March 19th, 2009

Pelosi stands by immigration raid remarks

House
House

(CNN) – House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that she was standing by her statement that enforcement of some existing immigration laws is "un-American."

"ICE raids that separate parents from their children in the middle of the night are un-American, and I stand by that," Pelosi said when questioned about her remarks made last week at an immigration rally in San Francisco.

"We have to enforce our laws, we have to control our borders..." the California congresswoman told reporters. "We have to protect our workers, we have to, I believe, have a path to legalization for people who are in our country who are not fully documented. But we don't have to kick in doors in the middle of the night and take fathers out of their homes and think that we are solving the issue when we really need comprehensive immigration reform."

On Saturday, at an immigration rally in San Francisco, Pelosi criticized the practice of work site and housing raids conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. Pelosi praised the predominantly immigrant audience, calling them "very, very patriotic" for "taking responsibility for country's future" by attending the rally on a Saturday night

"Who in this country would not want to change a policy of kicking in doors in the middle of the night and sending a parent away from their families," Pelosi said Saturday. "It must be stopped. What value system is that? I think it's un-American. I think it's un-American."

Filed under: Immigration • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Wondering

I'm a very liberal democrat, however, the illegal immigration issue is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

No blanket amnesty – It has been tried, and it didn't work..... remember???

March 19, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Marsha

This Country is a nation of immigrants...most of you critics on here have blood lines from a foreign country so stop with your hypocritical bs and give them a good solution to the problem, this problem will always exist........

March 19, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  3. Change in America

Help American citizens before you help out sider who dont belong in America legal....American are suffering more then illegals

March 19, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  4. California Gold

Enforcing the laws of the land? The speaker of the house is against this? Look Nancy. None of this is a surprise. If you are undocumented then you are undocumented. No one is ripping families apart. Undocumented Mommy and undocumented Daddy can take Junior and all his brothers and sister with them. Go. Be an intact family unit elsewhere. Problem solved.

March 19, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  5. Rose

I can't help but wonder if this woman is playing with a full deck, is she nuts!! She is going to destroy her very own party with her stupid remarks, keep it up and you will be out of a job unless your people in San Francisco are just as strange as you are. What a HAG.

March 19, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  6. Otto

It would be a wonderful idea if most Americans would take the time to work in other countries. First, you must not use an American document but go via an alternative method.

My reason for saying, don't use American documents is that as long as you are an American, most countries will give you access.

If for any reason you do wish to try this idea, you'll find that life in another is like living in Bernie Madoff's cell; 7.5' X 8" with no windows.

Everyone in America if of immigrant parents except the American Indians. Everyone entering this nation should have proper papers and should not be allowed in with them. What I read from her statements is that she does not believe it is right to seperate families; particularly kicking down doors in the dark of night.

Every person, legal or illegal is subjected to the same laws and if an illegal person is caught; he/she must be tried and sent to prison, then deported.

I wonder if the angry people every left their villages or venture beyond their State. People should travel more and learn what it is like in other nations. People will then find out how blessed Americans are but being angry at anyone who is not American gives a bad taste in the mouth. Bad people, people who are involved in any type of crime or illegal matters should not be allowed entry.

I think a closer look should be done about these matters as there are thousands who are here legally and still get caught up in this mess.

This in it's self is a touchy subject, particularly in this ecconomic condition but I will bet that most angry people will gladly employ the illegals to do their dirty work IF only they could afford to hire them.

March 19, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  7. PGG

Wow, some serious anger here. I think she is saying we need to enforce the laws, but NOT BY THE METHODS WE CURRENTLY USE. Read everything, not just what you want to select.

March 19, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Peter

I despise this woman greatly..

March 19, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  9. DB

I agree with her. Most of them are here in search of a better life. My grandparents were not born here, and we all need to remember when our own families immigrated from. It is unacceptable to take parents away from their children. I hope we see improvements in our immigration laws to help solve this problem. We all need to remember we are talking about "people". With the great number of illegal immigrants here, we need to establish a system that works to allow them to come forward. Many of them have been here for years and contribute to our society.

March 20, 2009 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |