March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. obama-mama

I think Meghan should run for President once after Obama's second term. Here is a McCain who makes a lot of sense. I just hope her family doesn't disown her. At this point she might as well come on over to the democratic team.

March 24, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  2. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Meghan should have told her father to support the President as well. I think if John McCain truly supported the President, their wouldn't be a lot of Washington gridlock. The entire GOP can learn a thing or two from Meghan.

March 24, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  3. John

Sorry Meghan, but you DO have to think one way to be a Republican.

March 24, 2009 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Megan McCain shows that she is not like Ann "I'm really a self hating liberal" Coulter or Sarah Palin because she choses to think and not judge people immedately. This is what we need in this country - more people that think and are willing to understand and listen to those who aren't them.

March 24, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  5. chucky1169469

Megan McCain....a republican who gets it. now we all know she will be grilled to death about this......stick to your guns Megan.

March 24, 2009 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  6. Bridget

She is the future of the GOP. Thank God there are moderate conservatives out there who are gaining a voice!

March 24, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  7. Joe from Oklahoma

I give her credit for being intelligent and well spoken. Charm school paid off...She can be the future of the Repubs, but what else does she have to offer. Is she interested in politics, or is she going to sign a book deal?

March 24, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  8. Nelson Colorado Springs Co.

Ms Meghan McCain I couldn't have said this better "He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president. Move on

March 24, 2009 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  9. The black Spider

Meghan McCain why is it that you are the only smart lady so far in the republican party?
    If you thinking about a political carreer in the future then koudous you are of a very very good start. Your base will hate you because they are buch of stupid alcohoolics easily manipulable because they have no brain to think for themself and believe in any rubish that come out the mouths of the haters (an coulter, sean hannity, bill o'reilly, lou dobbs, gleen beck and the hole fox noise crew and political pundits).
    GOOD JOB Meghan

March 24, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. Lydia

The more Meghan talks, the more I like her! What an incredibly brilliant, beautiful young woman!

March 24, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  11. Dave in California

i believe Ms. Meghan is out to make a name for herself in political roundtables around Washington..... she should be getting a hosting job on the "VIEW" real soon she will fit right in with Behart....

March 24, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  12. Ann Marie

Fine, but who cares? Her father was the nominee, not her. She is not a voice for the Republican party. She is entitled to her opinion but I have no clue why she is trotted out as some sort of an authority on policy. She's becoming this generation's Ron Reagan Jr., someone with no credentials and no real job who trashes the party in hopes of getting some tv time.

March 24, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  13. Jilli

And Meghan McCains opinions are pertinent because...?

C'mon, there's got to be more important issues than feeding this womans ego. She's as irrelevant as her father.

March 24, 2009 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  14. Richie

Meghan McCain is rapidly becoming my Repub hero. Everyone has a stake in our country's success.

March 24, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  15. Dave

I hope the Republicans keep rejecting Meghan McCain. If they listened to her, they might end up back in power and screwing up the country again. Still, she seems like a decent sort...

March 24, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  16. Mark

Why is this news? I support the president too, but it sure as heck isn't newsworthy.

March 24, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  17. Veteran in Kansas

Spoken as an American.................................

March 24, 2009 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  18. Michelle

Even though the mention of the word "maverick" makes my stomach turn after hearing it so much on the campaign, this interview solidified my respect for her. I don't agree with a lot of her and John McCain's more conservative views but I think she's very intelligent. Voices like hers should be the ones the Republican Party lets shine through if they want to be viable 20 years from now.

March 24, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  19. From CT

I really wish her all the best, I was listening to her interview and she's a great person, very wise for her age, very open minded, I wish more people were like her. If she is not the future of her party then I feel even worse for her party and can only hope she become's a democrat. Again I wish her all the best and I hope we get to see more of her.

March 24, 2009 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  20. TRUTH

Who cares. She is a tolken liberal. The shallow liberals are doing the same with her as they did with her dad, using her against Republicans. No Republican cares though, because she is meaningless and does not share any of our ideals. She's the Paris Hilton of politics

March 24, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  21. pete

This comes as no suprise. She is a dem. in a reb. suit. Her father is more dem then reb. anyway.

March 24, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  22. J.P.

Like her father, Meghan McCain has no principles or convictions and instead bases her self worth on the approval of people who never have nor never will approve of her. There has got to be some sort of pop-psychology term for this level of self-loathing and lack of self esteem.

Meghan, sweetie, pay attention... liberals hate you. In fact, they likely hate even the ground upon which you walk. They only like you NOW when you're bashing conservatives, and the moment they think you even slightly disagree with them or anything they believe, they'll throw you under the bus in the blink of an eye. Don't believe me? Just ask lifelong Democrat and bigtime Democrat financial contributor Jim "Mad Money" Cramer. He still has tire tracks on his back from Obama's Spare-Change Mobile. How dare he say the emperor wears no clothes!

Obama is working overtime to do for Democrat presidential chances what Carter did for it. Enjoy wandering around in the wilderness hippies.

March 24, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  23. Trit

Finally, a senseful Republican that shows her support for our president, and doesn't bash social issues that should have no place in politics.

March 24, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  24. MJ

Does anyone really care what this girl thinks? What has rocketed her into stardom? Her dad. Yet she seems pretty disrespectful towards him. Not that children can't disagree with their parents...but seriously, she always just seems to be saying whatever can get her another 15 seconds in the spotlight. Does she have anything of substance to say?

March 24, 2009 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  25. Texas Coach

Why do we care what she has to say, she is not a conservative and does not speak for the republican party. Our party is not going to cave and be more moderate, we are true conservatives and that is what we will stand on. If people don't like it then to bad, it's what our country was built on and we wil not change our beliefs for anyone. There are more of us who will stand up and fight for our country.

March 24, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |