March 15th, 2009

Cheney: Not happy we 'left Scooter sort of hanging'

Photo Credit: Josh Rubin/CNN.
Photo Credit: Josh Rubin/CNN.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Former Vice President Dick Cheney told CNN Sunday that former President George W. Bush should have pardoned former side I. Scooter "Lewis" Libby, and that he was unhappy his former chief of staff had been left "sort of hanging in the wind."

Bush had turned down Cheney's request for a Libby pardon. "Well, it was - it was one of the moments that occurred in the administration where we had fundamental difference of opinion," Cheney told John King on State of the Union. "I believe firmly that Scooter was unjustly accused and prosecuted and deserved a pardon, and the president disagreed with that."

King asked whether any of the discussions had been angry or tense ones, or involved shouting. "Those kinds of details, I think, are best left to history," replied Cheney. "Maybe I'll write about it in my book."

Cheney is writing an as-yet untitled memoir about his four decades in Washington.

He told King he and the president had spoken by phone three times in the past few weeks, and that the two men had "built a very solid, lasting relationship" - although he remained unhappy with Bush's decision on Libby. "I was clearly not happy that we, in effect, left Scooter sort of hanging in the wind, which I didn't think was appropriate. I think he's an innocent man who deserves a pardon," he said.

Cheney also defended Rush Limbaugh from charges by some conservative commentators that the radio host was electoral "kryptonite."

"Rush is a good friend. I love him," Cheney told King. "I think he does great work and has for years. He's now offered to debate President Obama on his radio show. Hell, I'd pay to see that! It would be interesting to have developed. I think Rush is a good man and serves a very important purpose."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • State of the Union
  1. Donald Reif, Jr.

Keep talking Dick. You just gained the Democratic Party several million more votes this morning!

March 15, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. Realist

BTW

Here's pet peeve of mine. The liberals were the first to use the term "drinking the kookaid" to refer to right wingnuts. Try to have an original thought of you own nutters and come up with your own quips.

Turn off Fox and hate radio.

March 15, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  3. Marty from Grand Rapids, Mi

Yeah, he was left hanging. Cause YOU are the one that should have gone to jail. You lie through your teeth for 8 years and expect us to believe this drivel? Give me a break. I love the "Lost" emails on tape backup. I work for IT and you just don't "Lose" tapes. They were deleted to cover your butt. Thanks for letting someone else take the rap for your treachery. You sold out an American CIA agent, Dick.

March 15, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  4. Susan

He should be glad that he is not in the same boat with Libby. For all his crimes, he needs to made culpable .

March 15, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. mk

Seems to me the United States became safer IN ALL WAYS the day Bush and Cheney walked out of the White House.
    This man is a cold hearted war criminal. Lets admit it and do what any other country would do. Put them in jail. I hear there may be some openings at Guantanimo.

March 15, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Ken

Maybe Bush and Cheney ordered Libby to do it anf belong in jail themselves.

March 15, 2009 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. Boston_Conservative77

Enough from this guy already.

Mr. Cheney you have very much overstayed your welcome in this country. Perhaps this is the right time for you to buy that white angora cat, and start building your evil lair on a distant island. Spare us your musings on the wold and just stay away from this nation.

March 15, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  8. Farrell, Houston, Tx

A fair exchange for Scooter Libby is Cheney/Bush. Until then no pardon for Scooter.

March 15, 2009 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Robert Dampier

Based on logical inferences drawn by Patrick Fitzgerald in the prosecution of Libby, it is apparent he lied.

Libby's lies protected Cheney, and maybe Bush.

Of course, Cheney feels Libby should have been pardoned.

My guess, and it is a guess, is, that Laura Bush is a very smart cookie. She is very protective of "W" , and finally convinced him that Cheney's (or the neo-cons') agenda that led to the Iraq war by falsifying intelligence hurts "W"'s legacy.

"W" now knows they lied! Consequently, "Scooter" has limited consequences.

Cheney is a war criminal!

March 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  10. Tony

It's interviews like this that remind me just how glad I am that this troupe is no longer in the White House and running this country. Good riddance you dirty criminals!

March 15, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  11. desperate neo-cons in CNN and corporate media

uhh, a little too late to spin your way out of the mess you've created!

people are finally starting to realize that you neo-con zionists are

criminals against humanity!

March 15, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. Dee Texas

Let's see, evidence presented in court, a jury decides he's guilty and you say he deserves a pardon. What you afraid of Dick? Maybe Scooter will have something to say about you in a book of his own. Oh I get it, that's what you are afraid of.

March 15, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  13. dumbocrat alert

Armitage and Fitzpatrick were the liars and should be at Gitmo.

March 15, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Diane

Libby was the fall guy. Bush and Cheney are the real criminals.

March 15, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  15. David in Houston

This diabolical henchman whines about his aide not getting a pardon. I was shocked that he didn't get one, too...but unlike this smirking gorilla, I was glad. Giving up the name of a CIA operative is treason, as far as I'm concerned...there are so many reasons for Cheney (and W, for that matter) to be carted off to jail. See, I think if Scooter didn't get a pardon, it weakens the case in the future if Cheney should ever get charged and convicted of his multiple crimes. Best he should keep quiet, perhaps play the game RISK, and conquer THAT world. He is pathetic, and his scare tactics aren't working anymore...yet that doesn't stop him. Enjoy your days out of office, Cheney...I hope you get charged and convicted someday.

March 15, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  16. A San Francisco non-believer

Seditious, treasonous war criminal. Cheney should be indicted, tried and publicly excecuted!

March 15, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  17. daniel

I. Scooter "Lewis" Libby, huh?

March 15, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  18. Fed Up in CO

The real tragedy in the Scooter Libby debacle is that Dick should have been charged – he mentions that Bush left Scooter hanging ... is this idiot for real - he was the one that started the ball rolling and he was (at the very least) a co-conspirator. The fact we let this man (Cheney) run the country for 8 years is still amazing to me - how can 40 million Americans be so stupid - and now I have to live with this idiocy and my depressed 401K - I want justice to be served on the past administration - they make Harding and Nixon look beyond reproach.

March 15, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. Ah Shucks

We feel sooo sorry for your buddy, Scooter. Both of you are criminals because you broke the law. Pure and simple. You're lucky you aren't going to jail there big daddy.

Why anyone would still listen to Dick Cheney after being wrong again and again and again and again and again is beyond me.

I don't hate the guy, but he has zero credibility left. ZERO.

March 15, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. zago

I don't know what qualifies the so-called Cheney to talk about national security issues. If they were so good at keeping America safe, why 9/11 on the first place? Under which administration this catastrophe has happened? When else was two effeminate and brainless people were in power for terrorists to attack America? If Cheney can answer these questions, I will be glad to listen to him.

March 15, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  21. Jeanine

Cheney needs to just slime off to the "lair" and start writing his book, and leave REAL Americans alone.

March 15, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  22. Andre

Around 300 Plus comments on the Chehey stuff. Not a single one on AIG bonus payout. I don't think some comments there will offend our beloved president who is all talk and very little action.

March 15, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. jimmie

Most of you are left-wing loons. Just listen to the bitterness in this forum. Your savior, Obama, is continuing most of the Bush foreign policies including his defense secretary for goodness sake.

You want Bush and Cheney charged? For what, keeping you safe for the last 8 years? Oh no, you want them charged because we poured water over terrorists heads for a few minutes to get information that saved untold thousands of lives. Meanwhile, we treated these people better than their own judicial system ever would have.

Get real folks.

March 15, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. cbrothers

Left Scooter hanging...how about the American People! Don't you think that you left us hanging too. You sold us up the corporate river.

March 15, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  25. RBS

All the same stuff he said a month ago, when he last surfaced.

Look like we can expect this, over and over and over again.

Cheney can serve as the new Bin Laden - reminding us that he's still out there, somewhere - and exhorting us to do the exact opposite of what Obama is doing.

That's how we'll know Obama's right.

March 15, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |