. You want love, you have to earn it and give it back. You can't cut people off at the knees and tell everyone else to die so you don't have to pay the bills, and then come in here and whine about how intolerant we are. Frankly, you don't rank it. Neither does this hypocritical congressman.

March 13, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |