March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Big Ed

I have to respect her. She seems to have her head on straight. Courler and Limbaugh should listen more to her than the obnoxious voices in their heads. She is going to have more and more influence as time goes on and I think that could very well be a good thing.

March 24, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. CR

Meghan you sound like a very intelligent, informed, wonderfully centered young woman! This Obama Team Leader salutes you!

March 24, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. Charlie in Maine

Dear Meghan,
    If you can get your party to listen to you instead of bad-mouthing you they will have a bright future. If not I know of a party that would love to have you and every other moderate Republican. So if you don't feel welcome anymore we have room in the Democratic party.

March 24, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. Debi

I still get the impression Meghan voted for Obama.

March 24, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. Karen S Crow

Hmmm ... Apparently the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. (Dad is a RINO/DemocRat Lite & so is she.)

Oh .. and Ms McCain ... your 15 minutes of fame are over. Go back to where ever it is you came from.

Buh-bye!

March 24, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. videodrome

Any Repub that is willing to rise up against the conservative factor of this party is alright by me.
    Fiscal responsibility is one thing, but the neocons and religious extremists need to go.
    Give them hell, Meghan.

March 24, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  7. Mercedes

There is a clear positive path for this bright young well educated woman who has the posibility to bring so much to the party she chooses to support. She makes me proud of being a american woman.

March 24, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  8. PA Dem

Yes, the young woman speaks with sense. While she (and many other republicans) did not vote for him, the recovery of our country is not about Pres. Obama. It's about US.

Wow...a moderate republican. She may be the last of the mohicans.

March 24, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  9. seriously

You go girl!!! Just tell 'um like it is.

March 24, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  10. FedUp

Meghan seems to have more common sense than the entire Republican Party put together...the old stoggy cows of politics of yore need to be put out to pasture and a new generation of citizens need to step up...campaigns should be fought tooth and nail, but after, recognize the victor (after all he is the choice of the people and not some alien dropped from another planet!) and move on with the business of serving the people. Its disgusting how the 'oldies' can't shed the tired old tendency of moving from one campaign to the next, constantly thinking of their next victory...like a bunch of street walkers sizing up their next 'trick.' Go Meghan!!

March 24, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  11. Gracie, MD

Meghan sounds smarter than GOV. SARAH PALIN and JOHN McCAIN put together, in the sense she makes SENSE when she speaks! I can't believe this child came from John and Cindy McCain.

What's WRONG with the GOP and RNC, are they deaf and blind?

March 24, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. Bruce

Now there's a sensible republican...I never thought we'd see the day. I guess this is the era of firsts!

March 24, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  13. welches, oregon

Meghan McCain – the NEW voice of the Republican party, setting a wonderful example for all – we should ALL support our President and wish his success – for the benefit of OUR Country.

March 24, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  14. Rob

Meggie's support goes as the wind blows. In ten years she'll be trying to stretch out her 15 minutes, probably have a couple amateur videos under her belt. In other words, she'll probably be working for MSNBC (if MSNBC is still around then). She'll be one of those people bashing people like her dad in public, but having no problem living off his money. Hey, she'd make a great lib.

March 24, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  15. gl, Pittsburgh

Ms Meghan McCain I couldn't have said this better "He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president. Move on

I HAVE TO DITTO THAT COMMENT! Move on are get out the way!

March 24, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  16. Freed_From_W

Well the apple doesn't fall too far from t..wait, what?

"I support the president."

So, then, she's not a Republican anymore?

I'm confused.

March 24, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  17. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Who cares about this McCain girl? Yet another princess with nothing to do but yap and yap.

March 24, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  18. welches, oregon

Watch and wait for it – She's being groomed for the Arizona Senator slot since her dad can't/won't get elected again. It won't work though. We're done with Bushes, McCains, and the like.

March 24, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  19. James L.

I like her, she really puts a more REALISTIC face on the GOP who in years has shall I say a plastic white face. Very refreashing young lady. You go girl!

March 24, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  20. DaMaestro

Again, Why is Meghan McCain the only dinosaur that makes any sense. She should be the leader of the Woolly Mammoths.

March 24, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. Lu

Meghan, you can teach your father a few things about politics.....you go, girl!

March 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. big daddy

I would vote for Meghan !!

March 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. yuri

Atta girl, Meghan! She sure as heck poses a serious stumblin' block for the select few in the GOP's conservative corner. LI, RL, and AC can start bitin' their nails forthwith-which we seriously doubt, though.

Nevertheless, Meghan's meanderin' into the ultra-conservative crowd's madnesses brings kudos, and she should keep up the good work.

March 24, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  24. flybyshoeing

To Truth... Maybe you could tell us all just what those Republican ideals are? None of your Republican representatives seem to be able to get their message across to the American people. They may have a chance for a come back if they would tell us all what they have in mind for this country. America has soured on your party because they fail to come up with good answers. They need to become more moderate if they hope for any of us to take them seriously again.

March 24, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. NorVA

Wow, a republican that I am begining to admire. I didn't think it was possible.

Is she really a republican or just playing one on tv?

I would vote for Meghan quicker than Palin anyday.

March 24, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |