March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. pointofview

miss mccain, please leave the republican party. If the american people wanted republican light they would have voted for your father.

March 24, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  2. meh

Maverick!

I never wanted to hear that word ever again!

Noooooooooooo. You just *had* to say it, didn't you?

March 24, 2009 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  3. Sniffit

@ Steve, who asked "could somebody tell me why her personal opinions on anything should matter to the general population?"

She's certainly no benchmark for political thought, but if it provides a spur for discourse, I suppose it doesn't hurt...maybe even helps.

March 24, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  4. Peggy - TX

What an intelligent young women, she speaks well, she has a point of view and she has stage presence. Too bad she does not have much in the way of a real education or she could be potential candidate material. What education does she have? Growing up in a wealthy family may have made her weak because she has not had to work hard for anything, everything is just too easy. She could have gone to any school she wanted but she seems to have lacked the desire. She clearly has the makings of a good talk show host, but of course the republican political machine would not allow that. An independent voice expressing the view points of many a young conservative. No the old guard would not have that.

March 24, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  5. sarah

Way to go, Meghan. As a republican, I am excited to finally have a fresh voice to represent the party. She is an example of how you do NOT need to be closed-minded to be a republican. I can't imagine why anyone would spend time criticizing her, especially about something as trivial as weight. Ingraham needs to get a life!

March 24, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. Frank

As a moderate Republican, I find miss McCain's attitude refreshing. Her father often bucked party line and she's following in his footsteps. I think Sen. McCain should be proud to call this independent free thinking young woman his daughter and if he should ever read this, "Job well done soldier."

March 24, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. Diane

I used to be a Republican, but I am not into the "hate everyone who disagrees with you" bandwagon. I am not a young "clueless" Gen Y liberal that some of you are putting down in these comments. I am an older American who wants to see the extremists out of our political game and the moderates take over. I have a brain, I use it and I can't support people who want our country to fail. If we would all act like adults and quit demonizing anyone who disagrees with us, our country would be a lot better off, because we could work with each other. Maybe if more people could offer to cross party lines to support what the president is now trying, we could extract ourselves from this mess and be the "United" States once again. Maybe if we could quit saying that all Republicans are evil, we might get some unity going.
    Come on people!

March 24, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  8. JOYCE

Ms. McCain should be commended for being her own person and now can freely express her views on issues of her choice. Surely, her parents are extremely proud of her, because she is basically a product of them and like them will take a stand on her principles as she rightly should.

March 24, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  9. JonDie

A Republican who is actually also patriotic and who cares about her country and not just about herself? What a breath of fresh air! However, Meghan McCain is doomed to failure. The GOP is a small tent with room only for the richest of the rich.

March 24, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  10. Rob

Why is it that Meghan McCain is being demonized for conducting herself in a manner that allows for civil discourse between differing points of view? She never said that she agrees with the President, just that she supports him.

March 24, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. ray

you go girl, tell these obstructionist, these terrorist, these racists, these do nothing morons on the right like it is. they do not want a blackman to strive.

March 24, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Peggy

I saw her on Larry King last night. I thought she was impressive. Like her father she is able to think for herself.

March 24, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  13. Mississippi Mike

Thank you Meghan. This is why Republicans are losing ground to Democrats, we respect the office even if we don't like the person in it. All of the lies and phony indignation by liberals regarding George W. Bush damaged a man's credibility who only wanted to serve his country. I think its ironic that Republicans are willing to support a president we didn't want but it's also telling about the maturity level in both parties.

March 24, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  14. John, Rochester MN

Ryan Indianapolis March 24th, 2009 10:19 am ET
    I dont like Megan McCain and think the left is using her as a toy right now, but how many democrats during Bush's years said they supported him????????? The doublestandard is riddiculus. Democrats never gave Bush any support and all they did was try and tear him down. That is why I will never support another democrat after seeing what they did to Bush and the way they treated him. Democrats really should be ASHAMED of themselves.
    ---------------------------------
    There's a big difference between not supporting Bush throughout his presidency and not supporting Obama now. Bush had his chance to impress, and failed miserably. Outright lies during the 2000 campaign, a very questionable victory in the election, and still we gave him a chance to redeem himself in his presidency. 9/11 happened on his watch, and he had ample opportunity to look into something like that possibly happening, but he was too busy going on three or four vacations in those first nine months to get any intelligence-gathering done. Even after that clusterf- he had huge numbers, and what did he do? Put out more misinformation with the sole purpose of invading Iraq. All within the first year of his presidency. He wasted his chances of being supported. What has Obama done at this point in his presidency to deserve the same?

March 24, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. lynn in NM

Meghan has had her 2 minutes of fame, on the back of her daddy. In case she hasn't noticed, this is America. We have the right to disagree with, to support, or not support, speak for or against any President., or any one else we so choose. No President should get a rubber stamp, regardless if the media has dubbed him as the saviour of the world. That was why the founding fathers set up the Consitution the way they did. There is a system of checks and balances. I suggest you go back to school Meghan and review your history.

March 24, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. proudliberal-independent

i'm starting to like her, now. children usually grow up to be smarter than parents.

March 24, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  17. Aviate

At least there's one member of the McCain family who truly puts "country first."

Republicans, please continue to drive people like her from your party. Your slide into oblivion will then be complete–much to the benefit of this country and the world.

March 24, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  18. Karen- PROUD OF MY PRESIDENT

Meghan, welcome to the Liberal side because you are not a conservative thinker. WELCOME! Which back to a Democrat because the Republican party do not appreciate your way of thinking.

March 24, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  19. Rickymo

Glad we see a Mc Cain with some common sense.

March 24, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  20. rubytopaz

She's the reason why when I start a sentence with "Republicans are" I correct myself and say "Most Republicans are..."

Although when I was her age I considered myself a Republican, and I had similar ideas and opinions. 10 years later I am a proud Democrat, but one who isn't too proud to appreciate a good, common sense Republican.

Maybe in 10 years Meghan will be a Democrat? We'd more than welcome her. Come to the other side, Meghan! We have (organic, low fat) cookies and punch :)

March 24, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  21. Ryan, Denver

Meghan seems like a nice moderate Republican. She's down to earth, intelligent, and fair minded. To bad the right wing are gathering thier pitch forks and torches to driver her out.

March 24, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  22. John Zeger

I commend Meghan McCain for the objectivity she has shown in light of her relationship to her famous father, the intelligence that she has displayed in speaking on important issues, and the courage she has shown in speaking her mind. Kudos.

March 24, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  23. jummai

i am beginning to love this very reasobale girl! how i wish most people can reason well, the world would have been a better place keep it up girl! what a good depature from the Limbaughs, Coulters, Hannitys, O'Reillys, or Bushs of this world! girl you are refreshing!

March 24, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  24. Kwesoe

Megan sounds like a true democrat to me. Welcome to the Party, girl! We need young spirits like you. Radiance!

March 24, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  25. G. Love

Whoever said she was a republican???? (LOL)

March 24, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |