March 13th, 2009

First daughters explore the Oval Office

(CNN) – How are the Obama girls adjusting to their new life as the nation’s first daughters? Mrs. Obama says the White House’s newest kids are “doing great.”

“I think they’re doing great because I’ve been able to strike a balance,” the first lady said in an interview Friday with Good Morning America. “I think I have a pretty full plate, but I still have time to be home for homework and to make sure I’m there before they leave and to go to their parent-teacher conferences and all the things that it’s important to do as a parent.”

Mrs. Obama doesn’t take all the credit for helping raise her girls, Malia, 10 and Sasha, 7. The first lady praised her mother, Marian Robinson, for taking on maternal tasks while she is away.

“I think that all of our transition has been eased because of her presence. She’s so non-impressed by any of this. She keeps all of our feet on the ground,” Mrs. Obama said of her live-in mother. “She’s picking them up, she’s getting them through homework, she’s making sure that they practicing piano, all the things that moms would do, but she does it with that extra little kick of love. She’s enjoyed the transition, as well.”

The Obamas have expressed that they don’t want their daughters to be “too exposed” as to maintain a sense of normalcy while living in the nation’s executive mansion. But, Mrs. Obama said that there is a power of children connecting with other children that the media provides. “That’s been wonderful for the nation to have two little kids in the White House that they can connect to,” she said.

According to the first lady, Malia and Sasha have explored the White House, even “popping” into the Oval Office once in a while, but they haven’t broken anything, yet. “We’ve had some guests who’ve broken some things, but not the kids, and they know who they are,” the first lady laughed.

Filed under: Malia Obama • Michelle Obama • Sasha Obama
  1. KLS

TO: Anonymous March 13th, 2009 4:06 pm ET "Obama IS a disgrace and so is his ill-fitted family in the whitehouse. Horse manure the mother-in-law isn't impressed! Who is going to believe that? Another Obama lie."

People like you who are so full of hate are a disgrace to America. Maybe, you would feel more at home in a Taliban society instead of our great nation!!

God Bless America!!
    God Bless our Troops!!
    God Bless President Obama and his beautiful family!!

March 13, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. kels

love our new First Family God Bless them and Lord watch over them and our new Pres

March 13, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. KLK

What a beautiful American family. I love the Obamas.

March 13, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. Greg, San Francisco, CA

Some very sad and petty people on this blog. You have every right to disagree with President Obama's decisions and politics, but attacking his family accomplishes what exactly? A brief, momentary release from your never ending negativity? What's you payoff exactly Mr. or Ms. "Anonymous @ 4:06" and "Obama=he's really stupid"?

March 13, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Thomas L. Davidson

It just blows my mind, how cruel hearted some people are, here you have a man, that has worked his way very hard to become president of the United States, and you hate him for what.

He is working for the people, what a great idea, show some respect, chances are you will be helped by his actions, like it or not.

Get over it, there is a beautiful black family in the White House, that means business and has been about business since they stepped in the door.

March 13, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  6. FAYE, NV

Mrs. Obama is down to earth and you gotta love her. This family brings life to the White House.

March 13, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  7. Rick Roberts

Some of you people really make me laugh, except you are not funny. Of course they have help in the White House. It's "THE WHITE HOUSE" for God's sake. How many of you would want to be President? Forget the perks, I mean how many people would want to be President? I know I wouldn't take the job if it were offered. Some of the remarks are racist but I'm afraid at 71 years old I'll never live long enough to see that go away. Oh by the way, I am white.
    Those girls are adorable and, thanks to the First Lady, the President, and Grandma, they will be well adjusted women some day and make a difference in the world.
    I can only hope that your children grow up to be the type of people that the Obama kids will be. I can proudly say that my kids are of the mold that the Obama kids are and have turned out to be people I admire. They are wonderful parents, with most of their children having degrees,or working on getting them. Are they rich? Not monetarily but they were raised to respect people of all colors and beliefs and to respect the country and It's leaders, even Republicans.
    If everyone would take the time to just appreciate what they have and not always be looking at what others have, who knows, you might just find yourself being happier.
    Keep going Obamas. You rock.

March 13, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  8. BJ

What on earth is wrong with some of you? Can't you appreciate a good family? Why do you always have to write in with your hateful, vile remarks? The rest of the world seem able to appreciate President Obama and his family more than you do. Can't you see how hard he is trying to bring the U.S. back from the brink of disaster and is trying to work for all of you? If only you could see past your prejudices. Get a life. You are so sickening.

March 13, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. New Yorker

Thomas L. Davidson – I don't have any problem with a black man in the White House; I have a problem with an inexperienced, liberal, Socialist/Marxist in the White House.

March 13, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  10. Mike

jaye:
    You are aware, are you not, that they were all born in Kenya . . .

March 13, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  11. ~~ July ~~

To all you haters ................. hating two kids? really?? .. you are writing ugly things about two kids of the age 7 and 10 ? .... KIDS.

I bet come SUNDAY morning you go to church and all smiles and bless each and every one around you and feel a peace around you for going to church right after you attack ...................... kids.

March 13, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. DX in TX

I wander what it would be like to hangout with the Obama's probably just like hanging out with my family...on my Mother's side of the family not my Dad's family....

Obama/Biden
    2008/2012

March 13, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. PK California

Grandparents are very important in the lives of growing children. I have been watching my grandson at least once a week since he was born. I benefit as much as I hope he does. It gives him the full perspective on life. What some don't realize is that parents know everything that's going on in their child's life and their job is to teach, protect, and guard their health and welfare. A grandparent's job is to listen to their thoughts and dreams. It builds their self esteem and they like being the teacher some times. I'm confident that the Obama girls will grow up to be fine young women. With their parents' guidance and their grandmother's love, they can't miss.

March 13, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  14. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

I love these stories about the First Family.

I hope everyday for their safety and success.

March 13, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. proud american

When the Clintons were in the White House things didn't get broken!

Those were the good ol days when the President would engage in lewd conduct with interns in the Oval Office!

Hillary/Palin 2012!

March 13, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  16. maria

Michelle's statements come across pretty hypocritical considering they are pawning off their girls in every media opportunity available to them.

It is Michelle and Barack who continue to sell their girls out for political gain.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

I wish they would truly keep the children safely out of the lime light when possible.

All they seem to care about is their own political gain and egos.

March 13, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  17. Wayne D. PA

They look like the America normal family God Bless them and make us proud and break something.

March 13, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  18. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

Two days ago I walked into a Borders store and what caught my attention as I walked through the entrance was the Obamas on the rack as I walked in. I thought okay...as I walked farther in, I was in disbelief, left right and center all I could see was Barack Obama. From the inaugaration to special editon etc. Now to the end of the store, as I walk past the children's corner, no small tables and chairs for children to read (as I remember the set up) but a table displayed with Michelle Obama and Barrack Obama paperbacks and hardcover. I picked up a paperback of Michelle and flipped through the pages and stopped at the page where she talked about her interview with the President of the Chicago hospital and how she had take Sasha to the interview with her. I thought the whole interview was more like a set up for her upcoming role...lol. As I walked around the corner thinking the Obama's faces ended there but only to be greeted by a smiling face of Barrack on a CD. I'm feeling dizzy at this point that the fact the management appeared to be obessed with the Obama family almost made me throw up. Is it really that bad or was it sales desparado? Its not funny anymore thats for sure.

March 13, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  19. nesha Dallas,tx

Thanks to all the grandparents of America! You rock!
    The First Family is wonderful. The girls will be a shining star someday.
    God bless the First Family
    God bless the USA

March 13, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Beverly, NYC

I see the sheet wearing contingent are out in force. What kind of soul-less, sub-human hides behind a computer and picks on children? Don't hate because the Obama's have the family life you wish you had.

March 13, 2009 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. phyllicia

Mike
    Is that Kenya Kansas or Kenya, Hawaii?

You and BJ and New Yorker "say away from the pipe" it's clouded your judgement. A progressive loving family in the White House is a GOOD thing

March 13, 2009 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. Kathy

I did not vote for BHO, and personally I don't think he has what it takes to run this country, however he seems to have a good family relationship. I have a problem with his mother in law living off our tax dollars.

March 13, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. please, please

Please stop burying the lede.

I really can't take it anymore.

Seriously? Your headline wasn't explained until the last paragraph. Literally. The last paragraph.

March 13, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Chris in Va.

O.K. right wing nuts, party's over, time to grow up, time to quit your sniveling and pouting and be big boys and girls.

March 13, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  25. Joe Fattal

The way I see it, the Obama's are but another black family in government housing. They all happy and mostly appreciative.

March 13, 2009 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |