March 16th, 2009

Gibbs takes swipe at Cheney, 'Republican cabal'

CNN

Watch Gibbs take a swipe at Cheney.

(CNN) – White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs took a slap at Dick Cheney Monday, likening the former vice president to controversial talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh.

The comments came at the White House daily briefing, during which Gibbs dismissed Cheney's statement Sunday on CNN that several of President Obama's policies had left the country less safe.

"Well, I guess Rush Limbaugh was busy, so they trotted out the next most popular member of the Republican cabal," he said. "I would say that the president has made quite clear that keeping the American people safe and secure is the job - is the most serious job that he has each and every day.”

On CNN's State of The Union with John King Sunday, Cheney defended the Bush administration's policies on the handling of enemy combatants.

"I think those programs were absolutely essential to the success we enjoy, of being able to collect the intelligence that let us defeat all further attempts to launch attacks against the United States since 9/11," he said. "I think it's a great success story. It was done legally, it was done in accordance with our constitutional practices and principles…"

Gibbs later dialed back his comments, after being asked by a reporter if the sarcasm was the official White House "sanctioned tone" toward the vice president.

Watch: Cheney questions Obama's policies

"Some times I ask forgiveness, rather than for permission," he said. "I hope my sarcasm didn't mask the seriousness of the answer…that for seven plus years the very perpetrators that the vice president says he's concerned about weren't brought to justice."

Filed under: Dick Cheney • Popular Posts • Robert Gibbs
  1. Ricky

Casey, you are telling a conservative right winger to pick up a book. Good luck with that.

March 16, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. Not fact

@ AL

Check your facts my friend. Your second and third "fact" are not true. Iraq is no longer the largest tool for requirement, Afghanistan is. Iraq was never a major oil contributor to the US before the invasion and still isn't.

Saudia Arabia, Russia, Argentina, Kuwait, and Canada are.

March 16, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  3. Lucky Frog

Chaney – If you can't say something decent and nice, then keep your mouth shut. Go shovel manure and join the Bush gang and go and help bush shovel manure . It hs piled up after 8 years!

March 16, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  4. to Harry the uneducated.

This is exactly why I am for education. As Harry the Plumber put it in the most incorrectly written comment. He is a conservative who wants Rush and Palin in the White House who cannot even make a proper sentence. Shut Up Sit back and lets get the country back to being a superpower!!!!

March 16, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. Objective thinking

I'm not sure if I understand what you guys mean about the memo warning them about the attack. Did it include a date, a time, place, and method of attack? All that memo did was reiterate something that was known since the Clinton administration–that Bin Laden is seeking to hurt Americans. Bin Laden had people suicide bomb the WTC in the early 90's. The memo just said to wary of him.

So if you were president and you received a memo that simply reiterated the fact that Bin Laden was an enemy of the state, what would you do? Remember the memo doesn't have a date, time, place, or method of attack.

March 16, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |