March 17th, 2009

Michelle Obama the home builder

Michelle Obama met with members of YouthBuild Tuesday on the National Mall in Washington, DC.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Michelle Obama lent a hand Tuesday, pitching in to help build an affordable, energy-efficient home on the National Mall in Washington.

The first lady participated in an event marking the 30th anniversary of YouthBuild, a non-profit community development program that teaches low-income youth housing construction skills while they work toward their GED or high school diploma.

“Thirty years of anything is an amazing feat, but walking through these displays and talking to some of the most intelligent, focused, knowledgeable young people, that makes me proud - it should make this country proud,” the first lady said at Tuesday's event.

Mrs. Obama praised YouthBuild's community service effort and delivered a message to the program's participants: they can rebuild their lives and help others in the process.

"Its your core principle that I am so impressed with, providing opportunities for amazing young people,” she said as the crowd cheered. “Giving folks a second and third and fourth, chance particularly to low-income youth, sometimes we overlook them."

Mrs. Obama, who previously worked as a community-organizer in Chicago, worked to construct a three bedroom home for a single mother whose Texas residence was damaged by Hurricane Dolly.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. cranton

I love this woman!

Even knowing that the media and all of us will pick apart whatever she wears, she wears it anyway! I love it! Who cares if it matches? Who cares what color the boots are? She wears what she wears and does so with pride and grace.

March 17, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  2. annie - Palin 2012

Now I am really getting ill!

March 17, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  3. xyln

I adore Michelle Obama and I generally think she looks lovely in most of the outfits she wears....

March 17, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  4. Ken in NC

I'm proud of our First Lady.

March 17, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. Carrie

I have no negative comments to say about Mrs. Bush. I know she is a decent lady. I will say that this is a very stressful time for all Americans with all the issues we are facing. Having these daily examples of kindness gives us all a chance to take a break from the challenging and sometimes disheartening situation we are trying to fix. Bravo to Mrs. Obama. Keep it up, America needs it.

March 17, 2009 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  6. heathma

Republicans...get over it! Here's to eight years, no blarney!

March 17, 2009 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  7. Linda in MS

Mrs. Obama is a wonderful role model for all young women today.
    I know she is an inspiriation to many girls from all backgrounds, and I greatly admire her. My comments are not because I am "sheeple, kool-aid drinker" or any other stupid insult, so don't bother.

March 17, 2009 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  8. Texas Woman

WOW! great. i really am proud of Michelle. She is so real. and for all of you that hate, please go away...

March 17, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  9. Hezekiah

Hope she didn't get those blue jeans and t-shirt too dirty working today! Oh wait....she's wearing a nice sweater and slacks – whew...glad she's doing work in business attire!!!

March 17, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  10. Jean Mayier

Wow. You do a great lens. Very interesting and informative. It is very useful for the readers when they read your post. Anyway, I’ve enjoyed reading your post and I gathered a plenty of information about it. Thank you.

San Antonio Custom Home Builders