March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Elisabeth

Meghan is the only chance the Republicans have to attract some younger voters. The party could take some lessons from her.

March 24, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  2. m

Meghan McCain is a huge RINO..... And I'm not talking about her weight. She looks fine. But she is a Republican in name only.

She was an independent in 2004 and voted for Kerry. She became a republican in 2008 to support her dad....who lost because he is a RINO.

She has no business speaking on behave of republicans or politics in general.

She was an art major for crying out loud. She makes a living "blogging" .

Get a real job

March 24, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  3. Michigan

The Republican party has a LOT to LEARN from Meghan...especially other female R'cans!

March 24, 2009 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  4. CJ

I love this wonderfully bright lovely girl . I read her blogette and am a fan. I am a liberal , did not vote for her father and could be her mother as age goes . I just hope she could be the voice of a new updated republican party. I have become very concerned about the future of this party with their hate filled and judgemental views on social issues. When I see a 24 yr old with her inclusive views modern ideas, it gives me hope. I am for a 2 party system and I am seeing a very old outdated GOP here in the south especially, that is too filled with hatred for Pres Obama and wishes him ill will. As a Christian , this to me is at odds with the true teachings of Christianity.

So Meghan I hope you can encourage other young people to become more like you. To pray for all our Presidents to not fail but to succeed so we can go forward not backwards. We went backward for 8 yrs and now we have a lot of catching up to do to show the world who Americans really are.

So you go girl!

March 24, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Shannon

Moderate conservatism is the future of the American party. Mini McCain is a perfect example of what the Rep party needs to become if it wants to survive the next couple of generations.

The Rep party is dying a slow death....then need a broader tent...not social conservative dittoheads.

March 24, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. Expat American

Many folks are quick to issue blanket statements labelling Republicans as hate mongering racist Caucasian bible swingers.

It goes without saying that this is not true. However, it is much too soon to tell is Meghan McCain is going to be a leading voice of moderate Republicans. However, I do admire her confidence at this early stage.

Believe or not, there exists moderate republicans who want the same things as liberals; that is a job that rewards hard work, a home for their families and safety.

March 24, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  7. Uh Oh

As a Democrat, Ms. McCain frightens me because she could win elections. Give me the party of Rush anyday!

March 24, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  8. Kaylan

What a shame. She should support her father's views and not suck up to the current administration. It is most likely her age, as today kids are so indoctrinated by the media and Hollywood. Just shameful.

March 24, 2009 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Hmmmm....

I was once 24 – seen a lot and understand much more than I once did.
    Love her enthusiasm but I also understand she is the product of her environment and she will change over time as we all have. Until then, it is more who she is than what she knows...essentially another elitist riding on the coattails of someone else right now.

Still, these are the people who become leaders- will be interesting to watch as she grows up some more.

March 24, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. The Last Patriot

The media have found someone to love. A cool, hip, young, "Republican" who supports the most liberal president we have ever seen.

Here's the rub people: she is no conservative. So to hold her up as a representative of conservatives is wrong. Being a conservative means having conservative values, like those enshrined in our Constitution. It is not about being registered to a particular political party or having a Republican father. (I'm sure liberals would not appreciate having someone like Joe Lieberman anointed as their leader either)

A true conservative would not support the policies of Barack Obama because they contradict core conservative principals. John McCain is no conservative either.

To hold up this lady as a saint and as someone who "gets it" because she supports the President is nonsense. This country was built on checks and balances and respectful disagreement. It was not built on sheep who just "go along" with a leader who happens to be popular with the young crowd and how can give a good speech.

We don't need watered down views and blissful political harmony. Politics is about ideals and principles, and valid principles do not need to be moderated or compromised.

March 24, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. John-Racne, WI

Go Meghan!

Very well put!

March 24, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. mike

First of all Meghan you make sense, and you don't seem angry; Good luck with the Republican party

March 24, 2009 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. Lori

Meghan supports our President and so do the majority of Americans. Now, if she could just translate her intelligence into the minds of other Republicans, they may be in better shape right now. On second thought, I enjoy the Republicans maintaining their ancient ways of thinking. It's helps the Democrats maintain its young voters.

Pssst Meghan. Jump ship. The Republican party on a whole is fast sinking.

March 24, 2009 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  14. mary dale

If Meghan is the new face of the republican party, it may just have a chance to survive. What a breath of fresh air after the stale NO republican party that currently is blathering on every news show they can get on to protest that Obama has ideas and they dont.

March 24, 2009 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  15. Sharon

I support the Office of the Presidency but I do not have to support every word or action or policty that comes from the seated President to be an American who loves her country. Supporting our form of government and supporting the seated president are not synonymous. I have a choice and I can say what I support and what I don't support, that is freedom of speech. Megan McCain does not speak for me.

March 24, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  16. Beth

Steve is right. Meghan McCain, although she is extremely intelligent, is being used by the media. Her father was the media's sweetheart when he was running against Bush in the primaries, but they turned on him when all was said and done. I am very happy that she supports the President. I am a conservative, but I hope he can get us out of this quick. But make no mistake, she does not agree with Obama on many issues, such as Guantanimo Bay.

March 24, 2009 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. Marv...

The TRUE next generation conservative. Forget that nut case in South Carolina and the fruit case in Alaska. Maybe John McCain had the VP candidate right under his nose.

March 24, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  18. itbeme

I knew it! She's really a dem and doesn't want to tell daddy!

March 24, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  19. Debby

I don't agree with her. If a current President is going in the wrong direction for America then I don't have to give any support for their policies. Obama hasn't been in long enough to really be evaluated but if there is any indication what Dem's like Frank, Dodd, and his own administration is doing right now then we are in big trouble.

March 24, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  20. SoCalGal

Megan sounds more intelligent here than half of our Washington politicos. Unfortunately, Obama's a rock star whose shine has already flamed out.

March 24, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  21. Joel

Wow!!!. This can not be true!!!. A Republican supporting our President? This is about the most sensible words from the Republican Party since after the Election. Maybe there is still hope for the Party

March 24, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  22. Pittsburgher

Meghan McCain Is a breath of fresh air. I used to identify myself as a moderate Republican but that's looked down upon by rigid right-wing group that wants to control the party and people's private lives.

In Pennsylvania, we've had good, moderate Republican leaders like Bill Scranton, Tom Ridge, Arlen Spector, Dick Thornburgh and John Heinz.. But some of them have been degraded as RINOS by the right-wing because they weren't conservative enough.

When a very capable leader like Tom Ridge can't be considered as a Vice President nominee because he's pro choice, that's sad. The GOP needs to wake up, turn off FOX News and be more tolerant and inclusive.

I liked Ronald Reagan but this isn't the 1980's anymore. The country and its demographics have changed and the GOP needs to accept that. And they need intelligent leaders with a vision, not "hockey moms".

March 24, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  23. Patrick, Lake Stevens, WA

I think this the beginning of Megan McCain jumping the sinking Republican ship to get on board with moderate liberals. She's of a new demographic in America of internet, texting, Y-tube, Facebook, yet serious tech savvy people who want to have a say in how we shape America going forward. Republicans have been slow to get onboard with this demographic and it is something that frustrated Megan McCain during her father’s presidential campaign. Don't be surprised, folks, when the younger McCain announces in the near future that she has switched parties to become a Democrat.

March 24, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  24. Shadysider

She has her own views of the world, therefore Republicans want to disown her. It is this type of thinking that makes me sick. It seems as though anyone must unquestioningly subscribe to the GOP platform if they want to be in the party. This is why many people left it.

March 24, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |