March 14th, 2009

Obama jokes: GOP wants me in the Amazon

President Obama jokes with reporters in an Oval Office meeting with Brazilian President Lula da Silva on Saturday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama took a lighthearted jab at Republicans Saturday after a nearly 35-minute press op with Brazilian President Lula da Silva in the Oval Office.

It came when a Brazilian reporter asked him whether he planned to visit the Amazon. Obama joked: "You know, I would love a trip to the Amazon. I suspect that the Republican Party would love to see me travel through the Amazon and maybe get lost."

Obama said he was looking forward to visiting Brazil, though no dates had been set.

"I will tell you that because I'm somebody who grew up in Hawaii, I felt it was very important that I at least go to Rio, where I understand the beaches are pretty nice."

Filed under: President Obama • Republican Party
  1. ron

No send the republican party there instead. That would make us all safer.

March 14, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Jameson

That true, the .R wants obama to get lost, that why they all diaagree with the president, because they they are the one who will get lost, if they give obama a chance for change.

The republican parties, is not a party, but a cacus of destrotions

March 14, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Paul H

I'm sure there are far right kooks that do feel that way Mr. President. Just like there are far left kooks that wanted Bush's head. (I mean far left, and right)
    But right here in the middle we just want our voice back. We just want the government listen to us. We want our representatives to represent us, not dictate to us!
    That's all! The media can spin what they want!!!!

March 14, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  4. Meka

President Obama, now that wasn't nice . . . even if it is true!

March 14, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. S.Postive

The RNC will get lost in the History first and replaced and since that may not happen due to some bound mindset, they will have to adapt to live with you as President of USA for the next 8 years...

March 14, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. Nick

Maybe the Republican Party should take a trip down the amazon! :D

March 14, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  7. Rick

We dont want you in the Amazon, what we want is for you to actually keep any of your promises and to actually work for the american people rather than be Pelosi's puptet.

March 14, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. If you don't like it go back to Europe!

Wait a min. GOP, he was just joking with you. I know that because he has been beating you to every punch it is easy for you to think he does not like you, but I think at this point he does at least have pitty for you. Don't get so upset, it was just a joke. Why do you GOPers always have to worry about politically correct statements?

March 14, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  9. just today

It's a shame that the republicans won't get behind OUR President.

March 14, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. Tara

That is a childish comment and certainly has no place during meetings with foreign leaders.
    Obama has to grow up and act more presidential .

March 14, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  11. Lori

Yes, President Obama the Republicans want you lost. The rest of us sane, intelligent Americans and the rest of the world, want you right where you are so you can clean up the mess the Republicans left us all in.

The Republicans need to get lost in the amazon. Better yet, they need to be extinct. Oh, that's right... they're on their way to being that. Thank goodness!!!

March 14, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  12. Mitchell from MS

Bo seems to think very highly of himself. I don't think the GOP wants you lost, I think they wished you chose better canidates for public office, would lower taxes instead of raising them during a recession, wouldn't fund abortion around the world, and so on.....

March 14, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  13. johnnymo

it's not that funny;ever since Obama took office,all the GOP has been doing is slinging a lot crap

March 14, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Dissappointed

I'm a Republican and I am trying to believe in Obama but hearing a comment like this is really discouraging. I can probably accept and laugh at that comment more if it was said to a political leader in the US but not to a President of another country.

Great way to show how divided we really are to another nation.

March 14, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  15. JSU-TIGER99

LOL... At least he do know they want him lost and out of office, but he will be back and there is nothing that the GOP can do about it. I hope he have a great trip and enjoy the beach

March 14, 2009 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  16. Charlie in Maine

That's right sir. Everytime you give a speech it makes them look bad by comparaison

March 14, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  17. NYHillary

He's telling the truth. GOP haven't said one think good about Obama.

March 14, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  18. Sonny

Nobody I know is asking Obama to, "get lost".

All we are asking is that he apply his attention to the economic solutions needed for our country and forget about his education, energy and health care plans. They can wait because if something isn't done about the debt we are accumulating, all the rest of his social plans will be scrapped anyway.

Many of us just don't understand why he wants to saddle future generations of Americans with insurmountable debt that can never be paid off in the lifetimes of those who are currently living. Imagine being born and when you are old enough to understand being told that their grandparents thought so little of you that they put them in servitude to the government for the rest of their lives.

March 14, 2009 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  19. Hannah Stevens

I love this president. He is so human and yet he is so smart and savy. We have not seen a president like him ever. FDR was great but this man is greater.

March 14, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  20. athomasr

They could only wish he would get lost. Republicans don't know what to do with themselves since Obama keeps crushing them. Minorities have been spit upon by the republican party. It's time to pay the price for this evil deeds.

March 14, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  21. disgusted

Yes, we do want Obama to get lost in the Amazon. Maybe the market will stop plummeting if he takes a break from make any announcements.

March 14, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. Al, CA

Good joke, will go well with anybody. Is there any country in the World that likes our GOP? Well, may be Iran should give many thanks to Bush – for grown influence; Russia – for years of good oil money; all kind of extremists – for Bush policy, and... may be India – for jobs.

March 14, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  23. Ryan from CA

Fascinating story. It's good to see the important issues are being addressed.

March 14, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  24. Mark

Be sure to take Pelosi with you!!!

March 14, 2009 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  25. narvaezg

I really appreciate your extended coverage of this press opportunity. All too often these events are just glossed over by US media.
    I do want to express something that I found troubling during the event: the simultaneous translator skipped a few things that Pres. Lula said. probably the most egregious was when Lula said something like "...and to improve relationships with Latin America and Africa." The translator dropped the "Africa" reference, not only once, but twice at different parts of Lula's comments. My hope is that Pres. Obama receives a verbatim translation of his comments since small changes can be read differently by all the actors involved (not only are US citizens watching this, but others around the world).

March 14, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |