March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. BL

This is a refreshing example of a younger republican who is thinking for herself while trying to embrace the ideals of her party, and also trying to reconcile those ideals with the current times. What a nice thing to have a republican who is not trying to make everyone else wrong!! Mr. McCain would have done better choosing Meghan as his running mate rather than what's-her-Palin.

March 24, 2009 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  2. Kate

Why is she relevant? Because whether deserved of the attention or not, people ARE listening to her. Blogs follow her. News tickers report on her. Her thoughts and words have an impact, and finally give voice to the frustration that many feel about the social conservative's hijacking of (and ruining) the republican party.

For too many years, the republican party has defined itself by which group to blame, which group to hate, which rights to take away from anyone not "with them" through their self-righteous exploitation of the voting process (tyranny of the majority) and willful ignorance of the constitution.

Meghan represents a return to debating solutions that are fair for everyone, rather than imposing idealogy and fighting the so called "culture wars" which only the far right seems to be interested in perpetuating in order to maintain their sense of identity and purpose.

March 24, 2009 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  3. Ex-Repug Gal

How is it a 24 year old has more sense and dignity than the older Republicans that are ruining their party and trying to ruin this country? John Boehner and Eric Cantor should get a few tips from the younger McCain.

March 24, 2009 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  4. P. D.

Be careful Megan. You are stirring up the hornets nest. Laura Ingraham went after you because you have the most logical voice of the Republican Party right now. These old stalwarts will never listen to reason. Whether it's Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingraham and Tammy Bruce. They will never compromise.

March 24, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  5. MLH

The more I hear her say, the more I like her. You don't have to have voted for President Obama to now support him. I didn't vote for President Bush, but I never spent any time hoping he would fail, because clearly his failures impacted us all.

March 24, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. SPJ

Meghan is immature and jumping on the publicity band wagon. She is parading around as a Republican wanna be when in reality she is liberal and needs to hang with the Dems. She doesn't understand the basic values of the Republican Party nor did her father. Meghan was an independent before turning "Republican" which coincided with her father’s nomination, but this girl, like her father, doesn’t appreciate the basic principals of the Repub party; instead she ridicules those principals and those people she doesn’t agree with. Meghan is just playing at politics.

March 24, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  7. rb

"I think Meghan should run for President once after Obama's second term. Here is a McCain who makes a lot of sense"

Meghan McCain makes Obama look like he had a log of experience before running for president. What skills does she have to qualify her, do you even know where she stands on the issues?

The Presidents office shouldn't be a popularity contest for who makes you feel the most warm and fuzzy.

March 24, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  8. Sniffit

@ J.P., who said "Meghan, sweetie, pay attention… liberals hate you. "

Slow down there Senator Palpatine: save the "let the hate flow thru you" speaches for the George Lucas movies. The FACT is, we don't hate her. While it's somewhat disconcerting that the media chooses her as the voice of the more reasonable side of the GOP solely because she's a McCain...which really sort of dilutes the message, rather than giving it appropriate weight...there are many Republicans out there who recognize that the social/domestic policy conservatism spurred by the religio-fundy base of the GOP is precisely what's killing the party. They are growing more and more willing to admit that clinging to those voters as though they are a lifeline is an errant, self-destructive mistake. "Us liberals" are actually anxious to see a GOP that can be fully engaged in a responsible, meaningful, and pragmatic manner on the issues and doesn't just smear, fear, pander, play games, rinse and repeat. It would better our country. You keep clinging to that hate and projecting it on others tho...it will destroy you in the end.

March 24, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  9. Slider

It explains much about the vapid cluelessness of her generation.

March 24, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  10. Brian Crooks

I keep hearing people say that she doesn't understand or believe in the principles of the Republican party. What's that based on? She said she's fiscally conservative and a military hawk. What, because she's personally pro-life but thinks the government shouldn't legislate womens' bodies it means she can never be a Republican and doesn't understand the party's principles? I don't remember a radical pro-life agenda being the BIGGEST principle on which the party was founded. But if it is, I say AMEN because there are less and less extreme pro-lifers out there every voting cycle and if that's the ultimate Republican litmus test, the Democrats will be in power forever.

March 24, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. Mimi

She definately "talks the talk, " now, the rest of her years we will see if she can "walk the walk" TOO...right now, she IS a breath of fresh air coming out of the repub party ! Kudos girl !!!!!

March 24, 2009 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Independent_me

I really like this young lady!
    I used to be a Republican but, over the years, came to despise that party. It was hijacked by Taliban-like extremists who skillfully used religion to divide the nation. Meghan might be the one to save the Republican Party. She is level-headed, pragmatic and has shown more maturity than prominent and influential Republicans far older than herself. I predict that Meghan – NOT Palin – will lead the Republican party into a brand new day!

Heck, when that day comes and the Party has become more enlightened, I may even support them once again!

Hats off to you, Meghan!

March 24, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. Chryssa

Just admit it girl, you're a Democrat. :)

March 24, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  14. banderson

I like this young lady more and more. She is intelligent, attractive and seems like someone who would be nice to hang around with.

March 24, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  15. John in Ohio

"I happen to think the girl is correct about her generation loving celebrity status and those that have it.

It explains much about the vapid cluelessness of her generation.

Bad news, buddy. We're the future.

If prior generations had critical thinking skills, we wouldn't be in the poor position we're in now.

March 24, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. Fitz in Texas

To: Texas Coach

Very well said and you can count me as one that will stand up for my country and fight.

March 24, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Dave

I know one thing! She does not speak for this Republican. I can think for myself, unlike most liberals. Grow up Meghan!!!!!!

March 24, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  18. Mike Smith

This board shows the irreconcilable split soon to break apart and then heal the Republican party. Some of us remember when being a Republican meant valuing fiscal conservatism, personal freedoms, and state governing. Now the loudest Republican messages focus on fear and hate. While these messages increase the party numbers, they do nothing to strengthen the party’s future. Party members with real Republican values have been too quiet for too long, knowing that their true agenda would alienate the new adopted base.

It will be interested to see how this all goes. Hopefully more republicans will stand with Meghan…

March 24, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  19. Dave

Please tell me why what the daughter of a Senator says or thinks is relevant or newsworthy? Are you trying to create an impression that Meghan McCain represents the Republican Party or that there is some sort of rift among members in the McCain family? People Magazine is the more appropriate forum for articles like these.

March 24, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. Sniffit

@ Slider, who claimed "Were it not so, and her generation had the critical thinking skills of generations prior, Obama would never have been president."

I tend to disagree. I AM that generation and I can tell you with full confidence that it's precisely because we have critical thinking skills that we recognized that " a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" (Ralph Waldo Emerson) and voted for Obama in order to avoid a mindless repetition of the mistakes of the past 30 years. Most of us don't support everything he does blindly, but there was no way we were willing to continue trodding the same rutted path the GOP had cleared for us...THAT was a road to nowhere if there ever was one.

March 24, 2009 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. Steve

I have neither a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Miss McCain, but could somebody tell me why her personal opinions on anything should matter to the general population?

March 24, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  22. John in Austin

Meghan makes it difficult to despise Republicans. When I think GOP, I think Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity, O'Reilly, or Bush.

But a "progressive republican"? Sounds better than stuck-in-the-1800s republican!!

March 24, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. Film Professor

Meghan is obviously a wonderful and intelligent young woman.

Unfortunately, I would predict that she will be driven out of the GOP by the hard core group in that party that exude intolerance.

March 24, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. The Real Slim Shady

She sets an example worth following. Republicans and Democrats alike could learn from the way she conducts herself.

March 24, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  25. Obama - NOPE

" We like our celebrities ". That pretty much says it all.

March 24, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |