March 13th, 2009

First daughters explore the Oval Office

(CNN) – How are the Obama girls adjusting to their new life as the nation’s first daughters? Mrs. Obama says the White House’s newest kids are “doing great.”

“I think they’re doing great because I’ve been able to strike a balance,” the first lady said in an interview Friday with Good Morning America. “I think I have a pretty full plate, but I still have time to be home for homework and to make sure I’m there before they leave and to go to their parent-teacher conferences and all the things that it’s important to do as a parent.”

Mrs. Obama doesn’t take all the credit for helping raise her girls, Malia, 10 and Sasha, 7. The first lady praised her mother, Marian Robinson, for taking on maternal tasks while she is away.

“I think that all of our transition has been eased because of her presence. She’s so non-impressed by any of this. She keeps all of our feet on the ground,” Mrs. Obama said of her live-in mother. “She’s picking them up, she’s getting them through homework, she’s making sure that they practicing piano, all the things that moms would do, but she does it with that extra little kick of love. She’s enjoyed the transition, as well.”

The Obamas have expressed that they don’t want their daughters to be “too exposed” as to maintain a sense of normalcy while living in the nation’s executive mansion. But, Mrs. Obama said that there is a power of children connecting with other children that the media provides. “That’s been wonderful for the nation to have two little kids in the White House that they can connect to,” she said.

According to the first lady, Malia and Sasha have explored the White House, even “popping” into the Oval Office once in a while, but they haven’t broken anything, yet. “We’ve had some guests who’ve broken some things, but not the kids, and they know who they are,” the first lady laughed.

Filed under: Malia Obama • Michelle Obama • Sasha Obama
  1. obama=he's really stupid

Yes, it was Ophra.

March 13, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  2. jaye

I love our new First Family – they're a bright spot in day after day of depressing news.

March 13, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  3. worriedmom

Makes me wonder if Mrs. Obama is like her hubby. Always finding someone else to blame. Why the big deal of making sure people know that someone else broke things. I wish well for the girls, cannot be an easy life in the public eye all the time. I am glad that at least they are trying to give some normalcy to their lives

March 13, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  4. Whatz up

GOD Bless our FIRST FAMILY, I'm so proud them!

March 13, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  5. Troy

I think these people are a class act. They are so normal. And I tip my hat to Mrs. Robinson. It sounds like she knows what she is doing.

March 13, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. jano1234

Well, aren't we special!!!

March 13, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  7. Watchful Cowboy

This has to be an exciting journey for the girls. I love how my grandsons see the world and would love to spend some time hearing how the girls enjoy the White House. They are living history, just as we are. I hope they enjoy the experience, and forgive us all for bashing their Dad so much.

March 13, 2009 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  8. Brian Crooks

This should send a message to all those absentee parents who hire big-bucks nannies to take care of their kids because they wanna go party and pretend they're 20 years old. If the First Lady can still be an active mom with all the things she has to do, you have no excuse. Put down your mojito, take off your Juicy Couture track suit, and be a MOM for crying out loud!

I live in a pretty affluent Chicago suburb and I can't start to explain how angry it makes me to see women in their 40s in jean mini skirts and halter tops drive around in their husbands' Mercedes and only see their kids when they have to. Bravo, Mrs. Obama!

March 13, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Julia

It's nice to see a normal everyday working family in the White House. You can tell that they all help each other and stay grounded. I think the girls will turn out just fine. Just like the country will turn out just fine. Its interesting to see a young family out in front like this. From a family in the spotlight perspective. Provides something to look up to as opposed to all these horrible reality shows with dysfunctional shallow families.

March 13, 2009 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  10. Joe

You people are a hoot who think that the Obama's are the greatest thing since the wheel was invented. These sappy posts are worse than Jack being "smitten" and Matthews' leg tingle...

March 13, 2009 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. opps priceless peice with crayon on it

too funny, but have fun, what an education

March 13, 2009 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  12. Deborah

I couldn't agree with you more, Jaye, what a ray of sunshine this entire family is!

March 13, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  13. matt

Send them to Darfur or Somalia and let them know how blessed they are to live in the USA

March 13, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  14. jjr

To Brian Cooks-

I also think that it is a great story but remember as it states in the story, she has her mom which some of the people that you are judging may not have, so they pay a nanny. She is not your ordinary mom, in that she does have someone to cook, clean, and drive her kids to school, and I'm sure she doesn't do laundary. She does seem like a great mom, but she does have her perks that make everyday parenting a little easier. Also, why don't you mention the dads in your neighborhood, what are they doing?

March 13, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  15. Taa Taa

God is going to bring his full wrath down on hateful people.

March 13, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  16. Carole

Great story. Nice to know that they are raising the children with morales and integrity, like they have as parents!

**IGNORE the Repug with the slanderous comments....they know not what they do when they are so sick.

March 13, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  17. Donna

awww...does that make you feel good "obama=he's really stupid?" Saying a stunningly juvenile thing in response to an article about two little kids. What are you overcompensating for? Obviously, you have a lot of inadequacies, but which one in particular?

March 13, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  18. Justin from New Haven, CT

If they don't want to be exposed, they why is this crap still being reported?

March 13, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  19. SHERLOCK

Wow....some whites are still having difficulty accepting this....guess what? TOO BAD!!!

March 13, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  20. Sharon- Birmingham, Al

Great Story! I love reading every day articles on the First Family. The White House really is America's House now with a genuine American Family. This is so refreshing!

March 13, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  21. JIM...TX

To all you nay sayers on this post...you are PATHETIC! After 8 years of the Crawford idiot in the WH having nothing much to do with anybody or anything constructive, it's nice to have an engaged family there. Get over it...the BLACKS will be in the WH for hopefully 8 years too an we'll see who does a better job:)

March 13, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  22. pray2008pray

God Bless the Obama's and rest in peace to the haters.

March 13, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Alison

Are you kidding me with all these negative posts? Unbelievable. We have an amazing family in the White House right now. We should feel proud of them and of what they represent. I am, for the first time in my life, totally impressed by my beautiful First Family.

March 13, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Will-South Dakota

How great it is to have kids in the Whitehouse, what an experience for them. I hope they embrace the time and the adventures before them. May they be blessed with guidance from their parents and grandmother.

March 13, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. A CANUCK

MOST OF THESE COMMENTS ARE DISGUSTING ......WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU AMERICANS ??? CAN'T YOU APPRECIATE AN INTELLIGENT AND DECENT FAMILY ????

March 13, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |