March 25th, 2009

Schneider: Obama gives tough answer to CNN

Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.
Obama said he wanted time to think about his AIG response.

(CNN) – President Obama gave a pretty tough answer to CNN's Ed Henry when asked why he waited days to express outrage on the AIG bonuses.

"It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak," he said.

It seemed to imply the question was impertinent.

"After Ed Henry, he looked like he wanted to go home," conservative talk radio host and CNN Contributor Bill Bennett said.

Watch: Ed Henry on his exchange with Obama

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Popular Posts
  1. The Bu

I think it was a good response and I don't believe that the President was trying to be "tough" on Ed Henry. It seemed that he was being very "matter-of-fact." I'm sure Ed felt bad with getting that answer, but for me, it was good to hear a President say that he wanted to get ALL the information before he made a comment on a particular situation. Good questions, Ed, and good responses Mr. President.

March 24, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  2. Sharon

Ed Henry got the Presidental smack down. He deserved it... How many times do you have to ask the same damm question and then try to be cocky and condescending about.

March 24, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  3. KJB

You're kidding, right? Did you hear the people in the room laughing?

Obama schooled the guy and anybody who doesn't see this is in denial.

March 24, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  4. jae

In my opinion, Ed Henry's question was impertinent given The President's outrage with AIG, and Ed Henry should have wanted to go home after Mr. Obama's sharp reply.

Whenever Ed Henry is on CNN, I will quickly turn to MSNBC.

March 24, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  5. John

The question was legitimate, and so was it's answer.

March 24, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. Canada gal

Ed Henry asked the question in the body of the original question. When the President finished giving his answer Mr. Henry again asked the question. To my ears the same question the second time around had an impertinent tone to it. The President demonstrated patience in dealing with this while at the same time putting Mr. Henry in his place.

March 24, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  7. S.M.R.

It's nice to see PBO not taking any crap from no one. He always has a good comeback. Made Ed look silly

March 24, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  8. Sai

The president looked uncharacteristically off color and irritable. Ed probably touched a raw nerve.

March 24, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  9. Richie

It will take time, it will take patience, and it will take an understanding that when we all work together... that's when we succeed. Unfortunately Ed seems not to get that!

March 24, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  10. Sean

CNN seems a little miffed their own Ed Henry's question was treated as "impertinent" in their eyes. Perhaps because CNN itself knows that questions about appropriate-reaction-time-for-outrage are non-substantive. Maybe next time Henry can formulate a question that matters to the American people.

March 24, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  11. Al

Yes, president Obama is a real leader, smarter than all distractors including Ed Henry's petty question When serious problems before him demands focus and wisdom to handle.

Dare to post, cnn

March 24, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  12. From TX

It's pretty sad and pathetic when things are happening in your administration that you have no clue about. It would be nice if we could get some real leaders to run for president. We've had enough losers for the past several years.

March 24, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  13. GEM

No – not in the least did President Obama's rapier response to Ed Henry's querulous question imply that it was impertinent, merely irrelevant. The President had already given a considered answer to Ed's question moments before; Mr. Obama, with trenchant precision, was simply dispensing with the redundant "showboating" follow-up question. Why are the President's detractors so offended when he puts his keen and precise mind on display?

Oh, and by the way CNN contributor Bill Bennett – President Obama is already home; it's called The White House!

March 24, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  14. Eugenia

I thought the President gave an honest answer. It was the perfect answer.

Ed Henry should have been the one who wanted to go home for presenting with such an empty question!

GOBAMA!!!

March 24, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  15. Beverly

Bill Schneider needs to realize that his perception is just "his".
    I would prefer a person that is trusted with the responsibility of President of the United States to take a few days to think before declaring something as trivial as outrage on national TV. We don't need another President making hasty decisions to declare war whether on Wall Street or abroad. Too many lives are involved & from our leader we the American people need a brain not someone flexing his or her brawn.

March 24, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  16. Jennifer

I absolutely loved President Obama’s response!
    I believe this is what my teenage daughter is referring to when I she says, “oh….OUCH ,BURN!”

March 24, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  17. WayneVt

President Obama's response was right on target - a knockout blow - I loved it! Keep up the great work Mr. President!

March 24, 2009 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  18. John

I know they say no question is stupid, but in reality that one was. It takes time for a busy person like the president to get all the facts. I'm not sure what Mr Henry expected to hear but it was quite obvious what he was implying. All in all a very fitting answer imo.

March 24, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  19. Well

Well said Mr. President !
    Some people see and would like us to see in this bold answer some kind of anger and impatience instead of wisdom.

March 24, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  20. Said Bell

I thought the answer to Ed Henry's question is testimony to our President's fine intellect!

March 24, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  21. Biased

I guess CNN doesn't fawn and gush as much as MSNBC or some of the other stations etc. Gibbs does this with Henry too during Press briefings. It appears they don't like Ed's questions so my advice – keep up the good work Ed!

March 24, 2009 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  22. C Gilnack

Bill Bennett is so far off base. Finally we have a President who isn't afraid too take questions, and he wants to go home? Shame on you Bill Bennett. Shame on you!!!

March 24, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  23. Jon

Uh, Duh! it's because he doesn't say anything until his handlers have analyized every possible political angle. The man is an fool without the teleprompter

Open and transparent? A new honesty in Washington? Please save us from what could quite possibly become the worst presidency ever.

He is making Pres Bush look better every day.

March 24, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  24. CNN (Certainly Not News)

I'm so sick of these hot shot reporters coming like an old west gunfighter just looking to add a notch to their gun. Henry's question was pointless.
    These cable news networks are more hype than anything else

March 24, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  25. Joann Kujawa

I think Obama gave an appropriate answer. Look how long it took Bush to talk to the American people about the financial crisis and also to repond to Katrina. Obama is working hard on all issues. He can't work miracles in a few weeks.

March 24, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |