March 25th, 2009

Obama uses political network to lobby Congress

President Obama's political operation is urging constituents to press their congressmen and senators to back the president's budget.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – As President Obama heads to Capitol Hill Wednesday to ask Senate Democrats to support his budget, the president's political operation is urging constituents to press their congressmen and senators to back it as well - a double barrel lobbying effort targeting Republican and Democratic lawmakers.

Organizing for America, an arm of the Democratic National Committee, sent an e-mail early Wednesday afternoon tailored to each congressional district where Obama supporters live, according to a copy provided to CNN by a Democratic source.

"Members of Congress will begin debating President Obama's budget this week, with a vote likely set for next week," reads the note from OFA's Director Mitch Stewart. "What you do now will decide what kind of debate they have - one that's dominated by special interests and partisan voices intent on keeping the status quo, or one that reflects the priorities of citizens like you."

Stewart then asks the 13 million people who will receive this email to "pick up the phone" and express support for the president's budget to their congressmen and senators. OFA lists the names and direct office telephone numbers for the congressman and two senators.

The e-mail follows a weekend canvassing drive by OFA to drum up support for Obama's budget priorities.

Filed under: Congress • President Obama
  1. helloooooOOOO

and why shouldnt he use the network..I got one of those emails, and I called the people on it...after all, this IS about all of us, forget the party of NO, I'm with and for the party of
    YES, WE CAN

March 25, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  2. JS007

And now we find out if the American people have the attention span to actually affect change. Obama can't overcome BILLIONS of dollars in lobbying money going to 535 people in Congress on his own.

"We are the change we seek."

March 25, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. stormerF

Obama,getting his corrupt political machine reved up,Acorn back in action to phone and email their support....JUST more Shuck and Jive to push a bad plan.

March 25, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. Linda from Minnesota

I got this e-mail and I did call my senator (we only have one because Coleman will not do the right thing and drop out) and I called my representative.

This president is so smart and so organized. His campaign was brilliant and now he is staying in touch with his supporters. Never have I been so involved in government. I write and call my representatives now on a regular basis. They represent me, how will they know what I want unless I tell them.

March 25, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. Brown

Go Obama!

Some people can not even give you 100days!

March 25, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. FreeNLovIt

Failure is not an option. Obama must not fail. There are 300 million Americans and we must seek to it that the policies are aligned for growth and stability. With healthcare, perhaps we can bring down the cost by implementing a global healthcare system? Seek to correct the man not wish for him to FAIL.

March 25, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  7. phoenix86

"What you do now will decide what kind of debate they have — one that's dominated by special interests and partisan voices intent on keeping the status quo, or one that reflects the priorities of citizens like you."

In other words, NO QUESTIONS and NO ALTERNATIVES. Just shut up and and go along.

March 25, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  8. Todd

SO by getting rid of lobbyist in Washington, Obammy meant changing who those were to make sure that they only support HIS agenda and put pressure on those who oppose HIM??

Wow, doesn't sound like the messiah to me....Sounds more like the dictator that he was called out to be!!!

March 25, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  9. Scott H

Wow..use of specialized lobbyists for his own agenda. There's some real "Change you can Hope for."

March 25, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  10. Obamanation

Are we still permitted to criticize the president?

March 25, 2009 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  11. Debby, NJ...foot soldier 'til 2016

I'm on it tonight Mr. President...I will be picking up the phone.

March 25, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  12. Ajay Jain, Garland, TX, USA

President Obama should use the internet advertising to call for voters call to their Congressman and Senators and also through whitehouse.gov

GO OBAMA GO!

March 25, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  13. ron

the cells have been activated.

March 25, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. Jacksonville,Fl

I will do whatever in my power to support President Obama and if that means calling congressmen and senators to express support for the president's budget; that's what I will do. Matter of fact, I will call my friends and others to do the same (support our President) and we will make a difference. I hope congressmen and senators will not take our support for granted because they will have to face the citizens for their next election. So we all can get on board with the president or there will be consequences for all. Remember you reap what you sow.

March 25, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Oh, I'm pressing my congressmen and senators all, for them to get rid of Nobama before he turns this country into an even greater turmoil than he's proposing! That man is absolutely dangerous.

March 25, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. renea

Thanks president obama for your effort. We will get their with Gods help i know we will. thanks for not listening to critics but instead you are fighting for us.thats what you were elected to do. IM PRAYING FOR YOU.

March 25, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  17. NICK

I for one, would love to see all 13 million make that phone call or send an e-mail... When will our elected officals learn that , We The People , want our President to have the chance to show and prove that his plans will work. Maybe 65 million e-mails would convince them.

March 25, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. lil

Good, and they need to get rid of that republican Blye in repulican clothes. Blye is the ring leader. It was his idea.

March 25, 2009 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Mary J.

Lil do you mean Bayh of Indiana? I made my calls but then again I have been calling congress since last week when the conservadems started. Evan Bayh is looking after his lobbyist interests. Anyway, the President has to do whatever to get done what we elected him to do.
    Incredible that the republicans used supplemental spending to fund the wars in Iraq and afghanistan and cooked the books on the rest of their spending. Why did they do that? Because they would be facing the same outrage President Obama is facing now because he is submitting a true budget with all expenses accounted for. How dare the republicans act so outraged when they spent money for wars instead of education for our citizens. How dare them be so outraged when we are rebuilding a country they played war games with instead of rebuilding our own infrastructure. How dare them...

March 25, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. Peter E

Ah, I miss the good old days of secretive government where the president just took the congressmen on some fun trip and either bribed them with promises or blackmailed them with threats. You mean from now on we'll hear about the president openly, publicly make deals? Outrageous!

March 25, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Kurt C.

Do not support this budget!!!! This kind of spending will bankrupt us!

Bahy, if he is criticizing this has finally come to his senses. Democrats are idiots for supporting something that will devastate our economy.

March 25, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  22. Brian Crooks

@ Mississippi Mike: did you even read the article or just the headline? He's calling on the Americans who donated to his campaign to call their representatives, not paying lobbyists to visit Congressmen and Senators. Maybe if you read the whole article instead of just seeing "Obama...Lobby" and going on a rant, you wouldn't look so stupid.

This is what you're supposed to do. When you have a bill that you think will help people, you ask those people to call their representatives and urge them to support the bill. Bush never did it because he had 6 years of a rubber stamp and 2 years with record filibustering by Republicans. RECORD FILIBUSTERING. I made my calls, Mr. President.

March 25, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  23. mb-texas

the leaders are not leading.They are worried the President
    budget and other programs will hurt them politically.They should keep their mouths shut and work with the President.The fact that they could not get the spending bill through the last session shows they need help.

March 25, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  24. Willy Brown

I hope his plan fails!!!!!!!

March 25, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |