March 14th, 2009

Obama jokes: GOP wants me in the Amazon

President Obama jokes with reporters in an Oval Office meeting with Brazilian President Lula da Silva on Saturday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Obama took a lighthearted jab at Republicans Saturday after a nearly 35-minute press op with Brazilian President Lula da Silva in the Oval Office.

It came when a Brazilian reporter asked him whether he planned to visit the Amazon. Obama joked: "You know, I would love a trip to the Amazon. I suspect that the Republican Party would love to see me travel through the Amazon and maybe get lost."

Obama said he was looking forward to visiting Brazil, though no dates had been set.

"I will tell you that because I'm somebody who grew up in Hawaii, I felt it was very important that I at least go to Rio, where I understand the beaches are pretty nice."

Filed under: President Obama • Republican Party
  1. lynn in NM

No, we like you right where you are. The Democratic House and Senate, too. Time to take responsibility for all the promises you made during the campaign. So far, I think you're at about 10%, MAYBE. It's not as easy to walk on water as you thought, is it?

March 14, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. podo3500

Brazil is a great place to visit ,but make sure there are no Camera's Mr president when you are at the beach. Those sleeveless Bra's would be stuck up on you for good. But the Amazon, you are right the GOP, would find that interesting. Have a good time Mr President, but before you visit the Brazil beaches, fix the economy first, because my family can't afford such a holiday any longer.

March 14, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  3. Peter E

Most Americans wouldn't be able to find Brazil on a map of the world. Neither Obama, nor the GOP are better.

March 14, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  4. mother of a soldier

Cannot he not keep his thoughts to himself rather than flame the fire of the republicans. I am tired of this negative banter between parties! It is time the children learn to play together.

March 14, 2009 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  5. HopeOverFear

They still dont believe that Obama won the presidency. If anyone needs to get lost, its the GOP.

March 14, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. Perusing-through

Dear Mr. President,

[1.] – The GOP would love to see you fail.
    [2.] – The GOP would love to see you lose.
    [3.] – The GOP would love to see you gone.

May GOD Forever Bless the United States of America!
    May GOD Immensely Bless the "Obama-Biden-Clinton-Leadership" Team!

March 14, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  7. D. Major

If Mr. Obama would like for Republicans' such as myself to start liking him he needs to show some respect to people who do not agree with his policies & are offended by his stupid comments re: the GOP. I never voted for him & never will! I'm counting the days until he is out of office!

March 14, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  8. mary

isn't it great to have a President with a sense of humor, he's the most interesting and real person i have seen in our government in my lifetime. I can pay attention to every word he says. Everyone else in Washington just sounds like blah blah blah to me, and im glad he finds humor in the realty that republicans are still running their campaign and dont seem to except their loss, and of course they would like to lose him in the amazon.

March 14, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  9. TDB

Obama is already lost.

March 14, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  10. Rob

I'm sure 'they' would love to see you get lost, but I'm behind you Mr. President, 100%.

March 14, 2009 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  11. neuroperson

Lost is putting it mildly. Funny how the economy is tanking, Russia is moving Bombers into Cuba and Venezuela. Pakistan is in upheaval and is conceding the North to the Fundamentalists, Afghanistan is moving back under the control of the Taliban, Unemployment is rising, the markets keep dropping, PAC are increasing in number, and his spending is more in 3 mo. than Bush's was in 8 years, but everything is rosy in CNN front page..

The is news and there is propaganda. That makes CNN "infotainment".

March 14, 2009 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  12. matt

He's right. We would.

March 14, 2009 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  13. Saad from NJ

GOP, once a symbol of grand ideas/thoughts and a party of dignity now should stand for 'Grand Old Potty'.... lol....

March 14, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  14. Tom

hope you enjoy your trip to the beach Obama. How much will that cost the tax payers?

March 14, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  15. Pete

Every day he inspires me with his intellect

March 14, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  16. John in KY

Doing a great job Mr President!
    What is it about "WE WON" the people of America have spoken, that the REPUBLICANS don't understand? DUUHHHHH!

March 14, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. GoOBAMA!

Hee-Hee That's MY President! :)

March 14, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  18. republicans hate america

the rush limbaugh party would love to see obama disappear just as they would like see our country fail.

March 14, 2009 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  19. cathy smithson

Every time this man speaks off the cuff, you can tell he is not fit to be President. It is like Nero, laughing and going to beaches while Rome burns! . So unprofessional and unpolished, I am ashamed to come from Chicago! You are in the WHITE HOUSE, so act with some general degree of decorum. And that goes for Michelle as well, I cannot believe the kind of revealing outfits she is wearing on the magazine covers. You are a wife and mother and professional woman, so please cover it up, we are sick of seeing your bare arms. You two are no longer on the southside so please have some propriety, or at least act the part. AND OH – FIX THE ECONOMY PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!

March 14, 2009 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  20. Global Warming now called Climate Change

Tierd of hearing about Obama.

Ok I hope I get the my job back that I lost after he got elected in November.

He can go down to Amazon rain forest the big carbon sink and talk about Global Warming or Climate Change as its called now, since Hillary lost wearing those rediculous green scarves.

March 14, 2009 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  21. Derek Rubin

Why are little quips from the President suddenly headlines now? How was this of any significance?

March 14, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  22. Marge

Guess what...I along with millions and millions of real true blue Americans want the republicans to get lost for the rest of their terms.
    THEN and only THEN can we really get this country back on track.

March 14, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Amy

It's simple second grade politics: if you want to make friends with people, make fun of them. Wait. That's not it.

March 14, 2009 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  24. John from California

I think President Obama should invite the entire republican party down the amazon and leave them there!

March 14, 2009 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  25. u2canfail

I love the sense of humor our President has. Those of us who can laugh sleep better.

March 14, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |