March 24th, 2009

Meghan McCain: 'I support the president'

Meghan McCain tells Larry King on Monday night: I'm not going to be bullied around about my weight.

(CNN) - Meghan McCain, a contributor to TheDailyBeast.com, is the daughter of Sen. John McCain and Cindy McCain. But it's her recent verbal sparring with conservative Republicans that's put her in the spotlight.

In a wide-ranging interview on Monday on CNN's "Larry King Live," McCain discussed her thoughts on President Obama, her recent heated exchange with radio host Laura Ingraham, her tattoos and more.

The following transcript has been edited for brevity and clarity:

Larry King: [President Obama] is taking some criticism for smiling and laughing [during his "60 Minutes" interview.] Are you one of those critics?

Meghan McCain: You know, I actually am not. I think anyone that would possibly think that the president is not taking the economy seriously - I just think it's ridiculous. ...

King: [Is President Obama getting overexposed]?

McCain: I think he is on the verge of it. I do think you have to be careful. But it is a different generation. [My] generation ... we like our celebrities. And I think that he realizes that because he is very much a Generation Y president. However, he is on the risk of alienating his older followers.

King: Does Obama seem like the same guy who ran against your dad? How do you view him?

McCain: He's our president and when the election was over and when President Obama won, all negative feelings were gone. I support the president.

Full story

Filed under: Larry King Live • Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Ohio Citizen

She displays an intellectual honesty that is refreshing. There are many older but less mature Republicans who are trying to make hay out of the President's appreciation of the irony of his challenges.

I really like Meghan McCain, she's the Princess Maverick.

March 24, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. Waverydr

The Republican party talks about finding a new face for the party and a way to appeal to young people. When that face appears, what do they do? Piss all over it. Sad.

I'm a strong Obama supporter but in theory I don't want the Republican party to fail, I think its important to have at least two perspectives to balance power and keep reigning party honest. But the direction and attitude of the Republican party now is childish and detrimental to our recovery. Get your act together people.

March 24, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  3. Jeff G.

First of all, why does anyone care what Meghan thinks. She is clueless.

Secondly, She is not republican – She is a democrat who says she is a rebulican.

March 24, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Michael an American Taxpayer

McCain is a blogger not a politician. Shame on the liberal media for fuming this subject to spite the conservatives and shame on the conservatives for attacking her freedom of speech and expression. This is not News people! I support the President too, I just don't support all of his policies.

March 24, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  5. Erika

I wish she would quit calling herself a republican, I really don't think she is one. She said she voted for John Kerry in 2004 and was a registered independent before this election.

March 24, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Jim

I expect her to be excommunicated from the Republican Party shortly.

Her rational, reasonable approach is nothing short of heresy to the wingnuts who have taken over the party.

March 24, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  7. SueAnn Demler

Sorry, but Ms McCain is just a spoiled brat. She has no direct knowledge of anything. She has a lot to learn before she can be considered a reasonable spokesperson for anything.

March 24, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  8. Democrat and proud of it

She is a breath of fresh air. We need more Republicans like her.

March 24, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  9. walleye

Meghan's mentality is the new GOP. Hopefully it will catch on and we can get rid of the anger, bigotry, and ultra-conservative way of thinking. We are all in this together.

March 24, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  10. That Other Jerry

Take a hard look at Meghan McCain, GOP. This is your constituency. Start listening to what she and others like her are saying, and why they like Obama. Get your act together and get on message. Stop undermining Michael Steele. He gets it; you don't. Stop over-coaching potential talent like Bobby Jindal and, yes, even Sarah Palin, and rushing them out before they are ready, only to become sacrificial lambs. And for goodness' sake, PLEASE stop trying to shove Mitt Romney down our collective throats!

March 24, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  11. BusyMom

It is nice to hear a Republican who speaks so logically instead of just spewing hate and trying to inflame the 23% of the country who actually listen to them. Although I do not agree with some of her views, Ms. McCain is an example of what the republicans SHOULD be doing at this time.

March 24, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  12. Willy G

At least there is one McCain who believes in "Country First."

I hope that this isn't a blind trust thing, though. I hope that she will criticize President Obama when she disagrees with him.

March 24, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  13. Beth

Way to go Meghan!!

March 24, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  14. Nacho

@B in Pittsburgh

If you are moderate republican (or "progressive republican" as Meghan put it), who tends to be liberal on social issues, but still fiscally conservative and share conservative views on our national security and military issues—you are not "republican enough"

-------–

This, exactly. I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative, and I don't fit in at ALL with the Republicans because of my views on abortion, same-sex marriage, stem cell research, and other "controversial" topics. I find the Democratic party to be warm and inviting even to someone who IS fiscally conservative, further solidifying my opinion that they are the more accepting of the two parties.

I'm an Independent, through and through, but I have yet to vote for a Republican for their small-minded views and separatism. It's been Dems all the way for me, baby.

March 24, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

Good for Meaghan...at least there is one "conservative Republican" with some common sense. Even her father has fought Pres. Obama's ideas to get us back on track. Maybe it is most of these so-called conservatives who should follow the old saying from the Viet Nam era: "America, Love it or Leave it."

March 24, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  16. laughing@theGOP

she might just be an up and coming republican.. open minded, about change.. willing to listen.. not afraid to face off with people that don't agree with her or her them.. young enough to know American is changing for the better. Knows the old ways aren't the best ways..

I think she is one to watch

March 24, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  17. Shucks

She is just what the Republican party needs. A person with common sense who isn't swayed by the rhetoric of the far right including those mental giants, Limbaugh, Colter, and Ingrahm

March 24, 2009 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  18. Bridget

Texas Coach-very well said. Republicans will stand up for the good of the country and have morals doing so. As a Republican, registered voter and US Citizen I will back the President when I feel he is making good decisions for this country (with my tax dollars) and I will speak out against him if I feel he is making poor decisions. I backed Bush but it doesn't mean I went along with every decision he made and same goes for this President, I will not stand dumbfounded and follow blindly and not have a voice. So I guess that makes me UnAmerican and racist right?

March 24, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  19. Steve

Megan should try this...... She should say something critical of Obama and see how fast the interviews and the adjulation from the liberal media dries up.

Megan, it's ok to speak your mind, but don't be fooled into thinking the media respects you. You're being used. Try my suggestion, you'll find yourself abandoned by the very ones who are patting you on the back right now. Just like they did to your Dad during the election.

March 24, 2009 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  20. John Doe

keep her around, she sounds like the most sane person coming out of November from the republican party. sadly, they're going to push her out the door for sounding "too moderate". they don't understand that this country IS moderate and not all crazy right winged.

*sigh*

to think they're going to push out the one light of hope

March 24, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  21. Steve in CT

However you voted the election is over, Obama is POTUS and even if his priorities and perspectives differ from yours as is the case with me undermining him will do America more harm than good. In 3 1/2 years we can decide again, this time better knowing who he really is.

March 24, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  22. Maureen-FL

Good for you Meghan, It's time someone from the other side agrees we must our President solve this problem of getting our country back on track. Some the older fellows should take a lesson from this younger generation or get out of the way. You always talk about leaving a leglacy for the younger folks, well ask them what they have to say about the child like way you are leading as a NO party. Thanks Meghan McCain.

March 24, 2009 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  23. Pepou

The only intelligent person in the McCain family. Go girl.

March 24, 2009 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. Michael Lane

Meghan has a mind of her own. She is a conservative that does not toe the party line, endlessly repeat the talking points of the day, and uses reasoned argument, not hyperbole, to express herself. And for this conservatives hate her. The Republican Party was hijacked by the extreme right wing of the political spectrum, and the American electorate booted them and their ideology out. Meghan wants to move the party back to the center. For this I respect her; however, the GOP is a fundamentalist, xenophobic, anti-science cabal of white men from the South. She certainly has her work cut out for her.

March 24, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  25. Linda iowa

B in Pittsburgh
    So well put!!! The non-tolerance of the Republican party is akin to the extremist of any religion. "All things in moderation." The extreme leaders in religion, politics and worse yet the ones who combine both are the real danger to democracy (and thier devout followers). If the right wing extremists had their way our country would be a theocracy. Belief in God and country do not recquire the political power of organized religion.

March 24, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |