March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Uncle Sam

Perhaps Meghan McCain could give some tips to her father and the other repugs. If they started using their brains before opening their mouths, they might go back to being repubs instead of repugs.

March 24, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  2. mimi

Wow !!!! A Republican with brains.......kudos to Meghan.

March 24, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  3. ran

We all should be supporting this President. Once an election is over our elected officials should put party away and start to do for the whole country until the next election. The continue obstructionism by the Republicans only show their concern for party/power and not doing for the country and I can only hope more people see this and vote for those who are in politics to do for the people.

March 24, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  4. Joyce Becker

Meghan McCain said what all good Americans should say no matter what their party is that they support our President, it is OK to differ with him on specific issues when necessary, but basically support him as he is trying to get this country out of the financial mess that he inherited. I hope she tells this to her father so he also can help this country by supporting our President.

March 24, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. Ariana

JP,

Actually you're WRONG. We liberals tend to like people who are intelligent and not hate mongers. And in this case, we LOVE Megan McCain! We just wish more Republicans had common sense like her!

March 24, 2009 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  6. Rick James

I wish she could have run for president instead of her father. In fact, I hope she does run for Congress eventually. It is nice to see a Republican that stands for their issues without trying to destroy someone else.

March 24, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. Paul from Phoenix

Meghan is proof that our party has hope. THe old cronies will be gone within 4-8 years, and young republicans with more open ideas will rise up. People like Jindal, Gregg, Steele (minus the recent slip-ups), they will lead the party to a more open platform of inclusiveness.

It happend in the Dem party with JFK, it is happening with Obama, and it will happen with the GOP.

These cycles are necessary for either party to survive. Let's not forget that in 2002, people were saying the Democrats were dead, with Bush becoming the first President to gain seats in in Congress in his first off-year election.

Things change quickly in the world of politics.

March 24, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  8. Ahmed

Meghan McCain is an intelligent free thinker. She champions progressive thinking in congruence with the ever changing social dynamics. She really represents the party of Lincoln, the party of wisdom, the party of freedom, the party of diversity.

Ahmed

Omaha

March 24, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. Big John

I have a lot of respect for Meghan, she obviously gets it, too bad the rest of the republicans don't learn from this beautiful, intelligent young lady.

March 24, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. Edward Blake

If the Republicans start allowing more voices like Meghan's to be heard, then they might not be the minority party anymore. They might actually be able to connect with mainstream Americans again.

March 24, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  11. parker

I like her. She is smart, outspoken, independent ( and,sorry but this is NOT politically correct), HOT!

March 24, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  12. TRUTH TELLER

We have to support him, by supporting him we are supporting ourselves.

March 24, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  13. liz

Smart girl.

March 24, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  14. Dennis

She has a lot of her dad in her. He was the true bipartisan cnadidate.

March 24, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  15. Too True For You

Republicans, THIS is the new leader of your party, not the right wing tin horn orchestra on Fox and on A.M. radio. Smart, informed, attractive, positive, engaged, has new ideas, not in denial, not living in the past, not manufacturing fake outrage, hmmmm..... wait a minute.....aw, she sounds too much like a democrat for the Red State Party Purity Patrol to accept her.

March 24, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  16. Ryan Indianapolis

I dont like Megan McCain and think the left is using her as a toy right now, but how many democrats during Bush's years said they supported him????????? The doublestandard is riddiculus. Democrats never gave Bush any support and all they did was try and tear him down. That is why I will never support another democrat after seeing what they did to Bush and the way they treated him. Democrats really should be ASHAMED of themselves.

March 24, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  17. Florida Joe

She sounds like her Dad prior to the 2008 run..........If he had kept true to himself rather than pandering to the far right, the election might have been different........He would not have won their votes but he would have won a lot of the others that are more moderate. Refreshing to hear a Republican with some common sense............

March 24, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  18. deepa

hats off the parents who brouhgt up to this lovely child so mature for her age and so dignified. The way she represented herself, her country, weight issue was totally beyond her age. this young girl has a long bright future. very pleasant. and great job mom cindy and dad john. we could have watched her whole day.

March 24, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  19. Shari, NY

I support Meghan's opinion. She should run for President next time around. The "old boys' club" needs to be replaced.

March 24, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  20. mark

Meghan McCain Welcome to the big goverment, Goverment will take care of you party,high tax, welfare party.

March 24, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. Martin

Why can't more Republicans be open-minded? The contrast between her and Rush/Hannity/Coulter is so extreme, but at the same time, refreshing to think there might be more out there like her.

March 24, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  22. Bethie in Texas

This is actually the intelligent response that I have been expecting since the election. When you have a popular President who is elected fair and square, one expects the losing party to give the new guy a chance. Until Bush decided to invade Iraq, he had my full support though I didn't vote for him (and his election in 2000 was much less of a mandate!).

Many Republicans in the spotlight have been sore losers, and it reflects poorly on their party. It's going to take a lot of voices like Meghan McCain's to overcome the negative rhetoric and gain respect. One doesn't have to agree with all of Obama's policies, but hoping he fails is not only stupid but also devastating to the reputation of the party. I appreciate Republicans like Meghan and also my parents, who, the week after the election, immediately said that they were praying for Obama. We have got to work together to get out of this awful mess!!!

March 24, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  23. Jon S.

At least one Republican gets bipartisanship – the rest have apparently decided to war with our President, even if it takes the country with it – witness the GOP governors refusing stimulus money – nothing like sacrificing the needs of your constituents to boost your own over-developed egos. And anyone really considers Jindal a viable Presidential possibility? Speaks volumes about the weakness of the GOP.

March 24, 2009 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  24. AnnMM

I loathed Bush and knew he would fail but I never hoped he would fail and I always thought of him as "my President". Isn't thinking any other way un-American?

March 24, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  25. Debra from Georgia

I think Meghan McCain is awesome. Keep it up Meghan, and you look fine, a pretty girl with a pretty smile and an awesome mind. Good luck

March 24, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |