March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Sue

Meghan, you don't have to think one way to be a Republican. It is important that you think for yourself and come to your own opinions. You go, Girl!

March 24, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  2. Lilarose

I am hopeful Meghan will realize her heart is going toward the Democratic "party of the people."

But I disagree that Obama is alienating his older followers. I am one of his older followers, retired 67-yr old female teacher, and I have many friends who are not alienated.

Older people don't switch loyalties as quickly as younger people. As you get older, you have more patience and you check facts before you act.

I am thrilled about Obama's actions taken so far, I think he is totally into helping this nation, and I am ashamed of the ObstructiPubs who are trying to trip him at every turn.

Where is their loyalty to our country? I don't think they have what it takes to even come close to the loyalty my parents had for the US during the Depression and WWII.

March 24, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  3. Mari

One of the things I admire about SOME of my conservative friends and family members that I do not often SEE in these blogs is that once Obama became president, they support him and PRAY for him! NOW ...... this IS TRULY...... Christianity in action, this is truly love of Nation!

I like Meghan McCain more and more. She is quite a young woman, who perhaps will follow in her father's footsteps and run for office. I am reminded of Ron Reagan, President Reagan's youngest son, who is a Democrat. Ron Reagan was not afraid to be his own man, and very likely disagreed with his own father many times.

Having our own minds, thinking for ourselves is a sign of wisdom! Versus the "group-think" of the far-right-folks who listen to Am Radio-hate-mongers or watch only "Faux News" and then mimic or spew what nonsense they are 'fed'!

BRAVO MEGHAN MCCAIN FOR BEING HONEST & BEING YOUR OWN UNIQUE PERSON!

March 24, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  4. B in Pittsburgh

While both parties have their fundamental beliefs, the difference between the Republican Party and the Democratic Party is that the Democrats are willing to accept that there are going to be those in their party that disagree with what are considered "mainstream liberal views". They are accepting of their moderate members. For example, you can oppose things like gay marriage or abortion rights, and still be accepted in the party.

The Republicans, on the other hand, can't handle having anyone that doesn't agree with hardline right-wingers like Limbaugh and Coulter. If you are moderate republican (or "progressive republican" as Meghan put it), who tends to be liberal on social issues, but still fiscally conservative and share conservative views on our national security and military issues-you are not "republican enough", and therefore you should be kicked out of the party and be a democrat! It's so juvenile.

The far right won't tolerate anyone else who does not think like they do, whereas the far left is willing to accept that not everyone agrees with them.

See the difference?

Until the Republicans wake up and realize that this nation is more center-right than on either extreme, and actually starts accepting their more moderate members and listening to what they have to say for a change, they will continue on their free-fall towards destruction.

As for Meghan's relevance, she is one voice of many, and is out there expressing a view, just like we do on these boards every day. There are more people out there who agree with her, both on the right and the left, than you would think. I'm glad to see those views being put out there.

March 24, 2009 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. Vic of New York

Good for you Mehgan! I left the Republican Party when it was overrun with by radical neo-cons. Your good work may one day encourage people like me to come back.

That said I thank God for Obama. This country was well due for mature leadership. Republican or Democrat, we have our luck stars to thank for this leadership of this calibre at this point in time. It kind of leads you to think maybe there is devine providence.

March 24, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  6. John in Ohio

Why do her opinions matter?

Well, why do the opinions of Campbell Brown, or Jack Cafferty, or David Gergen matter?

Meghan McCain grew up in a political household, seeing the wheels of politics firsthand. Complain about her being a Paris Hilton all you want (seriously, push her out of the party, smart competent leaders do not have a home with Republicans now), but what has she done, other then say something you disagree with, to justify that kind of namecalling?

March 24, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  7. Mike C. from Canada

Kudos to Meghan McCain for thinking outside the (party) box. Moderate Republican, Progressive Republican, Moderate Democrat, Progressive Democrat. What's in a name? At this most desperate of times, you are all Americans. Best for now to put personal and party agendas aside and support your democratically elected President as he tries to right the (foundering) good ship "America".

March 24, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  8. FeelinMEGHAN

She is intelligent, confident, not pretentuous, opinionate but yet understanding, rich, bold yet humble and comunicate and relates to the sprit of the country at this time.

in short, MEAGAN is HOTTT!!!!!

March 24, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  9. JSumm

Im am most certainly a liberal, but I have up most respect for Meghan McCain, and find it quite sad that because she is open minded she is disrespected by some of the more prominent figures in the Republican party.

March 24, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. mjm

I love how the twenty-something always seem to think they have a new approach, a new way of doing things. Fresh out of school with all sorts of ideas on how the world should be.

Try working a little before you start to lecture us.

Try to pay attention for 1-2 business cycles.

March 24, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. Joan

I think that Meghan is like a ray of sunshine in the Republican party. I am a Republican here in Arizona and I did not vote for her father. I wanted change after eight Republican years. I think we need more young people like Meghan to once again get Republicans on the right track and get together with the president so the country can go forward. We all need to contribute!

Joan

March 24, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  12. Eric

You try really hard to be open minded but when you see republicans not being able to make the difference between support and agree with, you end up thinking they are even more stupid than what you thought first. McCain supports her President, like most Americans did when the former buffon forced them in a stupid war. Democrats might have disagreed with him but supported him.

With republicans, you always have to correct the facts before even thinking about engaging a conversation.

March 24, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  13. Chris

Miss McCain is not a liberal, she's a conservative. If you listen to her on the round table discussions on Fox that becomes abundantly clear. I admire her for having the moral and ethical backbone to call out the more reprehensible elements of the conservative movement in this country.

March 24, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  14. proud army navy mom

how refreshing to hear calm reasoned speech from a self professed republican. It gives me hope for our younger generation. However, Megan need to speak to her dad because he is one the the main critics.

March 24, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  15. luke

Megan need to be seen not to be heard!

March 24, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. Jim

Like Palin, could you please just go away.

March 24, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. Boisepoet

Sorry Meghan, there's not room for you in the Republican Party. Since you apparently are not a bible-thumping racist that wants the rich to stay rich and the poor to stay poor, since you believe that freedom is for everyone and not just those that can afford it or for those given such grace by the fraudulent pastor of the moment, and since you are a woman that will not be quiet and acquiesce to the men 'who know better'. You cannot be a Republican.

I use to call myself a liberal Republican because I am pro-military, a veteran, a fiscal conservative and pro-capitalism (but NOT pro-corporatism i.e. rule by the extremely rich). However, the pro-Falwell theocrats and stay-ignorant Palinistas chased out those of us who are not rich, do not want to see rule by ministers, and value a liberal education. Republicans have chosen to become the party of incompetence and ignorance, and apparently, based on their actions during the campaign, the party of racists as well.

You do not belong there. Call yourself an independent if you must, but let the party that would destroy America in the pursuit of theocracy and greed hear that you will not join them in their endeavors. Thank you for your stand!

March 24, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. Alex

The sad thing is, this feud was created between Republicans and Democrats. We are all Americans. The common goal is to keep America strong, united.
    It has become a war between the two parties to see who can flex the biggest muscle and to try to prove which party is best. Lets get back to basics and work together. Use common sense, if there's any of that left around.
    Meghan, you are intelligent and you are beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

March 24, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. me too

I support the pres. too

he is getting some impatient responses to his work on the economy, but it took 8 years for Bush to ruin it, it might take a while to rebuild

March 24, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  20. Virginia

This girl is the brightest republican in the pack.

March 24, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. ray ray

Coulter was right.... this child really is just a tool. Too bad she thinks "getting attention" is the same as "respect".

March 24, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. Bill M.

I like her, but lets not all start freaking out here. Remember, her dad used to sound like this too...right up until about late '06/early '07. From then on he was a complete 180 degrees. Hopefully she has a little more will power backbone and stands her ground. Being more of a Democrat than a Republican (I do have a few issues I side w/Republicans on) I think what she is doing is good and sets a great example for others to follow. I would personally do the same for McCain had he won. I wouldn't be sitting around groaning and complaining all day about how "my guy" didn't win. President is president....end of story. I stood behind Bush long enough to know eventually he'd be out of the way, in the meantime you just have to put up with it and get through the day the best that you can.

March 24, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  23. Adam

I am so glad to see her give this interview. I have grown to respect her a lot more of the last few weeks as she has spoken HER own mind rather than just repeat the "Republican script." The one reason I could not in good conscience vote Republican this election was because there was no critical thought, no making up ones own mind, no individual beliefs at all. It was a script, and you either followed it or you were kicked out. She is not following that script at all. She is thinking and deciding for herself and we need so much more of that in this country. Intelligent, careful thought.

Good for Meghan... she is an example to all Republicans of what the party could be again... grand.

March 24, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  24. Glennis

It's really amusing how the tides change. When she was supporting her dad and his ticket on the campaign trail she was much maligned in the media. Now that she supports the current administration, she's a golden girl. I see someone who is swayed by whichever way the wind is blowing.

March 24, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  25. Kat

It's too bad that the GOP will probably try their hardest to push her out of the party, but the fact remains that she calls herself a Republican, and therefore IS a Republican. Argue all you want, but she identifies herself with the GOP and that's that.

She's the future of the party, and the GOP would do well to embrace her and her generation, otherwise they will ultimately die off and the party will die with them.

March 24, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |