March 13th, 2009

White House approves of Cramer smackdown

Many declared Jon Stewart, right, the victor in his face-to-face with Jim Cramer.

(CNN) - Jim Cramer's now-infamous appearance on The Daily Show Thursday night even won the attention of President Obama, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

At the White House Daily Briefing Friday, Gibbs said he and Obama had discussed the CNBC host's grilling from comedian Jon Stewart, though he wasn't sure if the president had actually seen it.

But for his part, Gibbs said he "enjoyed it thoroughly."

"I thought [Stewart] asked a lot of tough questions, and I am not surprised that the video of Mr. Cramer's appearance doesn't appear on CNBC's web site today," Gibbs joked.

It's not the first time the White House Press Secretary has mixed it up with a CNBC host. Late last month he called out reporter Rick Santelli over his tirade against the president's mortgage plan.

Related: Stewart seen as winner in showdown with Cramer

"I…think that it's tremendously important that for people who rant on cable television to be responsible and understand what it is they're talking about," Gibbs said then. "I feel assured that Mr. Santelli doesn't know what he's talking about."

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. John in AZ

Whether he wants to admit it or not, Jon Stewart is a journalist.

March 13, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  2. Andy

The president has no business criiticizing political oponents. He should be spending far more time revealing the identity of undercover CIA operatives who's husbands found evidence that the administration lied about invading a foreign nation.

March 13, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  3. Patrick

Jon Stewart hit a grand slam with this interview. Very well done. So called Mainstrream Media reporters oughto to regard this as a lesson that we are sick of their fawning over CEOs or republicans or other rich people and do their jobs like Jon Stewart just schooled them on. Media is not in place to hob nob with celebrities and curry favor with crooks and cover for them. They should all be taking this lesson very seriously.
    I also agree that Cramer did man up and face the criticism that he knew was coming his way. It is hard to stay angry at someone that is sorry for his sins, so I am proud of him too.

March 13, 2009 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  4. Brian

He gets all this attention for bashing Cramer?!?!?!
    how about hauling in Barney Frank, Maxine Waters, and Nancy Pelosi and get tough with the people with the REAL power?!?!?!

March 13, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  5. lilired

"I love my country and YES I want him to fail."

What a moronic statment. A failed term affects everyone. Trickle down effect? So you would rather economic turmoil just to prove a point? That says a lot about you. I hope you don't lose your trailer in the aftermath.

March 13, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  6. cnnnewser

The smackdown of the century – an easy win for Jon Stewart! ;)

March 13, 2009 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  7. giv1p

I did not watch this but I am sure one way or another President Obama will be blamed!!!

March 13, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  8. Nancy

All the comments about Obama watching TV rather than governing – at least he knows what's going on in the country! Watching the Daily Show online takes 21 minutes. Surely everyone deserves 21 minutes of down-time in their day – even the president! Don't tell me Bush never took time off!! More time on his ranch/vacationing than any other president!

March 13, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. Bryan Morgan

I like stewart and I am an inspired cramer fan booyaa is how the young kids say it lol. I'm 34 and black male. its the responsibility of every american to be informed and don't believe everything you see/here without researching for yourself... that includes listening to pres.obama.
    If everyone does their job with there own opinion belief and courage then we can submit to the 2/3 vote that expresses democracy. CAPITALISM w/o GREED can WORK. focus people!

March 13, 2009 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  10. stickyideas

Congrats to the Stewart team! They were brave and stood up for our good citizens. Glad we could count on them to step up to the plate. Everyone needs to do their job (even comedians) during this economic catastrophe. (I see that people are posting here without having seen the clips...this is absurd.)

It was gracious of Cramer to come on the show.

Kudos to all who participated in making that segment happen.

March 13, 2009 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  11. Porl

How's that whole "Hope" and "Change" thing working out for us?

March 13, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  12. Ron Koontz

I love how Stewart "grills" certain people. It's pretty stinking easy to criticize an area with so many problems. Doesn't anyone else think that Stewart just chooses subjects that are easy for the picking and then grandstands the heck out of it? Seriously people – if there was a broker that knew everything, would that person really need to be a broker? The point is that the economy is one big stinking monster that grows and shrinks in SPITE of the president and congress. It seems that the only thing that gov't is capable of doing in these cases is extending the pain or setting up everyone for the next financial disaster. Regardless of what the media tells you, the current problem started building in the mid-ninties.

March 13, 2009 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. major

stewart is the heavyweight champion of the world, I rank him up there with ALI and FOREMAN. he threw some very powerful punches. Cramer thought he was ranked number 1. How wrong he was, Cramers cut man CNBC had no way of stopping the bleeding. I believe the ref comedy central made a good decision by letting the fight go the distance. Stewart you are the peoples champion. But a bit of advice, dont even think about a shot at FOREMAN, even in old age he will knock you out.

March 13, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. mike

too funny, are the wall street marauders getting nervous?

for all who disapprove of obamas economy remember who he inherited it from.

for those who do not like his policies get ready for more, the uptick rule is comming back.

March 13, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  15. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

I found it refreshing to see a Wall $t "guru" getting torn apart by Jon Stewart. It was great and long overdue.

I think Jon Stewart really spoke for a lot of people who don't have that kind platform to express their views to someone like Jim Cramer, who was squirming during the segment.

Thanks Jon!

March 13, 2009 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  16. Jeff

I'm not sure how anyone could watch what Jon Stewart did on his show and not applaud him for doing his best to try to hold an entire network accountable for their part in the economic fiasco we are in. Cramer tries to come across as just a clown, but the clips of him explaining how to manipulate the system show that he is an enthusiastic participant. Hopefully people will start to recognize these thieves for what they are. All you have to do is hear about the obscene 'bonuses' that were handed out in December – at the same time that these companies were scaring us into agreeing to billions in bailout money – and there is no doubt that corruption in the financial markets is out of control. Cramer's appearance, and the clips of him giving his secret advice, merely confirm what has become obvious.

March 13, 2009 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  17. BoboBrazil

Look, Jon Stewart is funny and I really enjoy his show, but it is laughable to think he is of the same mettle as Dick Cavett ,David Frost or even Charlie Rose. We are in a sorry state of affairs if we are looking for astute political commentary from anyone from Comedy Central. For one of the best analysis of the current economic situation, Jaime Dimond's (J.P. Morgan) testimony is xlnt. It can be replayed on the cnbc website.

March 13, 2009 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  18. Bill/CA

I used to watch Jon Stewart, but last night's show was a bit more of an ambush than actual journalism and Stewart has minimal credibility with me since he had John Kerry on his show in 2004 and asked him a bunch of softball questions (and I'm a Democrat).

I wish Stewart had actually asked Cramer some real questions about the economy instead of just bombarding him with his own, admittedly uneducated, opinions on finance.

March 13, 2009 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  19. E.C.Coleman

marilynn.............great comments and couldn't agree more. obama has no business voicing any opinion on anything ...except the job he needs to accomplish.

March 13, 2009 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  20. E.C.Coleman

marilynn..........couldn't agree more. obama has no business voicing an opinion re/ such a confrontation or the content. he needs to stick to the business at hand and what he must accomplish.

March 13, 2009 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  21. susanspics

I love the Daily Show, but I must say I was disappointed this time around – Stewart does this from time to time. Yeah, sticking it to Cramer had a certain enjoyment, but it was just kinda Jon talking, ranting if you will, and Cramer sitting there, not able to respond. I would have appreciated a back and forth, respectable conversation. Cramer, though annoying, isn't dumb, is reasonably moderate, and has the traders perspecitve of the market – something a lot don't understand. It's all entertainment that draws its certain crowd. Again, as much as I love the Daily Show, it's only as scary as to how many get all their financial knowledge off of Mad Money, as to how many people get all their political news from the Daily Show.

March 13, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  22. RT

Stewart wants to be a journalist without the responsibility of journalistic ethics or standards. He will be journalist/comedian – whichever suits his agenda for the moment. He conveniently denies that he has any true responsibility as a journalist, even though a significant portion of 18-25 y/o's get their "news" and develope their political/world views based upon his reporting (I mean comedy routine.) And now, apparently, he wants to become the news with this pissing match stunt with Cramer.

He wants the relevance of true reporting without the responsibility of being a true reporter. It is a copout. Here's hoping that someone has the guts to call him out, as he so often calls others out for their hypocrisy.

March 13, 2009 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  23. SJ

Good Job Jon Stewart.

I think it is awsome that we have a White House that doesn't have their head bared in the sand. They are hip and aware of what goes on around them. Not completely out of touch like the previous four or five administrations.

March 13, 2009 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  24. Palin fan...NOT

I will give you this, Cramer can take a beating.

March 13, 2009 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  25. James

I'm suprised the White House would comment on this. I'd like to think that Mr. Obama and Co. would be more interested in saving the ecomony, than worry about the Cramer / Stewart showdown.

March 13, 2009 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |